Grumpy Haerin

Let Me In
 
Soon, the sun started to set in horizon.
 
You and your friends were now just sitting on the beach and watching the sun set before packing up to leave.
 
“Today was a great day, wasn’t it?” Minyoung smiled as she whispered to you.

“Yeah,” You honestly replied. Except for the fact that I bumped into Luhan, everything was perfect.
 
“Hey, Oppa. Shouldn’t get back now?” You nudged your brother. “We still have to pack for tomorrow.”
 
Baekhyun was about to answer but Xiumin and Chen overheard your conversation and grew curious.
 
“Pack?” Xiumin asked. “Where are you guys going?”
 
“Oh, we’re just going back to our hometown to visit our parents for maybe a week or probably for the rest of the holiday.” You replied.  
 
“Can we come?” Chanyeol asked. “I want to see Aunty again and taste her great cooking.” He smiled at the thought of your mom’s food.
 
Baekhyun looked at you and raised his eyebrows, as if asking you if you were okay with the idea.
 
“Yeah, sure. I’m sure mom and dad wouldn’t mind bringing you guys over again.” You smiled. “But you gotta ask your parents for permission this time, okay?” You narrowed at Chanyeol who sheepishly smiled back at you.
 
Kai and Minyoung happily high-fived each other, excited that they could tag along as well.
 
“Alright! Then it’s settled.” Baekhyun said. “We leave our house tomorrow at 8.”
 
“In the evening?” You hopefully asked, although you already knew the answer.
 
Baekhyun rolled his eyes and flicked your forehead. “In the morning, you pig. You can sleep on the way there.”
 
You groaned but agreed anyways.
 
Xiumin and Chen looked at each other awkwardly. They didn’t know if they were part of the ‘we’ that Baekhyun had mentioned.
 
Everyone else seemed so excited and they wanted to tag along too but they thought it would be rude to ask.
 
Baekhyun noticed that they became silent and smiled knowingly. “You guys are invited too, if you want to come.” He patted Chen’s shoulder with a kind smile.
 
Immediately, Chen’s and Xiumin’s eyes brightened at the invitation and thanked him.
 
After chatting for a little while more, the seven of you packed your stuff and headed home.
 
*
 
The next day, Baekhyun had woken up to the loud knocks on the front door. He opened one eye to look at the clock on his nightstand and sighed in irritation. Why do these people always reach so damn early?  
 
He opened the front door and was greeted by a smirking Kai and a smiley Chanyeol. “Dude, it’s not even 7 in the morning,” Baekhyun complained.
 
“Good morning to you too, Baekhyun.” Kai chuckled.
 
“Just shut up and come in,” He growled and opened the door further and allowed his friends inside.
 
“Where’s Minyoung?” Baekhyun asked as he rubbed his sleepy eyes. “Don’t you guys usually come over an hour earlier with her?”
 
“Nah, not today.” Kai said. “She called me this morning to say that she can’t make it. She said something about her relatives coming over and all that and her mom told her to stay.”   
 
“Alright, well, I’m going to go take a shower.” Baekhyun said. “Can you wake the pig up when it’s 7?”
 
“Do we really have to?” Chanyeol complained.
 
“Yeah, why can’t you do it? It’s your sister.” Kai said.
 
“You guys do it. Or one of you anways.” Baekhyun said. “That’s what you get for ruining my sleep too.”
 
The two boys sighed. “Fine. We don’t really have a choice anyways.”
 
Baekhyun laughed at the two of them. “Good luck, you’re going to need it.”
 
 
*
 
Five minutes after Baekhyun had went into the bathroom, there was a knock on the door. Kai got up, “Must be Minyoung.”
 
He went over and opened the door but it wasn’t Minyoung. It was Xiumin and Chen.
 
“Oh, hey guys!” Kai smiled and allowed them in.
 
“Good morning, Kai.” Chen and Xiumin smiled back and entered the house.
 
Chanyeol came out of the kitchen holding a cup of tea and greeted them as well.
 
