In between

Second Destiny

The study room is awfully quiet. Yoona is sitting right across her mother in silence, staring right into the old lady’s eyes, waiting for a word or more from the one who called her to come, after clearly making a statement months ago to not step into the house.

But here she is, sitting face to face with her mother, eye to eye.

The warm air turn colder than usual, and the room seem larger than ever.

There is only a table to separate the two, but never once Yoona feels this far from her mother, too far. Further even than when she made a lot of troubles back then.

Colder than ever, even more than how Yoona kept against her mother’s words, back then no matter how many times she did so, in the end, she will let the older woman wins. She will go with the lady’s word, and with that, by the next day, Yoona will find all the news about her disappear like it never happened.

But this is different.

Because this time, Yoona won’t let her mother win. She can’t, not when her life is on the line.

She doesn’t want to live a life without Sooyoung. Someone who gives so much to remember, to learn, to cherish, to fighting for.. and just enough to let Yoona knows, she wants Sooyoung.. and her forever with her..

And so, that sharp cold look from her mother hasn’t work until this second.

Both of them, stubbornly keeping that stern and hard figures, enough to let each other know that they’re desired to win.. that they’re not going to back down.. that  they’re going to win..

They’re in whatever they called as an argument, battle or whatsoever.

In the case of Yoona and her mother is fair never a way to ended things, they need to know who will ended up admitting her fault.

And the problem right now is, none of them are ready for that.

Mrs.Im highly sure that she is right, that Yoona deserves someone better, and not someone who can ruin their family image, always been so sure.

And Yoona is sure that Sooyoung is the one for her, never been this sure.

 

And so, their so called staring competition seems going colder as time passed by. And none of them wanting to break their gaze, not yet. They’re that determinate.

“..hmm..” Yoona finally cleared after what seem like forever “..why did you call me, mom?” she asked tonelessly.

“I thought you told me not to step into this place before I break up with Sooyoung..” Yoona added “which I didn’t and I will never did..” she said.

“She doesn’t deserve you..” Mrs.Im voiced her thought.

“Nobody can tell me who deserve me or no..” Yoona replied immediately “..and Sooyoung is beyond that what I deserved.. I am lucky that she stays with me despite all the bad things I had done..”

“A lot of people will..”

“Not as sincere as she is.. and not as loving as she is..”

“You don’t know that..”

“I do.. and I feel it.. I know, and nobody can tell me what to do..” Yoona answered “so mom, if there is nothing else you want to talk about, I will leave now..”

Mrs.Im sighed, they both are too stubborn, and she knows it.

“You should stop playing around..” Mrs.Im said.

“And I said, out of all person who knows me, mom.. you should know that, this time, I am more than being serious with Sooyoung..” she said “if there is someone I want to spent forever with, starting a family with, and having a marriage life with..” Yoona added determinately “..it’s Sooyoung only..”

Mrs.Im escapes another sigh. Drowning in silence once again where nobody wants to talk.

“..I will leave now…” Yoona stood up, cannot bear the silence even more. She was about to take a step when Mrs.Im spoke.

“Do you know where you father is?”

Yoona stared at her mother for second as she sits back on her seat before she answered in confuse “..dad called me yesterday, saying that he will spend a week for a business trip..”

It’s just something her mother should know more than her.

“He can always send one of his man..” Mrs.Im said “but he went there himself.. why do you think that be?”

“..hmm?” Yoona’s temple creased from such weird question. She is just one of the songwriter in the company. It’s not really one of her business.

“Mom, you might need to ask dad if you want to know..”

“The company is in trouble..”

“What do you mean, mom?”

“Dad went there because he need to make sure, he can solve this right..”

“What happened?”

“SG company filed a report on the company.. your father went to meet him to have a talk..”

Yoona’s brows raised “and why do you tell me this?”

“Because after your father’s first attempt to talk with Young dae, the one who filed the report, he said ‘I will, in exchange for your daughter..’”

“What?!” Yoona protested right away “he is like—what—fifty?! And--..”

“Not him.. his son.. whom you humiliated in public years ago..”

Yoona eyes widened, a picture of a familiar man crossed her mind.. no, it can’t be..

“It must be that young man’s request..” Mrs.Im said “you humiliated him in public, Yoona.. and made it in the breaking news for weeks..” she added “and his father want to prove you wrong..” Mrs.Im studied the young woman’s stunned expression “..he wants you to marry his son..”

