.forty-six.

Fate: The First Meeting

It was a calm evening and everyone was doing their respective works.

As Seungyoon was clearing a table, he knocked down some glasses.

The loud breaking sound had startled everyone in the café.

After hearing the commotion, Jinwoo hurriedly went to the front to check on Seungyoon.

“Seungyoon-ah, gwenchana? Did you hurt yourself?”

Jinwoo then called for Seunghoon to help with the broken glasses.

“Gomawo, Seunghoon-ah. Be careful when you handle it and don’t cut yourself, arasso?”

Seunghoon nodded while carefully picked up the shredded pieces.

Jinwoo apologized to the customers before took the confused Seungyoon to the pantry.

He looked like his soul had left his body.

“Hey, Seungyoon-ah. Are you okay?”

Seungyoon was spacing out and paid no attention to any of Jinwoo’s words.

“Kang Seungyoon-sshi! I’m talking to you.”

Without warning, Seungyoon suddenly screamed his heart out.

“Aargh! It hurts!”

He was seen holding his left chest and was frantically gasping for air.

“Jinwoo hyung, help me!”

“Seungyoon-ah, what’s wrong with you?!”

Not knowing what to do, Jinwoo became panicked and ran to the front.

“Mino-ah, I need your help!”

Mino who was busy taking orders was startled to see Jinwoo being frantic.

“What’s the problem? I think I heard someone was screaming just now.”

“It was Seungyoon. Palli!”

Jinwoo muttered under his breath, as he didn’t want the customers to hear them.

After apologizing to the couple, Jinwoo hurriedly pulled Mino into the pantry.

At the moment they went inside, Seungyoon had fallen down from the chair.

“Oh, God!”

Jinwoo hurriedly came to his aid and put Seungyoon’s head onto his lap.

“Mino-sshi, can you his shirt?”

Mino nodded while his hands were busy ing Seungyoon’s shirt in order to ease him to breathe.

“Are you feeling better now, chingu-ya?”

From his cracked voice, it could be told that he was worried sick about his friend.

“What’d happened, Yoonie? Tell me.”

Seungyoon couldn’t answer any of them as he was in deep pain.

His mouth was turning pale and he kept gasping for air.

As nothing was working, Jinwoo pulled out his phone.

“Who are you calling, hyung?”

Mino asked out of curiousness.

“I’m calling for an ambulance. He’s better to be taken to the hospital.”

Jinwoo hurriedly dialed the number while Mino went out to inform the rest of their staff.

 

*

 

“Where am I?”

At the moment he opened his eyes, all he could see was white coloured curtains around his bed.

Am I in heaven?

Seungyoon tried to get himself up but someone stopped him.

“Seungyoon-ah, you’re at the hospital. Just relax, okay?”

As he looked to his right, Jinwoo was smiling at him.

“But, how could I end up here?”

Seungyoon tried to remember the things that happened but failed.

He had no memory of anything that might happen in the last one hour or two.

“You fainted at the café out of the blue. We all became so panic and decided to call for an ambulance.”

“I’ve fainted? Waeyo?”

Jinwoo shrugged his shoulders, signaling that he didn’t have an answer for that.

“Hyung, did Taehyun call you?”

“Ani. I had called numerous times but all went into the voicemail.”

“Where’s my phone? He might call me but I didn’t pick it up.”

Seungyoon was looking high and low for his phone when Jinwoo pulled it out from his sweater’s pocket.

“It’s here. But I’m not giving it to you.”

Jinwoo then put the phone back into his pocket.

“Look at you now. You’ve to take care of yourself first. Don’t worry about Taehyun. I’ll call him for you.”

Without giving any chance for Seungyoon to say anything, Jinwoo went out of the room.

Jinwoo hyung always treated me like a kid.

I’m not that deadly sick.

I still can manage my own self.

Look.

Seungyoon tried to reach for the water tumbler on the bedside table but failed miserably.

The water tumbler ended up on the floor.

Goddammit.

I took back my words.

As he leaned onto his bed, he could hear some voices coming from the TV.

He could only hear the announcer’s voice as his sight was blocked by the curtains.

“Breaking news. The police had discovered a gruesome crime scene by the tips of an anonymous. Upon arriving at the scene, they discovered two bodies that had been shot on their chests…”

Who would it be?

“…One victim had been identified as Nam Baekdu, the well-known gang leader of the Black Lion…”

Nam Baekdu?

A gang leader with a surname ‘Nam’?

Wait a minute.

“…And the other victim had been identified as a 17-year old named Nam Taehyun. The police had confirmed that the second victim was the son of the first victim…”

Did I hear it wrongly?

No way.

No. Freaking. Way.

Taehyun-ah.

"Nam Taehyun!"