Chen and Xiumin felt a little bit awkward being in the Byun’s apartment. Although it wasn’t Xiumin’s first time, it was Chen’s first time.
 
He looked around the place and saw a few pictures of their families and frowned a little. He grew a little jealous at how happy the Byun family looked in all the photos.
 
“Where are Baekhyun and Haerin?” Chen asked as he walked back to the couch where everyone else was sitting.
 
“Baekhyun’s showering,” Kai said. “And Haerin’s still sleeping.”
 
“Speaking of Haerin,” Chanyeol sat up. “We should wake her up now.”
 
Kai scowled. “I really don’t want to.”
 
“I don’t either, okay. Let’s just get it over and done with.” Chanyeol complained as well.
 
“Why are you two so reluctant to wake Haerin up?”  Chen asked, curious about their behaviours.
 
“Because Haerin’s extra grumpy when she’s woken up early.” Chanyeol said. “It’s like waking up a sleeping giant.”
 
“Or pig, in this case.” Kai snickered and Chanyeol chuckled as well.
 
“Okay, let’s just play scissors, paper, stone.” Kai suggested. “Loser wakes her up, got it?”
 
Chanyeol nodded and the two boys played the game.
 
In the end, Kai showed scissors and Chanyeol showed paper, making him lose the game and having to wake you up.
 
Chanyeol sighed.
 
“Go on, buddy. Just get it over and done with.” Kai said and laughed at his friend’s misery.
 
Slowly, Chanyeol opened the door to your room and went in. He walked towards your sleeping figure and sat on the side of your bed.
 
“Wake up, Haerin. It’s time to get up.” Chanyeol gently nudged you. “Wake up.”
 
“Uhmffkljaskcnzxl” You groaned in your sleep and turned away from Chanyeol.
 
Chanyeol sighed. “Come on, you have to get ready so we can leave and then we can see your parents.
 
Slowly, you opened one eye and saw Chanyeol smiling face. You groaned again and threw one of your stuffed toys at him. “Ugh, go away!”
 
Luckily, Chanyeol dodged the throw and your stuffed toy flew out the room.
 
Outside, the other boys heard you shout and chuckled a little. “I never knew Haerin was like this.” Xiumin chuckled.
 
“Outside, she’s really bipolar and all that but in the morning, she’s just really grumpy.” Kai chuckled again. “It’s kind of irritating but also really hilarious.”
 
Irritating and Hilarious? I think it’s kind of cute, actually. Chen thought and smiled.
 
“Oh come on, Haerin!” Chanyeol was starting to get a little irritated. “Baekhyun asked me to wake you up so please wake up.”
You took your pillow and put over your head. “Go away.” Your voice came out muffled. “I want to sleep.”
 
“You can sleep on the ride there.” Chanyeol said as he continued to shake you awake. “Now please wake up.”
 
Just then, Baekhyun came out of the bathroom and heard the shouts coming from your room and chuckled.
 
“Good morning, Baek!” Xiumin called over from the couch.
 
Baekhyun looked up and realized that the other two boys were already here. “Oh hey Xiumin. Hey Chen.” He smiled at them and went back into his room to get changed.
 
Soon, after a lot of shouting and shaking, Chanyeol finally came out of the room with a still half-asleep you walking behind him.
 
“Yay! Congratulations, Chanyeol!” Kai clapped. “You deserve a prize.”
 
“Shut up, Kai.” Chanyeol growled while Kai still laughed at Chanyeol’s misery.
 
“Ugh will you two just shut up?” You said as you came out of your room with your messy hair and pyjamas.
 
You heard chuckling from the other side of the room and noticed that Xiumin and Chen were laughing at the scene in front of them. “Oh, you guys are here too?”
 
“Yeah, good morning Haerin.” Xiumin and Chen said at the same time.
 
She looks pretty even when she just woke up.  Chen smiled.
 
“Yah, what are you doing standing there?” Baekhyun lightly hit your head. “Go and shower. You’re the only one who isn’t ready yet.”
 
“Minyoung isn’t even here yet.” You said.
 
