Chapter 33

Topposites Attract


           "Why wasn't I told of this earlier?" I yelled frustratedly into the phone.
         My fingers gripped the phone hard against my ear, scared that I would drop it any time soon.
     Seizures. She had been suffering through a series of seizures these past few days. It had been worsening her condition and she's having a hard time even breathing on her own.
      I felt a deep furrow between my brows as a wave of worry overwhelmed my heart.
       "Your mom told me not to contact you as much anymore." The doctor spoke in a quiet tone.
I had known this doctor for years. Probably more than I knew anyone one else. Ever since I was a teenager, I had to talk to him as caretaker for my mom. 
Yet he was holding back information from me? Why was this night getting worse?
      Without caring anymore, I put my fingers into my hair, loosening the bun. I sighed out in great frustration, "Why the hell wouldn't she want-"
      "We're going to have to push back the surgery. She's in no condition to be operated on."
"Can I go visit now?" I asked in a hurry.
       "Raena..you know visiting hours have already well passed." He said sternly.


         I gulped hard and put my hand over my forehead. "Is she okay now? What's going on with her now?"
         "She's fine now. Just asleep. We hooked her up to iv drip and a nurse will be checking often for the rest of the night." He assured me.
But I didn't feel steady at all. In fact, just the opposite.
I hung up after asking a few more questions. My fingers trembled around my phone and I felt my heart sink.
Get a hold yourself Raena. Everything is fine. It will be okay.
        I walked back into the glass hallway and took a deep breath.
My heart felt numb and unsteady. I didn't want to go back to the party. I wanted to go home. But I couldn't.
Sighing, I quickly slipped myself inside the women's bathroom.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*TOP's point of view*
       What a night. It's my party but for some reason, I feel like an intruder. How was I supposed know all of this was supposed to happen in one night? Eunsuh noona....and Raena.
Who had called her? Why did she look so worried? And that Jiwoo person...why did I have such a bad feeling about him?
I lightly shook my head to brush any thoughts about Raena off of my mind. Straightening my tie, I walked over to the small crowd near director Lee to immerse myself in their conversation.

         One of renown music score directors was talking with vivacious fluidity about the sound track. I immediately began to zone out.
       "Oh you know..at the 35 minute mark.." Their voices drifted away from my ear as I began to look around.
Amidst the dark lighting, I could vaguely make out a figure near one of the balconies. I squinted my eyes just a little to make out the features.
It's that guy. Raena's boyfriend...with that other girl.
     What kind of guy brings another girl when he's going to meet his girlfriend? Something was definitely not right...and it bugged the crap out of me.
 I don't know why, or what it was but I quickly excused myself out of the dreary conversation to walk to where this Jiwoo guy was.
Even from just a few feet away, I could hear his light voice chattering away with a few others that he seemed to have made acquaintances with.
        "...so ing stupid. I gotta admit though, I honestly had a pretty good laugh with all of this." Jiwoo said as he took a giant gulp from one of the champaign glasses.
This guy isn't anything like what Raena made him out to be.
       I straightened my tie again and walked towards the small crowd.
As soon as I got near, it was as if everyone straightened up to try look cooler than they all made themselves out to be.


It was a celebrity thing. Everywhere I went, to most people that didn't know me, they would always pretend to be someone that they're not. Just because they didn't want to look bad in front of someone famous. But Raena never did that. She never tried to be someone she wasn't...except for in front of this guy.
        "Hello, I didn't introduce myself very well earlier." I said with a calm voice. "I'm Choi Seunghyun." I gave him a steady glare with a small smirk.
The girl next to him swooned and it was obvious she was trying not to show it.
        Jiwoo smiled a cocky grin that looked almost detestable.
"I'm-"
    I immediately cut him off, "You're Moon Raena-shi'a boyfriend, I presume."
     Jiwoo scoffed, "Right."
I looked over to the girl beside him. Keeping a piercing eye on her face, I spoke smoothly. "And who is this lady?"
      "Choi Seunghyun-shi, I think you know something that you shouldn't." Jiwoo said as he pulled the girl closer to him by putting his hand on her waist.
For some reason, I couldn't help but replaying what Raena had told me before. Her story about what happened to her in high school. Those very people seemed to be reliving right before my eyes.
       "TOP-shi. I can call you TOP right?" Jiwoo said in an unpleasant voice.


        He took a step closer towards me in his black leather shoes. A displeasing cocky grin was plastered on his face. I clenched my teeth to stop myself from saying anything out of place.
       "That Raena girl, you know..." Jiwoo teasingly raised his eyebrows and looked to his group of acquaintances. "I don't really care much for her type."
I felt immediate hatred fill my head for this guy.
      ...he doesn't care much? Raena...what the hell did you see in this guy?
I kept my lips sealed to continue listening to the douche bag.
       "But Raena and I have a little past." Jiwoo put a finger up to his lips with a drunken smile. A few of the people around him laughed viciously.
      That cocky grin...I just want to rip it off.
"We went to the same high school together. Sora and I were still a thing back then." He gave a quick glance to the girl next to him.
Sora...?
       This bastard. My fingers curled up into a tight fist.
"And Raena would try to talk to me every day" Jiwoo tried to say as he suppressed a laugh. "..because she had a ing crush on me."
       Everyone around him chuckled. The dark focused lights above seemed annoyingly distracting. The music, this atmosphere, the people. It made me sick.
  
I kept a composed face but my teeth were clenched tightly.
      "I gotta say it was pretty ing hilarious...her retarded look and . Heard she cut her wrists and everything when she was in high school too. Those ing emos scare me." Jiwoo laughed in his words and took a quick sip from a champaign glass.
     "But babe, doesn't she look pretty tonight?" Sora, the girl next to him asked with a cat like grin.
Jiwoo's chuckle came out like a roll. It sounded like a psychopath to my ears. He leaned into give a kiss to Sora, and she gladly accepted it with a curl of her lips.
      "Girls like that don't deserve to be called pretty." His smile ripped a tear in my heart for some reason. "Besides, I only date pretty girls."
Moon Raena...who tried so hard at every date to look as prettiest she could. She seemed so different, happy almost unlike her usual aggressive self whenever she went to meet this guy. But behind her back, he's been calling her ugly...? Raena wasn't ugly. This guy was.
      He had crossed the line in every manner possible.
Jiwoo saw me straight faced and quiet unlike everyone else.
     "Choi Seunghyun-shi, why so serious?" The bastard asked.
I felt my fist tighten. The lights around me flashed and I became instantly aware of my stance. The people around me weren't just ordinary people. Some were famous movie directors, some worked for the press...those people were watching me.
At that moment, I realized the frustration of being a celebrity.
      I couldn't do anything.

I can't do anything... I can't punch Park Jiwoo or get angry at him. Well...that is...not in public at least.
My fingers relaxed and I put on my perfect Choi Seunghyun the TOP movie star smile.
       "Park Jiwoo-shi, I think I need some fresh air. Do you smoke?" I asked as casually as I could.
      Jiwoo spaced himself from Sora and began to close the gap between us. I slowly walked in the direction towards one of the balconies. I smiled to myself as soon as I saw his steps follow mine.
"Who doesn't?" He put his hands in his pockets.
      "Let's take a break from this stuffy party." I said luringly. My lips coiled into a sly grin.
       Oh I'll break something alright.