Waiting

Mission: Possible

Kim and Gerald walked the hospital halls in silence as they held hands. The white walls and ceiling seemed to be never ending. Both of their hands are clammy, nervous of the result of the surgery.

They were both asked to dress in hospital gowns and Kim was asked to lay on the gurney. Gerald continued to hold Kim's hand on the way to the operating room. Usually, only doctors were allowed to be inside while they worked operated on the patient, he convinced them to let him stay with Kim at least until she falls asleep. They have been praying for this surgery to turn out well, they trusted the doctors who had experienced something like it once and have done it successfully.

"Be strong baby. I love you and I always will," He whispered.

Kim smiled, "I love you too. I'm going to make it through this, You'll see." Gerald kissed Kim one last time before he was asked to leave after the medicine's effect showed and Kim was already fast asleep.

He sat in the waiting room, where he will spend most of his day waiting and praying. He wondered if he showed Kim his love enough or should he have showered her with more gifts? He could not stop worrying about her, but he needed to stay positive just as Kim advised. He needs to keep it together.

Kim and his family arrived a little later to give him support. They sat in the cafeteria and forced Gerald to eat, "Son, if you don't eat you won't have the energy later. Kim would be able to feel that." His dad said.

"At least drink some coffee." Greg urged. "It won't be good if we have two people in the hospital."

Gerald forced himself to drink coffee and take a bit of the food his mom had prepared. She hugged his son, feeling the pain he's experiencing. "I know, it's not easy. Kim and your little angels will make it out of it unharmed."

He cried in his mother's arms, scared for his wife's life more than anything.

 

Kim was asleep and the doctors have successfully removed the two babies from her stomach and placed them in an incubator. The only trouble they were undergoing is removing the last child which is very risky. One wrong move and everything will be over.

She was dreaming as the surgery was taking place. She was standing in an unfamiliar land, it was grassy and the day was bright and sunny. She could see kids running around and playing. One of them came up to her and pulled her. There was a house in front of them that magically appeared and it was full of mirrors. Suddenly she wasn't pregnant anymore. "What is this?" Kim asked the little girl that pulled her inside the house.

She could see herself in all different directions and it was weird. She asked again, "What is this?" The mirrors and the house disappeared and the little girl started to cry. Kim started to hug her and ask for her name.

"Theresa." Replied the little girl, "Mommy." She hugged Kim.

Kim smiled at her, "You know, that was my favorite name. I wanted it to be the name of my daughter when I was little. ,Where's your mom? Do you want me to help you find her?" Asked Kim cluelessly.

"You're my mommy."

"That can't be, I don't have kids yet. I'm pregnant." Kim looked down at her stomach and remembered her reflection earlier.

The place started to get bright and the little girl started to fade, "Goodbye, mommy. Please tell daddy and my sister and brother I said hi. I love you, mommy. Stay strong and I'll be watching you." She was once again alone.

The doctors saw Kim's blood pressure rising and tears were staining her eyes. They all looked at each other and started to do everything to make it normal again. After a few moments, everything was calm and back to normal.

 

The doctors gathered and one of them told Gerald of the news, "Mr. Anderson." Gerald fell asleep in the waiting room, waiting. His family left for a while, Kim's dad stayed with him but was in the restroom at the moment. "Your wife is now safe and she's being moved into the room." He paused to prepare Gerald for the other news. He sat next to Gerald and patted him on the shoulders, "Two of your babies are successfully delivered and are now being taken care of. Unfortunately, your little girl... she did not make it. I'm sorry." He apologized and left Gerald for some time for himself.

Greg came back to see Gerald in tears, "What happened, son?" He asked, worried for his daughter and grandkids.

Gerald hugged him tightly and managed a half-smile, "Kim made it... along with the two babies, but the other one didn't make it. It was a girl." Both of them continued to hug and cry.

As soon as Greg heard the news from Gerald, he told Gerald's family about it and advised them not to come because Gerald requested he wanted to be alone with Kim.

Inside Kim's room, different tubes were connected to her and Gerald ran his thumb along her forehead. "You made it." He talked to her. "You were so strong. I love you, baby."

A nurse came in the room to check on Kim, she asked Gerald if he wanted to see the babies yet. "Not now," He replied. "I'd like to see them when my wife wakes up. We have to be there together. Please arrange things with my family later when they come... for my little girl." The nurse nodded and left. Gerald could feel his cheeks burning and his eyes stinging. He buried his head on Kim's bed and started crying.

 

It has been two days and still wasn't waking up. Gerald had stayed by her side, his family brought their things to the hospital so he didn't have to come home. A private viewing for their close family and friends were held in Gerald's family home, even he wasn't able to see his daughter yet. All he knows is that he has two more children he has to worry about, a girl and a boy. He hasn't even thought of the names yet. He will have to worry about that as soon as Kim wakes up.

For now, his duty is to stay by her side and wait 'til she wake up.

 

Drama mode, sorry!