.thirty-two.

Fate: The First Meeting

‘Ting!’

The sound from the microwave brought Taehyun back to reality.

He then took out the croissant that been reheated before munched it slowly.

As he glanced to the clock on the wall, it was already 5 minutes past 10.00 p.m.

He was working overtime at the café for that night as it was closed a bit later than usual.

As he didn’t get to catch the last bus, he was planning to walk back to his apartment.

At first, Jinwoo was going to stay back at the café too but had to leave early to run some errands for his mother.

As Taehyun was walking out, he heard the sound of an engine revving up coming from the side of the café.

When he took a peek at the corner, he was surprised to see Seungyoon was in his car.

What is he doing here?

I thought he was long gone.

Despite the urge to ask Seungyoon directly, Taehyun walked away from the café, thinking that Seungyoon might leave something inside.

It doesn’t have anything to do with me though.

At the moment he arrived in front of a flower shop, he stopped as he couldn’t find his house key anywhere, whether in the bag or in his jean’s pockets.

Oh, God.

What’s wrong with you, Taehyun?

Having no other choice, he headed back to the café, hoping the key was inside his uniform.

Then, he could hear thunder rumbling from afar.

It’s going to rain?

Just after a mere second he entered the front door, it was raining cats and dogs out of sudden.

Heol, thank goodness.

Taehyun was trying to switch on the lights when he realized the power was gone.

Now, this.

Great.

He then took out his phone and switched on the flashlight.

Thank God.

The key was laying nicely inside his locker.

As soon as he grabbed the key, his ears caught a noise coming from the front of the café.

Who’s that?

Taehyun took a look at his watch.

It’s already 11.00 p.m.

And it was raining heavily outside of the café.

He braced himself and turned off the flashlight before walked slowly towards the diner area.

Then, he could saw a dark figure creeping behind the counter.

Seemed like it – or he – was heading towards the cash register.

Without hesitating, he lunged at the figure before took him down.

“If you’re thinking of robbing this café, you’re wrong!”

He then the flashlight in his phone and shone it directly onto the person’s face.

And to his surprise, it was Seungyoon.

Oh, sh*t.

 

*

 

“Ya, Nam Taehyun! What’s wrong with you?”

“I thought that you’re…”

He was stammering, looking for words to explain to Seungyoon, without realizing he was still on top of Seungyoon.

“Can you get off of me?”

Taehyun then quickly got on his feet before reached out his hand to help Seungyoon.

“Mian. Jeongmal mianhe, Seungyoon-ah.”

“Gwenchana.”

Seungyoon adjusted his clothes before walked towards the front door.

“Damn it.”

“Waeyo?”

Taehyun could see that Seungyoon was restless as if there’s something bothering him.

“Why are you still here?”

Seungyoon sighed before took a seat at the table near the door.

“My car broke, and the mechanic couldn’t make it as it was raining.”

Oh, I see.

“So, are you planning to stay here or Jinwoo hyung is gonna pick you up?”

Seungyoon shrugged, signaling that he didn’t have any idea at the moment.

A few moments later, the power inside the café was back on.

Taehyun then walked towards the coffee bar before switching on the coffee machine.

He was thinking of making some hot coffee for both of them while waiting for the rain to stop.

While brewing the coffee, he took a glance at Seungyoon who was busy with his phone.

He was too immersed in his own thought and didn’t realize that he accidentally pushed the button for the hot water.

“Auch!”

As he looked down, his left hand was all red and hurt like hell.

“Are you okay?”

Upon hearing the commotion, Seungyoon dashed to the bar to find Taehyun was washing his hand with tap water.

“You burned yourself? Let me see.”

Seungyoon then pulled Taehyun’s left hand and inspected it closely.

“Okay, keep it under the running water until the pain is gone. I’m going to take the first aid kit.”

Taehyun nodded and did as Seungyoon instructed.

How can you be so careless, Taehyun?

A few moments later, Seungyoon returned with the first aid kit in his hand.

“Just bear with the pain a little, okay?”

He then put the petroleum jelly onto the affected area before covering it with a sterile bandage.

“Here you go. All done.”

At the moment Seungyoon lifted his head up, their eyes met.

Both of them were staring into each other eyes, in silence.

For them, it felt like a déjà vu once again.

As the staring continued, both of them leaned closer towards each other.