“She isn’t coming.” Kai said.
 
“What! Why?” You were a little disappointed that your best friend wasn’t going to tag along.
 
“Her mom told her to stay at home because she has relatives coming over and all that.”
 
“And I only know about this now…because?”
 
“Because it was last minute. And I don’t think she dared to call you at 6 in the morning fearing you might be shouting at her through the phone.” Kai said with a straight face.
 
You rolled your eyes. “Fine, fair enough.”
 
“Well, what are you waiting for?” Baekhyun nudged you. “Go shower while I prepare breakfast.”
 
“Okay, okay.” You said as you went back into your room and got your clothes and towel.
 
“Do you want cereal or toasts?” Baekhyun walked towards the kitchen as he called after you.
 
“Cereal, please. Thanks!”
 
 
*
 
 
Almost an hour had passed and you were already, miraculously, putting on your shoes. Of course, if it wasn’t for your friends nagging at your to hurry up, you would’ve still be eating your breakfast at that time.
 
Before you left the house, you went back into your room to get your bag and made sure that you had everything in it. You did a quick final check of yourself in your full-length mirror and left the room.
 
The boys were all sitting on the sofa, with their shoes already on, and were just waiting for you.
 
“Okay! I’m ready!” You announced and the boys got up.
 
“Finally!” Kai sighed.
 
“It’s like this every single time.” Chanyeol said. “Every. Single. Time.”
 
“Shut up, you.” You narrowed your eyes at him and pointed a finger.
 
“Alright, alright. Enough bickering.” Baekhyun separated the two of you and pushed you out of the house.
 
From behind, Chen watched the scene in front of him and chuckled lightly. He was really starting to like his new groups of friends and you especially.
 
Before Baekhyun locked the door to the apartment, he turned to you. “Did you forget anything?”
 
“Nope.” You said. “I already checked.”
 
“You always say that, but when we reach there, you’ll start complaining that you forgot something here.” Kai crossed his arms and said.
 
“Why are Oppas extra annoying today, huh?” You pouted.
 
“We’re not extra annoying, you’re just extra grumpy. We’re just being ourselves.” Chaneyol said.
 
“Aish.” You huffed and left to call the elevator.
 
Baekhyun shook his head at the immaturity of his friends and sister and chuckled. He switched the lights off and locked the door.
 
While the six of you walked towards the bus-stop near the apartments, Baekhyun walked beside Chen while the rest of you walked in front.
 
“It’s your first time coming over to Daegu with us to visit our parents.” Baekhyun said. “Are you nervous?”
 
“Not really.” Chen said. “Maybe a little, but I guess I’m more excited than nervous.”
 
“Excited?” Baekhyun raised his eyebrow. “Why are you excited? I mean, I can understand if Yeol and Kai were excited because they’ve seen my parents before. But you? I don’t get it.”
 
“Nah, I’m not exactly excited to meet your parents. I’m not really good with adults.” Chen honestly replied.
 
“So why did you want to tag along?”
 
“Because I like you guys.” Chen shrugged. “I mean, hanging out with you and your friends is a lot of fun. Just look that them,” Chen pointed to the four in front.
 
You and walking alongside the other three boys. They were teasing you and you, still being in your morning-grumpiness state, you kept shouting at them and they found it amusing.
 
“Your sister is adorable.” Chen unknowingly said his thoughts out loud. When he realized that he had actually said it, he panicked a little. , Baekhyun’s going to think I’m after his sister.  
 
Instead of chewing his head off, Baekhyun just nodded with a smile. “She is, isn’t she?”
 
Chen sighed and inaudible sigh of relief.
 
Baekhyun turned to look at Chen and swung and arm over his shoulders. “Don’t worry about not being great with adults. My parents are really nice, so just act like your normal self in front of them.” He smiled. “And just so you know, I like hanging out with you too. And I’m sure Chanyeol and Kai are happy to have a great friend too.”
 
Chen smiled, appreaciative of Baekhyun’s effort to make him feel more comfortable.