.thirty-three.

Fate: The First Meeting

Taehyun was enjoying the panoramic view of the city when the bell rang.

Who it might be?

I didn’t expect anyone though.

As he walked towards the door, he could hear some voices coming from the outside.

And to his dismay, he recognized that one of the voices belong to his father.

“What do you want? Can’t you just leave me alone?”

Taehyun refused to open the door as he hated to have his father inside of his house, and inside his life too.

“Taehyun-ah. Could you please open the door? I have something to tell you.”

“I’m not interested in hearing anything from you. So, please leave.”

From behind the door, Taehyun could hear his father talking to his men.

Whatever their plan is, I will never fall for it!

A few minutes had passed.

Then, there was a loud bang coming from the door.

They were seemed trying to open the door by force.

“Taehyun! You better open this door or I’ll break it!”

“I said no! Why can’t you leave me alone?!”

Taehyun was on the verge of tears when the loud banging on the door stopped.

“I couldn’t leave you alone. That’s why.”

He could hear his father’s voice changed.

It sounded like he was worried about something.

And it couldn’t be me.

Taehyun then leaned against the door.

“Why is that? Before this, you never care about me. But now, you said you can’t leave me alone?”

He knew that his father wouldn’t be serious.

“Taehyun-ah, why don’t you let your dad inside?”

It was one of his father’s men.

From inside, he could hear they were coaxing his father.

“Let him be. We’ll come back next time.”

As he heard them walking away, he peeked out from behind the door.

He watched them in silence, before calling for his father hesitantly.

“Dad.”

 

*

 

“That’s why I want you to stay with me.”

Taehyun was still processing all the details that been told by his father.

For him, it sounded like a drama.

Or more to an action drama, actually.

After all this while, only to this day that he knew his father was a gang leader and was in pursuit by another gang leader.

And the reason?

His father’s gang was accused of stealing some protection money that was supposed to go to the other gang’s leader, as it was in their territory.

“I was so worried about you when I knew he went to your late grandma’s once.”

What the…

It was him?

Taehyun recalled seeing a man in a suit at his late grandma’s house in Hanam.

At that moment, he could feel chill runs down his spine.

Oh, Lord.

Thank goodness he didn’t do anything bad at that time.

“Taehyun-ah, I’m sorry if this news will break your heart. Unfortunately, he’s the one behind your grandma’s death.”

Suddenly, thunder rumbling could be heard in the distance.

Taehyun froze on the sofa, couldn’t think of anything at the moment.

He wanted to make sure that he didn’t hear it wrong.

“I beg your pardon, dad?”

“Nae. Your grandma died because of him. He’s the one who told her that I’m a gangster and had taken you in to join me.”

Tears rolled down onto Taehyun’s cheeks without him realizing it.

His father took a deep breath before continued.

“On the day my men took you away, he went to your grandma’s and had confronted her.”

No.

Just no.

Please, don’t.

I don’t want to hear it anymore.

Jebal.

“And it was the last day your grandma was alive in this world.”

As soon as his father finished with the story, he stood up.

“Where’s that jerk? I want to meet him and strangle him to death!”

As he walked towards the front door, his father managed to stop him by grabbing his left wrist.

“Don’t. Please. You don’t have any idea of what he’s capable of.”

“But he needs to pay for what he had done to grandma. I had lost my grandma forever because of him! He deserves to die!”

Taehyun couldn’t control his emotion and cried his heart out.

It had brought him to his knees before his father pulled him in for a hug.

“I’m sorry, Taehyun. I failed to protect you and your grandma. I’m sorry.”

He was sobbing on his father’s shoulder while his mind went to the last memories of his late grandma.

“Taehyun-ah, be careful.”

He never knew that it would be the last word he heard from his grandma.