Chapter 11

Topposites Attract
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[TOP's point of view]
        I sat somewhat comfortably in the front seat of my mother's white Lexus. It had been such along time since I ever got a ride from her but this was one of those rare days. 
She sprained her arm a week ago and she met her past friend of hers at the hospital while being treated....but I can't believe her daughter is that...girl.
         I cocked my head back onto the hot leather seat and took a deep breath, rubbing my temples with my fingers.
         "Why are you all stressed out?" My mother asked me as she the engine. The annoying ringing sound of the car came on to alert that the seatbelt was not on.
       Ignoring her question, I looked at her arm. "Is it really okay to be driving with your arm like...that?" 
       "It's just a sprain, barely doesn't even hurt. Just unless I press something hard on it." She said back confidently.
       "And besides, the trip to California next week will really get me some rest." 
Ah right...my mother and noona were going to California for a month to visit distant relatives...and I can't go because of my schedule.
        "Speaking of which...your house will be empty then now. Even more since Ms Yoon is on break too." Mother said with a direction in her voice, as if she were trying to tell me something.
       "Ms. Yoon?" I asked with prying inquisition.
       Ms. Yoon, the house keeper. She was the one who kept charlie fed when I was gone, cleaned my house and basically did all the housework for me...and now she was on break?
       "I told her to get some time off." Mother put on her sunglasses and looked far into the road.
       "Then...who's going to take care of the house?"
       "I was thinking..." She turned to face me and gave me a look. A look that I had come to fear everytime she gave me it.
       "Thinking...?" I asked for her to finish her sentence.
       She smiled playfully. "You should let Raena stay at your house and help to take care of it." Her hand went up to pat my head.
       As soon as I heard the name, my eyes opened widely and I felt some kind of blood curdling sickness in my stomach.
     "N-No." I guttered out and opened my mouth in disbelief. 
      "Don't you know how close you two were when you were little?" My mother said with a soft heavenly look in her eyes.
      I gave a disgusted look and shook my head. "No and I don't intend to know." The seat belt began to bug my shoulder as it strapped me down.
      "Seunghyun, you have to let her stay with you." She completely stopped the car on the side of the road. Her small figure was dwarfed by the largeness of the car.
      
      I shifted uncomfortably before speaking again. "Some girl...some completely random girl that I don't even remember knowing. Why would I-"
     "Her mom..." My mother swallowed hard and looked down sadly. "She...has a terrible, terrible illness. I couldn't even believe that it was her when I saw her today. She used to be my best friend yet I barely could recognize her. Her eyes and her face just looked so...dead." She looked up at me with pitiful eyes. "She has acute myeloid leukemia and her survival rate is already dangerously low."
     My teeth gritted hard and I felt a strong pang inside my stomach. Why was she putting me up with this? If she was trying to use the pity card, it sure was starting to work.
      "Raena...she has no family besides her mother. Think about it, all these years Raena had to go through so much without even a parent figure. And her mom if she does go through with the surgery, if she can let alone afford it....there's almost no way in heaven that she will survive. Her mom asked me this as her...dying wish."
      I sighed and closed my eyes. "Then what do you want me to do? Take pity on her and let her just live in my house?" I asked calmly. As much as I did feel sorry, I couldn't help but feel little empathy towards this girl named Raena.
       "Yes." She said firmly with no hesitation. "But no pity, just give her some care and love."
My eyes widened at the last word. Love.
 
