Chapter 12

Topposites Attract
 
 
        What the hell am I doing here? I had no idea.
I stood staring at the tall black chrome gates in front of me.
It was a beautiful Sunday. The sky was a stunning color of vivid blue and I could hear the birds chirping a melodic tune in c major.
But WHY was I here?
The same house I was at that night when I did the taxi service. I had already been in there once and never imagined that I would be back here ever again.
       I considered all my options when I got home that day after he gave me the paper written with address. However, I couldn't stay inside my house very long because my land lord immediately came knocking in with the contract termination paper. I was homeless after that fiasco. I slept one night in the hospital room and then made my way here.
I swear, this was my last option. I had no choice and no idea why TOP would even say that to me. Was it because we met at the hospital? All of sudden he remembered how close we used to be so he wanted to rekindle our lost friendship?
I scoffed. No way.
      Just for maybe not even a month. Just until I can get a good paycheck and I can live on my own again.
I swallowed my damn pride and pressed the doorbell next to the intercom.
Would he be home?
The intercom buzzed and a red light came on. He must be looking at me through the camera.
      The gate made a small clunking noise and it shifted open, revealing the amazingly beautiful house inside.
I kicked my skateboard and let it roll inside as I lugged my baggage in with great strength. The gates shut behind me.
      The house certainly had its charm when I first went in that night but in the morning, it was even more ravishing.
It was like the epitome of contemporary living. An oasis hidden inside the business of city life. One side of the house was all glass. I could clearly see the living room with all it's modern furnishing and decorations. The other side had polished white stone siding that was connected to a grey stone wall surrounding a classy outside pool. The lawn was already magical as I remembered it to be. The clean cut grass teeming with warmth and life and white vivacious flowers growing beautifully around the edges of the brick walls.
      "I thought I told you Monday. It's Sunday." I heard a voice coming slowly from the house. 
Oh look. It's him in his natural habitat.
TOP had on a long sleeved navy sweater with a white collared shirt underneath along with slim dark pants. 
      "Well I had an issue at my apartment...and I decided to um..take up on your offer." I looked up at him as I eyed him carefully.
"You know...being your house keeper and what not." I said quickly looking away from his vicious eyes.
      "Do you even know how to clean a house?" TOP gave me a thorough examination with his eyes, "You don't even look like you wash yourself."
       "I-" I began to say but then again I remembered what I looked like. Messy hair underneath a black beanie, my face dirty as hell and I don't even remember the last time I shaved. Well it didn't matter.
      "Y-Yeah. I took care of the house for years when my mom moved out of the house and into the hospital." Hesitating at his fierce eyes I added on, "and I make a mean kimchi jjigae*!"
      TOP shook his head in disbelief and began to walk inside.
I mean I'm a pretty good chef if I do say so myself although my recipes only ranged from rice to three other dishes.
Even though I'm at his house and pushing my ego away for my own good, I swear that I'm not going to get close to him. He's still the same jerk that wanted to turn me in. The same guy that I have to work with...and face...EVERY. SINGLE. DAY.
      Life is hell.
I followed him inside and stepped on my skateboard. But as soon as the wheels made a ragged sound, he turned around with glaring eyes.   "You can't ride that inside the house." 
I smiled and purposefully gave a long stride so that I rolled down the black granite floor. "Why? There's so much room to ride in!"
So much room to annoy him.
      "Yah get off. It makes skid marks on the floor!" TOP yelled at me with an annoyed look.
"I don't see any." I said carelessly.
The dog, charlie, as I remembered came trotting towards me with excitement. I got off my skateboard smiled as I scratched behind the golden pup's ears. His fur was so soft and it even looked like he was smiling. Almost as if he was welcoming me. At least I was going to enjoy him during my time here.
        "Charlie get away from her. She's a bad influence." TOP said gesturing at charlie to come to him. But the dog didn't budge.
        "Yah Charlie! Here boy." 
        "What do you mean I'm a bad influence? It's not like I'm gonna teach the dog how to smoke weed." I paused for a moment, "not that I ever had or...anything." I raised my eyebrows and gave charlie a kiss.
TOP's eyebrow twitched. So obvious that I was annoying him already.
        He sighed and began to walk further in.
I followed and realized how enormous and pretty the inside was. We had walked in from the glass door leading to the living room. The walls inside were made of some grey stone that seemed to "chic" up the atmosphere. Sleek looking couches furnished the room and large polished marble shelves around the room held inside little toy like figures as well as big ones. They looked sacred.
Large works of visual art adorned the walls exhibiting striking shapes and designs. Art that was beyond my knowledge.
How is it that the living room is bigger than the entire house that I used to live in?
I followed him in awe up the lavishing glass staircase to the higher floor. Light streamed from a soaring window from a part of the ceiling. The top floor seemed to be divided into almost two wings. We went to the left wing where I would be staying.
          "Bathroom." TOP said pointing rather carelessly at the door near us. "Bedroom." He pointed to a black french door fairly close to the bathroom.
          "Because you're the housekeeper as well, you'll need to keep the house clean. Simple."
Well no Sherlock.
           "Including your room?" I asked.
TOP froze and then shifted his pose differently. Like he always does when he's about to say something "important". 
          He held up a finger.
No way. He's not doing the numbering lesson again is he?
Of course he was.
         "Rule one. You will not go into my side of rooms at all for any reason." TOP pointed down the long hall to a cluster of rooms.
          2nd finger. "Rule two, you will not talk to me or bother me for any unnecessary reason."
          3rd finger. "Rule three, you will not touch me for any reason."
I frowned. "Why would I want to touch you-" 
          TOP pointed at me, "You just violated rule two."
 
          "Harsh." I whispered underneath my breath. 
          "Rule four." TOP said with a more serious look in his eyes. "Since I am a celebrity...You have to be careful whenever you leave or enter this house. Cameras are everywhere."
Oops. Forgot he was a celebrity. Not only just a celebrity but one of the most loved and adored idols of this decade in Korea and even all around the world. I heard that he was even a famous actor by now.
But for some reason, I couldn't picture his popularity or even think that he was anything else. To me, he was just the jerk.. The jerk whose balls I kicked. I chucked quietly to myself.
           Then, in amidst the tense awkward air, a small tone of d major played from downstairs.
         TOP raised his eyebrows in confusion and began to head downstairs.
Someone was at the door. Charlie began to trot around and ran outside.
         He left the house to go to the gate and then came back inside with another voice. A very calm yet feminine voice that seemed to resonate the house with beauty. Bull.
         "I thought you had a filming today." I could hear TOP's voice from downstairs echoing up.
          "That's not till tonight. I thought it would okay if I could come to see you." The lady voice spoke again.
And then awkward silence.
         I swiftly moved to the glass stairs where I could get a glimpse of the visitor. She was standing right by the large geometric shelves that held about thousands of books but I could only se her back. Her fair wavy brown hair fell behind her girly slim figure. She was tall but not as tall as TOP and there was an aura of beauty around her. An aura of someone famous. Was she his...girlfriend or something? 
TOP on the other hand spotted me and gave me the most devilish look. He raised his eyebrows and cocked his head towards upstairs. His lips twitching to open to tell me something. 
Hmm obviously he wants me to go into the bedroom and be quiet...
     Well you see Mr. TOP. I can't just keep quiet when a moment is perfect such as this. 
I felt a mischievous grin jerk up and I got out of view to where they couldn't see me.
 I put my hands around my mouth to create my megaphone and with the most girly voice that my voice squeak out, I called out for him.
      "OPPA! CAN YOU COME BACK IN THE SHOWER? IT'S SO COLD UP HERE ALONE~!"