Chapter Seven.

Triptych

    Sitting in Hoseok’s chair, you watched as he began grabbing various boxes and containers from the large racks against the wall. He seemed extremely focused on what he was doing, but he also looked like he had done it thousands of times before.

 

Once he had everything he needed, he set the things in front of you and ran off again, this time coming back with a beaker, a pan, a bag of ice and a thermometer. He set all of those in front of you as well, cracking his knuckles.

 

“So do you want me to set it up and you can make it?” he asked. Not too sure what he meant, you nodded and moved out of the seat.

 

“Don’t you want your mask?” you asked, poking his shoulder. He shook his head, putting the ice inside of the pan, then the beaker in the middle of the ice.

 

“I’m not the one mixing the chemicals.”

 

He opened one of the little jars and dumped it’s contents on the ice. You assumed that it was salt, to keep everything cold while you were going to be working. He placed the thermometer inside of the beaker and stepped away from his masterpiece.

 

“Everything is labeled and needs to be measured out perfectly,” he started, resting his hands on your shoulders and guiding you back to the chair. “If one thing goes wrong this whole place could go up in flames.” It wasn’t the kind of pep talk you needed, but it did help you realize that these were real chemicals.

 

Hoseok clapped his hands together, turning to walk around.

 

“First thing you need to do is heat this up,” he said, picking up a large gallon of some pinkish-red liquid. He rummaged around for another beaker and poured it into the beaker, grabbing a glove and a blowtorch. He put the glove on your hand and made you hold the beaker while he held the flame of the blowtorch to the bottom.

 

“You have to get the water out of it so that it can just be nitric acid,” he mumbled, staring at the flame. Once he was satisfied, he put the blowtorch down and had you measure out 9ml of the acid and put it into the beaker.

 

“Next is the concentrated sulfuric acid, measure out 21ml and pour it in very. Slowly.”

 

You hands were shaking slightly with how serious he was about this. You had no clue why he was letting you do all of this, and why he was just letting you run free with this. Nevertheless, you added it in as slowly as you could.

 

“Now just let it cool for a little bit, we need it at 5 degrees celsius. For this next part please. Be extremely careful.” Hoseok gave your shoulders a squeeze before grabbing the small eyedropper to your left, in some weird yellow liquid.

 

“Glycerin; it needs to be added in drop by drop. One to many drops in at once and you’ll be missing those lovely eyebrows of yours.”

 

You thought your hands were shaking before-- But they were really shaking now. You grabbed the eyedrop and held it over the beaker, squeezing out one drop.

 

“Just like that. I’ll be right back, so keep on doing that until everything is gone.”

 

Hoseok stepped away from you and entered through the door to a different room that you had seen earlier. You really wanted to know what was in there, but you didn’t want to get in trouble. Although when you looked back at the dropper and noticed that your fingers had been squeezing for quite some time, you knew all chances of staying safe were gone.

 

A loud ‘boom’ erupted from where you were sitting, making you flinch back and run away from your station.

 

You heard the door Hoseok went through slam open as he came running back in, shoving you out of the way as small flames burned on the desk. He grabbed the bucket of water from the side of his desk, dumping the water onto his desk.

 

You could hear his breathing was loud and heavy, he seemed much more terrified than you were. Once the smoke was gone he threw the bucket down, turning to you.

 

“What the hell? Were you trying to kill yourself?” he yelled, staring you down. You didn’t want to say anything in fear of being taken out, but then again there was a chance that if you didn’t respond that he’d get even more mad.

 

You had muttered out a small no, Hoseok throwing his head back and covering his face. He was pissed, you could tell. There was no doubt in your mind that he was thinking about just killing you now and saying that something exploded in your face.

 

“I’m done with you. You’ve been nothing but trouble here. I can’t have you risking my lifes work and my life itself.”

 

Out from his pocket he pulled out a phone, dialing a number quickly. He tapped his foot while it rang turning away from you when someone picked it up.

 

“Suga, you have someone coming over. Don’t question--” Hoseok groaned loudly, running a hand through his hair. “I don’t care what you’re doing she--” Another pause. “Yes a she, Suga. It’s not like you haven’t seen a girl in your life.”

 

This ‘Suga’ man seemed to interrupt Hoseok more than he should. You could see Hoseok’s patience fading with each time he was interrupted.

 

“She’s no good with me,” Hoseok turned back to you, glaring as he did.

 

“You can come and get her you lazy .”

 

Hoseok hung up, letting out a heavy sigh before pointing to the room he was in when the explosion happened.

 

“Just go in there. You can take the mask off. I don’t want to see you.”

 

Without another word you quickly ran into the room, shutting the door behind you before taking the mask off. From what you could see, there was a small bed and nightstand in the corner of the room, and that seemed to be it. No books, no other desk, nothing.

 

With a loud huff you walked over to the nightstand, setting the mask down. A small picture frame caught your eye, though. Cautiously, you picked it up, holding it up to the dim amount of light to see it better.

 

In the picture was every guy you had seen tonight that seemed to be apart of this group, except for two of them. One guy had a gummy smile and was doing a small peace sign, the other smiled kind of like a bunny and had many piercings. They all looked so happy in the picture, each one of them smiling brightly and mushed close together. You wondered what had happened in the amount of time that this picture was taken to now.

 

From what you heard Hoseok talking about on the phone, you assumed that one of the two mystery boys had to be ‘’Suga’. You weren’t sure which one but you were hoping that they weren’t handling deadly weapons.