“No way..” Yoona whispered to herself “..i want to talk to dad..”

“He won’t be here until next week..”

“Mom, you can always solve things..”

“Sometimes it took a will to do that..”

“Do me a favor this once..” Yoona pleaded softly.

“You have five days, Yoona..” Mrs.Im said “..the marriage will held in five days..” she added “and another humiliating doesn’t sound good, right?”

-----

 

“Aren’t your jaw hurting?” Taeyeon asked her sister who has that smile on her face just the second she stepped inside Taeyeon’s house, other way, Taeyeon has one on her face too. She is happy too see her little sister happy.

“I am happy.. so, so happy..” Sooyoung said sitting on the floor in the living room, both palm on her cheeks, elbows on the table, eyes staring on the red small box which placed on the table with a really, really big smile.

“I can see that..” Taeyeon chuckled at her adorable sister, sitting across the tall brunette with two glasses of ice tea.

“Do you think she will like this?” the tall woman asked, eyes never leaving the only thing on the table.

“Which one? The ring?” Taeyeon’s brows creased playfully “or the idea of you proposing?”

Sooyoung blushed, letting out a shy giggle as she spoke “..both?” her shy gaze meet Taeyeon’s naughty ones for a brief moment before staring back on the ring which has an eternity symbol, the one similar to the necklace she ever gave the love of her life.

And once again, it got Taeyeon laughed “yah, I will scolded her if she didn’t..”

Sooyoung giggled softly before she asked again with a so innocent shy smile “..do you think she will say yes?”

“Nobody will say no to my sister..” Taeyeon said threateningly, getting the younger woman chuckled.

“I am happy, so, so happy..” Sooyoung repeated over and over again in between her chuckles.

“Look at you..” Taeyeon smiled “she hasn’t even give a yes, and you’re already like a mad woman..” she added “how worse could you get when she said yes?”

Sooyoung laughed “I will call you right away..” she said “you’ll be the first person to hear the good news..” she grinned childishly.

“Yeah, if she says yes..” Taeyeons said teasingly.

Sooyoung frowned, already hated the image of that, doesn’t even like the idea of it crossing her mind “you just said nobody will said no to me..”

Taeyeon giggled “seriously, I was joking.. I told you, I will make her regret if she ever rejected my sister..” she said “besides, the only reason why I approved your relationship is because she is madly in love with you..” Taeyeon added “she won’t say no..”

Their chuckles died down along with their gaze fall back to the ring Sooyoung prepared. But Sooyoung took the box, closed it before she stared at her sister.

“Why?” Taeyeon narrowed her eyes teasingly “already bored on staring at your ring?”

“How about you?” Sooyoung gave a small smile.

“Hmm? What about me?”

“You told me you won’t get married before I do..” Sooyoung said.

“You haven’t married yet..” Taeyeon spoke.

“I’m going to propose..”

“Not yet..” Taeyeon replied, making the young woman frown.

“I am serious, Taeng..”

“I am still waiting..”

“You’re just afraid she will left..” Sooyoung said, getting a sigh from her sister “she won’t leave you Taeng, she loves you.. and you know that..”

“I am not afra--..”

“That’s the reason why you never asked her to move in to your place..” Sooyoung cut “because if she left, you will have nothing.. you’re afraid if she ever left, you won’t be able to go home because every corner of this place will remind you of her..”

“That’s not true..” Taeyeon said defended.

“Because the last time you--..”

“Don’t remind me of that…” Taeyeon cut.

“You deserve happiness..” Sooyoung spoke “Jessica is your woman.. she loves you.. and I am sure about that..”

“..i love her too..” Taeyeon whispered with a weak smile “and it scared me so much..”

“Jessica deserve more..”

“More than me?” Taeyeon’s brow creased, joking in between their serious talk doesn’t seem like a bad idea.

Sooyoung smiled “..nobody is better than you..”

“You should charm Yoona, not me..” Taeyeon added “she is the one you’re going to propose to..”

Sooyoung giggled “..i already do.. every single day..”

Taeyeon giggled “Love seriously makes you crazy..”

“Crazy for good..”

“..so, when will this moment happen?”

“Tonight..” Sooyoung answered right away.

“Fine.. if she ever say yes.. I will ask Jessica to move in with me..” Taeyeon smiled, encouraging her sister “..and I want Jessica here, in my house..” she added playfully “so don’t you dare ruining it..”

“Yes, mom!!” Sooyoung laughed “I definitely will make her mine!!”