Chapter 26

Topposites Attract

          Park...Jiwoo? I felt my head scrunch up in painful confusion. My heart decided to stop beating altogether.
     There was a reason why he had looked so familiar! It was him!
Or was it..?
       "Are you okay?" Jiwoo asked me with genuine concern. The way he spoke was exactly the same years before. Those caring words he had said to me with his pretty lips.
       I blinked hard and tried to regain my cool. "Y-Yes...I'm just..I'm okay." I quickly said with an obvious hesitation to my voice.
What should I do?? Run out of this place? Or confront him?!
My hands shook violently and so I sat on them so he wouldn't see.
       "It's the weather isn't it? Are you one of those people that get nervous when it rains?" Jiwoo said so casually. He looked so different from that night. His eyes twinkling with kindness, just like an average charming guy.
       I lamely nodded and looked out the window to sigh heavily. He was right. The weather was beginning to look terrible outside. I never liked the rain because of that night. Because of him.
Without knowing what to do, I just sat there and continued to converse.
Jiwoo smiled a lot and spoke confidently as he introduced himself. Apparently he was on his way to becoming a musician. He played at small clubs and gigs in Hongdae. His singer songwriting skills were becoming pretty well known...or that's what he said.

 

I awkwardly listened as he talked on about his interests and such. For some reason, he seemed really different. I didn't get the same feeling of hostility about him but I did feel on edge. 
The strangest part was....that he didn't go to the same high school as me.
       "You went to a high school in Busan?" I asked in disbelief with my mouth wide open. Busan was a whole different city than Seoul.
"My friends here in Seoul don't believe me because I got rid of my accent pretty well." Jiwoo smiled, letting out a tiny bit of a busan accent at the end of his sentence.
If he didn't go to the same high school that I did....that means he's not even the Park Jiwoo that I knew. Of course! Park Jiwoo was a common name after all! Duh!
      But why did I feel so uneasy? And why did he look so familiar?
      I didn't feel at all like myself the entire time. First of all, I smiled too much than I usually did. Secondly, I tried so hard not to cuss. And thirdly, he continuously complimented me.
      "You look like that one actress!" Jiwoo said excitedly, drinking the last of his caramel macchiato, "Uhhh...Han...Han..." He said frustratedly.
      Han...nibal Lector? That's the closest I would say.
     "Han Hyojoo!" He said with a finger pointed at me.
 What the hell?? Han Hyojoo was a goddess and I was booger.
      Instead of cussing out loud, I smiled and shook my head cutely.


When it began to get really dark, we finally decided to part. We exchanged phone numbers to keep in touch....I had different feelings however.
He made me feel ridiculously nervous...but that's how everyone felt on a first date right?
         The rain was pouring down hard when we stepped outside. Jiwoo offered me his umbrella and we parted in different ways.
Why was it that nobody knew how to drive around here?
       I kind of wished he walked me home...like those romantic 90s movies where the couple walks in the pouring rain....under a single umbrella.
I walked home awkwardly alone all the way until the street that TOP's house was on. The night was already pitch dark and only illuminated by the dim street lamps.
      There was already someone by the front door, getting ready to push in the PIN numbers that opened the gate.
 TOP. Of course he had to be right there. I stopped walking and stood  just about three feet away from him.
He wore a khaki colored trench coat over a classy looking outfit. 
      Looking sharp and overdressed as normal I see.
He saw me standing there and turned his head to look. 
"Hey." I said with a low voice.
He frowned a little as he looked at me from top to bottom and then looked back at the buttons on the intercom as if he didn't recognize me. Seriously? Did he not know who I was?


TOP's dark hair fell over his eyes as he pressed a button. And then, as if he had been electrocuted, he froze. 
His small head slowly turned back to me to do a double take. TOP's sharp eyes widened in pure "I'm not sure what" as he straightened his tall body.
       TOP's mouth was slightly open in awe as he looked at me again from head to toe. It became so silent that I could hear him gulping.
Could he not be so weird about it? God damn it.
     I sighed and went up next to him to push in the passcode myself. The gates opened with a loud clunk.
     "It's raining...let's go in." I quietly said as I tugged on the sleeve of his coat.
 Charlie ran up to us as we walked into the house. I the lights and quickly tried to escape into the kitchen to avoid an awkward conversation.
For some reason...it was embarrassing to look like this in front of TOP. How weird must it be for him to see someone like Moon Raena wearing a skirt?
      TOP quietly followed me into the kitchen with his eyes still fixated on me.
      "How did your...date go?" He asked in a soft deep voice as he carefully adjusted his arm cast and the shoulder straps. It was obvious that he was trying to catch little glimpses.

        I grabbed a freshly cleaned cup from the dishwasher and poured myself a glass of water.
       "It went.." I took a sip, "well..The guy was really nice."
       TOP's eyes roamed away from me as he frowned. Using just one hand he opened the fridge and took out a container of orange juice. He struggled to pour himself a cup.
       "I-I'll do it." I grabbed the orange juice container from his hand and poured a glassful.
       "Thanks" TOP mumbled as he drank from it. He eyed the lower part of my body. After a long sip, he cocked his head to the side. "Are you wearing a skirt?" He looked down at my exposed legs.
       Up here buddy.
 I crossed my legs a little and tried to hide behind the opened dishwasher.
      "It's weird isn't it? I should have just worn jeans." I scoffed.
      TOP shook his head, "No! I-I mean... You look...good." 
So awkward.
I raised my eyebrows and tucked my flowing wavy hair behind my ears to get it out of my face.
      "That's funny, my date said that to me too. He said I...'looked pretty'. And we're going to meet again soon." I grinned tightly.
TOP instantly frowned. "Pretty?" His voice became blunt and colder. "W-What kind of guy dates you because you look pretty?"
       "Huh?" I asked confusedly at his sudden attitude.
        "And why are you wearing such a short skirt to a first date?" 
   
       I frowned. What the hell was suddenly up with him?
       "What's his name?" TOP asked bluntly as he walked out of the kitchen, expecting me to follow him.
I hesitated before speaking. "Park...Jiwoo."
TOP turned back around into the kitchen realizing that I was still there. He looked a little confused as if he had heard the name before.
Well duh, I did tell him about my past before.
     I was confused as well but I didn't want to question it. Jiwoo was the first guy ever that I would actually have a chance at love with and I wasn't going to just let it go.
TOP's eyes sharpened again with his deep piercing glare.
      "His job?" He interrogated me.
       "Why should I tell you?" I snapped.
      TOP froze for a moment, his eyebrows frowning to himself as of he was confused as to why he actually cared. "W-Well...that's because...that's...pink doesn't match you!" He randomly blurted before storming put of the kitchen and to the stairs.
"What the hell..." I whispered as I looked down at my outfit.
    I wasn't even wearing pink.