Opened up

Second Destiny

It’s been almost an hour since Tiffany is sitting in front of her new client and just as long as she seems to be the only one talking. It’s a counseling, and her client is supposed to do more of the talk, but this one, doing nothing but answering all the question Tiffany dodged, and almost all being answered in the shortest one she could give.

Tiffany is usually good. She is good, or maybe it’s because most of her client, or almost all of them are either teenager or children.

Even she herself wondering why she accept her friend’s offer that time.

Maybe because it’s her..

The one she used to see back then.. the one she was secretly falling for..

Is this fate? Destiny?

That the person is sitting in front of her right now?

That she got the chance to not only staring from afar?

That she can get this close?

It’s funny how destiny works..

In one time, Tiffany can only staring at the tall brunette from afar.. seeing the tall woman smile widely.. and feeling how her heart racing thoughtlessly only by the sight of that sweet smile..

And now, Tiffany sits right in front of her, but she sees nothing.. nothing but sadness..

But what’s more strange.. it’s her heart that reacting the same way..

Of how it racing mindlessly..

So, in the end, Tiffany knows.. it’s not only that smile…

But the person as well..

 

“..i saw you a lot back then..” Tiffany spoke softly.

They are sitting on their seat face to face without a table in between, with a small gap in between. Maybe just a little before their knees touch.

“..I was in the same class with your sister in the first year of college..some of my classes..”

“And I know you’re studying here, in Seoul.. but you will visit your sister like once or twice a month, for few days..” Tiffany said, her eyes falling on the tall brunette’s softened expression.

“You will come to our university.. picking up your sister.. waiting right near the gate..”

“That’s how I first.. saw you..”

“But of course..” Tiffany spoke “you might didn’t even know that I was exist back then..”

“I was so shy back there.. even if I think I still am..” Tiffany let out a soft chuckle “I don’t even dare to greet you.. or—or just say a simple hello..”

“I heard about you a lot..” she said “..but because I was to shy to make a move on you.. I only asked about you from your sister..”

“That’s why.. you might never know who I am..” Tiffany spoke quietly.

“But I know you, Sooyoung..” she said “even if it’s only by your sister’s words.. I do know you..”

“I was not that close with your sister either..” Tiffany said “but she will talk about you once in a while…” she added, giving a small smile “she will proudly telling stories about you..”

“About how you got a scholarship to the best fashion school in Seoul.. or how you even got hired in the big company even before you graduated..” Tiffany spoke “..how you’re so talented in everything you do.. especially about your love for fashion..”

“She talked mostly about you..” Tiffany said, enough to make Sooyoung more calm, with a weak smile on her face.

“She must love you too much..” Tiffany said “that she asked a help from me.. and told me that she will do anything she can to get your smile back..”

“That sweet and loving smile of yours.. that free and warm laugh..” Tiffany said, but Sooyoung doesn’t seem to want to say any word.

 

Tiffany sighed. It’s been a more than a week, but she can’t do much in this case. Her client haven’t talk much and only answering questions. The tall woman doesn’t even talk if there is no question at all.

So there she is, Tiffany has been staring at the tall brunette for about almost 15 minutes in dead silence.. she runs out of question..

“..this is a counseling Sooyoung..” Tiffany spoke “..even if I know that you don’t want to be here.. or doing this at all..” she added “but I won’t know what’s wrong if you didn’t talk at all..”

“It’s been more than a week.. and I thought if we just drop the formality you might feel more relaxed and comfortable to tell me your problem..”

“And because I am in the same age with your sister, I thought it will be easier for you to open up..”

“I want to help you, Sooyoung.. so much more than you thought..” she said “..and I want you to know that I am doing this not only because your sister asked me to..”

“But.. if this keep going on..” Tiffany said “we might need to stop doing this.. because I am doing nothing to help you..”

“So, please.. tell me what you want.. or what you need.. or at least what’s on your mind.. so I can do something..” Tiffany said “and if it will get you more comfortable, I will ask your sister to get another psychiatrist for you..”

“..so, at least.. please say something..”

 

A minute passed in silence.. Tiffany sighed.. she was really about to give up, but a soft whisper come in faint, when Sooyoung spoke “..how do I start?”

A small smile appeared on Tiffany’s face “you can start by telling me about yourself.. or whatever you want to tell me.. what make you happy maybe? Experiences? Or your sister?”

“..Tae?” a small smile crossed Sooyoung’s face as she mumbled her sister’s name “I know her since we’re little kid..”

“Since my mother is her mother’s sister.. I met her a lot..” Sooyoung spoke “..i was just elementary student when an accident took my parents away from me..”

“But.. uncle and aunt Kim are taking care of me like their own daughter.. they love me as much as they love Taeyeon.. they provide me a home.. a family.. when I know they could just leave me in an orphanage..”

“They are being a family.. and uncle and aunt Kim are being my parents.. and Taeyeon.. she is being my sister when I know she doesn’t need to..”

“And for that, I am beyond grateful to have them in my life..”

 

“I thought I can live all by my self..” Sooyoung whispered “but they always shows me why I shouldn’t..” she added “they’re always there for me.. they show me why I don’t have to..”

“They don’t only tell me that I can lean on them.. but they proof it to me that they really are there when I need them..”