      "Mother you do realize that I'm planning to propose and get married soon?" I said in all seriousness.
       Mother gave me a funny look that could have almost shouted out "Are you kidding me".
       "Who says you're getting married without my blessings to that girl?" She said.
       That girl. Why did she always call Eunsuh noona that girl. She knew I was serious about her yet she always disliked her. Like that one time when she came for dinner and mother just gave her an awkward glare the entire time...
       "You can't call her 'that girl' when she's going to be your daughter in law." I said smiling in light of this serious conversation.
       "Well maybe I'll start calling her by her name when you take Raena in." She said starting the car up again and getting back on the road.
      I grimaced and then after a long sigh I said, "I'll let Raena live in my house."
      Mother smiled and said no more.
I'll let her stay alright. And I'll make her leave on her own.
------------
 
 
 
 
(Raena's point of view)
      ". . . . . . . . ." I whispered underneath my breath about a thousand times. Stupidly enough, I just realized how much more screwed up my life would be if I confessed.
I was standing right in front of the closed door to yg sajangnim's office. My nose was literally touching the cold metal as I blinked rapidly.
      What would my life be after I confess to him? 
Scenario 1: I could get fired right away, get taken to the police and my life would be over. 
Scenario 2: Yg could pull out a machete under from his desk (that desk is huge, who knows what's under there) and just stab me on the spot and then my life would be over.
Scenario 3: I could run away right now and live life as a fugitive. Hitch hike to North Korea and- aw . What the hell am I thinking?
      God damn it. There was no way out of this situation. I rapidly mumbled to myself as I rubbed my swollen eyes hard. I couldn't even wash up last night because apparently I had "forgotten" to pay the water bill. My shower was immediately cut off during my favorite rap song of my daily bathroom concert.
        And then the cold door swung open, hitting my nose and inevitably my face flat hard. 
I yelped at both the pain and adrenaline rush of panic that sajangnim was there in front of me.
Except...it wasn't yg. Those fancy looking blue louboutins.
       "What are you doing here?" That dreadful low rumble of a voice.
 
        I glared at him and tried to stand confidently but failed as I stumbled to even get up.
        TOP looked aggressively perfect. His fine sharp jawline lining up to his well toned neck. So perfect the way his deep glimmer of eyes stared through my soul and his lips were flawlessly poised. So perfect that I wanted to punch it and screw it up. 
But for some reason he looked "kinder" today. Maybe it was his dark hair put down over his forehead or maybe his casual clothing.
No Raena, do not think kindly of the enemy! 
       And then he did something completely unexpected. TOP reached up to my face but fortunately enough, I moved away from his touch as if he was some sort of alien. 
      He pointed at my nose and raised his dark eyebrows. 
My nose? I touched my finger and felt wetness right underneath my left nostril. The color of carmine roses at my finger tips.
Great. A fricken nose bleed right in front of him.
To make it even more awkward, I wiped my nose with my hand but there was more blood than I thought. My hand was covered in what looked like red paint. I kept smearing away until I stopped when I saw TOP's disgusted face.
       "What are you doing in there anyway?" I finally asked with my bloody hand covering up my bloody nose. Bloody hell.
       "There are somethings you just don't ask." TOP said, his pretty eyes still fixated on my bloody mess.
I sniffed and tried to talk casually again. "I was going to tell him, okay. I was just about to tell him everything-"
       "Don't." He said with his eyes falling down. There was a sigh in him that left as he spoke.
       Don't? What the hell...
       "You need the money right? You can keep your job here and not tell sajangnim about all of this. I won't tell." TOP said solemnly but with softer eyes. He looked down at the floor.
      Again. What the hell.
      He took a dangerous step closer to me and his coffee brown eyes looked directly into mine. "Under one condition."
Aye there's the rub. My eyes widened.
      TOP looked increasingly bigger as I felt myself grow smaller at his closeness. 
His way too perfect lips moved suavely. "Live at my house and work for me as my housekeeper. I'll pay you a fair amount monthly and..." He cleared his throat as he looked away, "...take care of you." 
As soon as he stopped talking, my eyes opened ridiculously widely and I began to yell, "SAJANGNIM! I HAVE TO CONFESS MY SINS!"
TOP grabbed my wrist to pull me back. He shoved a piece of paper in my fingers. "Pack your stuff and be at my house on Monday."
      My brain fizzled with short circuiting wires and I stood there frozen.
TOP turned around to walk away from me. Cooly with each step. Without even turning back he spoke in his maddening deep voice. 
      "Wash your hands before you come."