Overcoming Obstacles

Mission: Possible

In a short amount of time, Kim regained her health and the doctors had agreed to release her, advising her not to do anything that can strain her and would cause to open the stiches from the recent surgery. The babies will remain in the hospital for a while, like what they've been told. Though excitement filled Kim and Gerald's hearts of becoming new parents, they were also in agony because of the loss of one of their children.

As Gerald helped Kim walk through the long halls to the nursery, he whispered something in Kim's ears, "Everything will be all right."

They looked out the huge nursery window where the other babies were, some crying from hunger, others from the noise the rest of the babies were making and the rest simply didn't care about anything and were peacefully asleep. Kim smiled as she looked at them, while Gerald felt a pang of pain for him and for Kim. The nurse emerged from behind the curtains in the nursery and opened the door for them as she guided them to the secluded area. It is where they have the babies who were in incubators or had some sort of physical deformity. The nurse explained it to them, "We keep them here to avoid stares, some people are simply immature." She shook her head. She smiled sympathetically at Kim and Gerald, "I will leave you alone for now."

They could not believe their eyes as they so their children for the first time ever. They looked like poor little creatures inside a small container, Gerald thought and knew why they were in a secluded area. It was for the better. Kim stared intently at her children in different incubators, reading the tags on them.

Baby Boy Anderson.

She observed his steady breathing and held Gerald's hand, squeezing it. In the little whole, she managed to put her hand through and carefully caress her son with the back of her thumb. His eyes opened and she saw a slight smile forming in his lips. Gerald and Kim looked at each other as they experienced the first joy they had with their baby boy... his first smile. If only they had a camera to capture it all. Gerald looked at Kim and whipered, "We'll come back and take as much pictures as we can." He had closed his eyes again and Kim took her hand out then moved on to the next incubator, her eyes filled with happy tears. She wiped them away as they reached the next one.

Baby Girl Anderson.

Unlike her brother, she was awake and kicking around. As Kim inserted her hand through the hole once again, her daughter had grabbed it and seemed like she didn't want to let go. Her small fingers were wrapped around Kim's pinky tightly. The couple laughed when she tried to put it in , but Kim forcibly took her pinky away. "We need to think of their names, before they grow up and be made fun of because we're not creative enough to think of other names than Baby Girl and Baby Boy, just like most of the babies in the nursery right now." Gerald lightened the mood.

 

As they rode the car back home, there was silence. Kim was thinking what names they could give their babies, while Gerald concentrated on his driving.

People gathered at the house of Gerald's family where they held the viewing for baby Theresa. Kim and Gerald approached the small coffin together, no one wanting to bother them. They hugged each other of comfort and support as they see their child lying lifeless inside a box. She was small and has Kim's pouty lips, Gerald's nose, long lashes that curled and thin, perfectly shaped eyebrows like Kim's.

They sobbed in front of baby Theresa, completely indifferent of the people inside the room.

"Kim, Gerald, please have a seat for a while. I'll get you something to eat." Volunteered Helen, who came with Kim's father.

As they ate, Kim could not get the dream she had with the grown up Theresa and the one she just saw. She saw the similarities they had, the only exception were the age and that the Theresa in her dream was alive and she was able to talk to her.

They received a lot of sympathy cards along with congratulations for their babies. Kim and Gerald were overwhelmed with emotions, as they try to overcome this new obstacle.

 

*******

 

Two months later, the new Anderson house was packed with people awaiting the homecoming of the two babies. Kim didn't feel right that it was the proper time that they would call them twins, when they were actually triplets and one of them unfortunately passed away. She knows that eventually that's what most of the people will call them. She still thinks of Theresa from time to time, as the beautiful girl she saw in her dream.

There were two car seats in the back of Gerald's SUV that has been present at the most important moments in his and Kim's life, as the homecoming of their children.

Kim and Gerald walked excitedly to the nursery were their children await their arrival.

The same nurse who had showed them the babies for the first time was the same one waiting for them. She has grown attached to the kids and also to the family after being a mainstay for two months, they became great friends with Emma, or Ems as they fondly call her, the nurse. "Babies, mommy and daddy are here to pick you up! I'll miss you both." She said as she handed them over to Kim and Gerald. They have grown so much in the past two months that they couldn't believe how tiny they were the first time they came out.

They were nicknamed the miracle babies of Sacred Heart, their birthplace.

"I'm sure their ninang will be glad to visit them every once in a while." Kim replied as little Gabriel comfortably slept in her arms.

Emma laughed, "Not simply visit, I'll shower them with gifts and spoil them that they will adore me!" She joked. She has been in the hospital for quite a while and she still hasn't found her love match, her work being her reason and she just loved kids.

Gerald yawned and Kiara yawned as well, "Like father, like daughter." Kim said. True enough. Kiara took after most of her father's features, her eyes were the only exception; Gabriel was a mix of Kim and Gerald. It was difficult to tell who he looked like more.

They have taken them to the back seat and there, they remained quiet as they reached their first stop. Kim took Kiara and Gerald, Gabriel as they walked the grass and ended up at Theresa's final resting place. Kim handed Kiara over to Gerald and as he held both babies in his arms, Kim lighted a candle. "Our angel, baby Theresa, mommy and daddy are here with your siblings. Thank you for watching over us, especially Kiara and Gabriel and they made it through the most critical times of their lives. Now they are really strong and I always tell them and your dad that you love them and I know that you love mommy very much too. We will always pray and think of you, my baby."

Gerald walked closer to Kim, "Baby Theresa, we're very sorry that we didn't visit last Sunday after church. Mommy didn't feel well, so daddy was worried and I told her it was better if we didn't come. I know that you would want the best for mommy at all times. We might visit less often, but please don't think that we love you less than your siblings. It's just that we will have to spend so much time with them. You would be as big as them now, if you were still with us. We love you, and we always will."

Kim and Gerald looked at each other and kissed. They said their final prayers before leaving the place. It was one big obstacle that they overcame together and they made it through scarred, but not broken.

 

 

A small baby in a coffin is such a depressing sight. When I was around two my mom had a miscarriage at five months to my little brother. His umbilical cord was wrapped around three times and I was about two or four and I already named him and I was sad, I could just imagine how my parents felt then. Most especially my mom. And then when I was a little older, one of my mom's cousin's baby girl died when she was only a few months old. Hay, sorry for being emotional. It's sad to write about this :P