“With that.. I thought everything will be okay as long as I have them only in my life.. that I need nobody.. that I need no one but them..”

“..but that when she came..” Sooyoung spoke in a soft whisper. And for sure, Tiffany can see a great pain on that brown pair of eyes which staring nowhere, lost in the dark.

“..i had doubt.. and I was scared..” Sooyoung spoke softly “..but she told me not to..”

“…and so I did.. in the end..” Sooyoung added quietly “…only to get my heart broken when she left..” with that tears falling from her eyes.

There is a big one way mirror in the room. It’s the therapy room, and of course there is a need to let patient’s family know how far the therapy goes, or work for the patient. And so, for family who wants to know about the patient’s medication process, and not to let the patient bothered by being observed, there is a big room just beside the therapy room where family can stay and observe the therapy process.

Just behind the big mirror..

And Tiffany should aware of what the use of the big mirror..

But maybe she just doesn’t aware of what’s behind it right at the moment..

 

“..or maybe it’s not the end..” Tiffany spoke “..there is no thing that can’t be fixed..”

“There is..” Sooyoung said tonelessly “..there is, where there is nothing to fix anymore..”

“Why? because you don’t want to fix it anymore?”

“..sometimes.. when something broke.. you can’t fix thing back to its place without giving more pain.. that you will eventually give up…. And realize to better leave things just like that..”

“…leave them broken?”

“Yes, leave them broken..”

“..and you’re aware that it will hurt not only you.. or her.. but everyone around you?”

Sooyoung went silent over the question.. everyone..

“..then.. what if..” Sooyoung spoke quietly “..what if it hurts more when you try to fix things?”

“..there is price for whatever you do, Sooyoung.. there are always be…”

“….but you need to know which one worth it and… which one not..”

“Is it not worth it to get thing back to where you used to be?”

“It isn’t..” Sooyoung spoke “because not matter how hard I tried, no matter how far we fix this.. nothing will stay the same anymore..”

“Then, don’t you think it’s just worth to give it a try?”

“To let me know that she will eventually leave again?”

“Or maybe not?”

“She will..”

“..what makes you think so?”

“Because she doesn’t want me when I can see..” Sooyoung spoke, her eyes saddened, followed by the falling tears “..and what make you think she will want me now? now that I can’t even say a word without letting her know that I mean them? telling her things about her when I can’t practically see her anymore?”

“Because she makes efforts..” Tiffany spoke “..she is the one who comes to see you everyday and nights, right?” Tiffany added “..when you try to fix a relationship.. it won’t work if only one of you is the one who is trying..” she said “it needs both of you to make it work.. you know that, right?”

“I told her to stop..”

“..do you really want her to?”

But Sooyoung says no word.

“..I am not the same anymore..”

“Nobody is perfect, Sooyoung..” Tiffany said “and she seems not to mind that..”

“I do..”

And to where it’s enough to tell Tiffany.. of what Sooyoung feels or being bothered right at the moment..

 

“There is a different between loving what you see.. and seeing what you love..” Tiffany spoke.

“Because when love talks.. you don’t always need to see what’s going on..” Tiffany said “loves is not blind, Sooyoung.. but it does make people blind..”

“You don’t need to make sure someone know you mean the word you said or not..” Tiffany spoke “because they will always know, that you do mean them..”

“..with that, you don’t always need to see to know what’s going around..”

“Because, love means two persons are enough, not what other people says.. not what you can see.. because deep inside your heart, you know love is enough..”

“..and not able to see, doesn’t mean you have no right to love.. or being loved..”

“Sooyoung, you don’t always need to see to know what’s going on.. you don’t always need to see to being honest with words..”

It got Sooyoung flinched by the sudden gesture when Tiffany’s hand reaches hers, but she let the doctor took her hand and later, she got relax when she feels her hand on the doctor’s face.

“..what do you think?” Tiffany said as her lips curved a smile.

Sooyoung’s thumb grazing gently on Tiffany’s lower lip, and it’s enough to tell the tall woman that her doctor is currently smiling, enough to give one on her face.

“..it’s not that bad, right?” Tiffany voiced.

“..yeah..” Sooyoung gave a weak chuckle “..maybe it’s not that bad..”

“..and I think I won’t mind if you want to use my face if it can give that smile back on your face..”

Sooyoung giggles softly “..really? I might messing with your hairs.. or make up..”

“I don’t mind.. I can always fix that, you know..” Tiffany smiles, her eyes drown deep into that pair of brown eyes.

For Sooyoung, maybe it’s a way from the doctor to cheer her up, to make her open up, to make her trust the doctor enough to share her problem.. and currently it works pretty good.. fine enough that Sooyoung knows that she does.. that she can trust the doctor about her problem..

But sure it’s worse from Tiffany’s side.. because that smile, close to the familiar laughter she used to see back then.. get her back to where her heart mindlessly racing..

 

And just from behind the big mirror.. as one woman are is tears from whatever conversation the two woman have just now..

Sooyoung is obviously warming up to the doctor..

And that smile.. giggles..

How much Yoona hopes that she is the one Sooyoung gives that to..

And right at the moment, she really doesn’t know anymore if whether she should be happy because slowly Sooyoung is going back to her old self.. or drown in pain because it’s not her that going through it with the woman she loves so much..