Partners Again

Let Me In
 
The next day, just as you were leaving the apartment to go to school, you received a call from Minyoung telling you that she wouldn't be able to make it for school today since she sick and had to stay in bed. 
 
You were a little upset, of course, that you wouldn't be able to see your best friend today but it's not like you could've force her to come to school in her condition, right? 
 
As usual, the seven of you (well, six since Minyoung couldn't make it) met at the lockers and chatted till the first bell rang and disperesed to your respective classes. 
 
Although Minyoung couldn't make it to school, at least you had Chen with you during your Arts classes. 
 
“Hey, did you finish that song for song-writing class?” Chen asked as the two of you walked into your Singing class.
 
“Yeah, I did. What about you?”
 
“Not really. I think I at song-writing.” Chen pouted.
 
You laughed, “It’s okay. You’ll get the hang of it. I’m not that good in that class either.”
 
Chen was about to argue with you and say that he thought you were excellent in that class but the teacher came in and he decided to not talk, just in case he gets into trouble or anything.
 
“Alright class, I have some good news for you!” Mrs Lee clapped.
 
“It’s our school’s anniversary soon and to celebrate it, we’re going to have our annual concert set up for the public to watch!” She cheered.
 
The class started cheering and excited whispers were heard. 
 
"Best part of the news is: you guys get to pick your own groups or partners for the concert!" Mrs Lee said. "For the concert, you can choose to perform anything; dance, sing or play an instrument. It's totally up to you." 
 
A kid raised his hand. 
 
"Are we allowed to pair up with people from other classes?" He asked. 
 
"Oh yes! Thank you for reminding me." Mrs Lee said. "For this concert, as always, only the juniors and seniors are allowed to perform. So you can collaborate with anyone but keep in mind that they have to either be a junior or a senior." 
 
"Assa!" The class cheered at the news. 
 
Chen looked to the side and glanced at you. In his mind, he was already planning to ask you to be his partner for the performance. He kept a mental note to ask you later. 
 
An hour and a half passed by quickly and when the bell rang, everyone started packing their bags.
 
As everyone was starting to leave the classroom, Mrs Lee stopped you.
 
"Haerin, Jongdae and Luhan." She called. "Can I see the three of you for a moment?" 
 
The three of you walked over to her desk. You felt uncomfortable when Luhan stood next to you so you moved to Chen's side, leaving Chen to stand in the middle. 
 
"I know I said earlier that you could pick anyone to perform with for the concert," She said. "But the other teachers and I have discussed and we decided that we wanted to assign your partners for you." 
 
"Whom are you partnering us up with then?" Chen asked. 
 
"Well, for you, Chen," She said. "I want you to perform with Byun Baekhyun from the senior class." Mrs Lee smiled. "Since you are a close friend of Haerin, I'm guessing that you've met her brother before, yes?" 
 
"Yeah, we're good friends." Chen said. "So you want me to do a duet with him?" 
 
"Exactly! The other teachers and I think that your vocals and Baekhyun's would go great together." Mrs Lee said. "We even picked out a song for you two to sing." 
 
Mrs Lee handed him a disc along with some papers. 
 
"I Really Didn't Know?" Chen read the title of the song. "Oh! I've heard this song before." 
 
"That's great!" Mrs Lee smiled. "So you'll do it with Baekhyun, then?" 
 
Chen sighed, he had wanted to perform with you but it looks like he wouldn't be able to. "Yeah, I guess." 
 
"What about me?" You asked. "Who am I singing with?" Please not Luhan. Please not Luhan. You chanted in your mind. 
 
Mrs Lee turned her attention to you. "The teachers and I were thinking that you should sing with Luhan again for this performance." She said. "The two of you were absolutely brilliant during the Midnight Jam and so we thought that the two of you would be great together."
 
You mentally cursed. 
 
On the other hand, Luhan was ecstatic.
 
She took out two more discs and some papers and handed them to the two of you. Love Day? You read the title of the song. 
 
"Likewise, the teachers and I have also discussed and decided that the two of you should sing this song."  
 
You scanned through the lyrics and you felt your eyes start to water again. Do I really have to do this? The song seemed like such a happy song and you didn't think you could handle singing a happy song with someone who had broken your heart so badly. 
 
"Besides, I heard that the two of you were together so I'm sure this wouldn't be much of a problem, right?" Mrs Lee smiled at the two of you knowingly. "So will you do it?" 
 
You were about to tell your teacher that you didn't want to sing the song with Luhan but he beat you to it. 
 
"Yeah, we'll do it." Luhan replied with a smile. This is probably my only chance to get Haerin back to me.
 
As if automatically, you and Chen turned and gawked at him. What's his problem now? 
 
"Great! Then it's settled." Mrs Lee smiled. "I'm sure Baekhyun has been briefed about this as well." 
 
"Well, run along now, you're going to be late for your next class." Mrs Lee said. 

Just then, the second bell rang and she frowned. "Oh, looks like you're already late." She took our three pieces of paper from her file and handed it to the three of you. "Here are your late passes. Now get to class before you get any later." 
 
 
*
 
Soon, the bell rang again and it was now lunchtime. You had left your classroom a little late and ended up meeting the guys late as well. 
 
You approached your usual table where the boys were already at with a scowl. 
 
"Woah, what's wrong with you now?" Baekhyun said when he notcied you walking towards them. 
 
Without answering, you just sank into the seat in between Baekhyun and Kai. 
 
"Hey," Kai nudged you. "Are you alright? Did something happen?" 
 
You sighed. "I have to do it again." 
 
"Do what again?" Baekhyun's eyebrows furrowed as he asked. 
 
You didn't feel like explaining it at all so you looked up to Chen who was sitting opposite of you and told him to explain it to them instead. 
 
"I bet you heard about that duet we have to do, right?" Chen told Baekhyun. 
 
"Oh yeah, my teacher told me about it just now." He said. "But what does our duet have to do with her?"
 
"The teachers also assigned her a partner to sing with for the concert." Chen said.
 
"Oh, don't tell me," Kai sighed when he has a guess on who it was.
 
"Unfortunately,” Chen sighed. "She has to sing with Luhan again."
 
Baekhyun's eyes immediately shifted to you and grew worried.
 
"And you want to know what the song is?" You spoke this time.
 
You dug through your bag and took out the piece of paper that Mrs Lee had given you and passed it to Baekhyun to look at it.
 
Baekhyun scanned through the lyrics and frowned. "And you're doing this because? Didn't they ask if you wanted to first?"
 
"They did. But he said we'd do it before I could say anything." You groaned. "And Mrs Lee thinks that we're still together so she didn't expect us to say no anyways."
 
"If you want, I could speak to Mrs Lee about this and try to get her to let you not do this." Baekhyun offered.
 
"No thanks. As much as I hate the idea of performing with Luhan again, I don't want to disappoint my favourite teacher. She seemed so excited when he said we'd do it." You sighed.
 
I just have to be strong and get this done and over with. You thought as you stared at the lyrics once more.