Awake

Mission: Possible

Gerald was asleep on the couch when he started hearing a loud beeping noise. After a while, he heard doctors and nurses running and he noticed Kim's body shaking and he went close to her bed. The doctors barged in and pulled him aside so they can perform necessary operations on her. He watched as he saw Kim suffering. His eyes stung and tears started flowing down his cheeks. His mom came in a little after and saw Gerald sitting against the wall, looking vulnerable as a child.

"She can't leave me," He whispered to his mother's ears. "We were just going to start a family together."

She hushed him and his back, "Kim is very strong, she won't leave you and your kids."

The doctors looked at them after everything was back to normal and explained what had happened to Gerald's mom, who quickly relayed the information to her son. "She's going to be fine. They said she might wake up soon."

He sat next to Kim and started her hands and kissing it. She's pale and she definitely needed some sunlight. He will make sure that he will take care of her as soon as she gets out of this terrible place. Gerald's mom looked at her son and felt  for him. She kissed him on the forehead and told him to eat while she watched Kim.

"You're losing weight too, Gerald. eat so you can take care of Kim. You don't want her worrying about you when she wakes up." He followed his mom's advice.

Gerald's mom looked around the room. It is filled with flowers wishing Kim well. She has seen her grandkids. They are as small and depended on the incubator for life. About the funeral of the baby, they don't know yet. Gerald hasn't talked about it. He still hasn't seen her angelic face, the same with his other two children. He wants to wait for Kim to wake up.

As he looked around the hospital cafeteria for food, nothing caught his attention. The food tastes like nothing anyway. Anything he eats tastes like nothing. Ever since the surgery, nothing appealed him. he had no appetite and all he wished was Kim would wake up. He saw his reflection on the mirrors and believed what his mom said. He is losing weight; his cheeks became hollow and his eyes were deep and had dark circles around them. He just pointed at what seemed the most appetizing so he could at least have something in his stomach.

His mom had fallen asleep sitting on the chair by Kim's bed. Her head leaning on Kim's free hand.

Kim has been awake for a few minutes, looking around the room and seeing the tubes connected to her. There was only a small window on her left and she can't see a thing. A tree was blocking her view. She immediately recognized the person whose head is resting on her bed. She started her mother-in-law's hair.

Gerald's mom woke up and saw the smiling Kim, "Oh, you're awake! Let me call the doctors!" She stood by the door where a small intercom was placed to communicate with the nurses.

After eating, Gerald quickly walked into Kim's room and saw a doctor and a nurse rushing to the room. Fear and worry enveloped him, he followed their suit and ran after them. When he got in, his view of Kim was being blocked. He walked to the foot of the bed to see her wide awake and the doctor was just checking her vitals and removing some of the tubes from her. She smiled at him and he gave her a kiss on the forehead. He was about to kiss her on the lips when she stopped him. "No, I haven't brushed my teeth in a while. The doctors said I was sleeping for four days." He laughed, she still had her sense of humor.

"Did they tell you about the babies?" He asked.

Kim shook her head, "They said that they can tell me or you can tell me. I want to hear it from you." By then, his mom had already left them alone for privacy.

His smile turned into a frown, "The two babies... they survived. I heard they were beautiful. I haven't seen them yet. One is a girl and the other is a boy." He held Kim's hand as he told her the rest of the news.

"Gerald, I've seen her." She told him and he wondered how. "I had a dream. She wants me to tell you and her siblings that she loves us. She's beautiful. Her eyes are like mine, also her lips, but her nose is like yours. I know what I want to name her. I want to name her before we say goodbye to her." He continued to hold her hand and kiss it. "I want to name her Theresa. It was my favorite name." Kim smiled as tears flowed from her eyes. "She will always be my angel. Our angel. How does she look like?"

"I haven't seen any of them yet," He confessed. "I want us to see them together."

Kim touched Gerald's face, "As soon as I can manage to stand up and get out of here, we're going to see them together.