Chapter 29

Topposites Attract

I could see terror in his eyes. Behind his tall, well built body, there was a child in there. A Bingu child.
       TOP's eyes warily looked at his hand grabbing the drunk man's wrist almost as if he was surprised himself. What the heck was he doing? He had a broken shoulder bone! He was gonna get hit!
And sure enough he did. The drunk guy used his other hand to smack TOP right in the face.
TOP's lean body fell off balance as he staggered backward. His eyes were wide like a wild innocent deer in front of car headlights.
And then the drunk guy went for more. Before TOP could regain his balance, the man grabbed TOP's shirt and lunged for another punch right in the stomach.
This all went by so quickly that I couldn't believe my eyes. TOP in a fight? And he was definitely losing of course. He had only one arm to fight with.
On the ground, I could see TOP's face slightly bleeding.
      Oh hell no. Was that blood?! He was supposed to have his movie premier on Friday night!
 On impulse, I lunged at the man and swiftly punched him hard right by the jaw, pulling him off TOP.
      "You son of a ! Do you know what you just did?!" I shouted with my spit spraying the ground. My adrenaline was pumping non stop into my blood. I felt raged with anger. No I was dead pissed.
Nobody. Nobody but me can beat up this idiot named TOP.

       I gave about three more jabs in his stomach until the guy began to stop and cry a little.
     "I-I'm sorry!!" The drunk guy fell back off balance and held his hands up together to plead for mercy.
I was breathing hardcore as if I had ran twelve laps around town. I wiped some spit off of the side of my mouth and looked around. Everyone was looking at me with wide confused eyes.
      "You should leave soon. It's gonna be hard to explain to the police." The ahjumma quickly said to me with a gentle push.
I looked around again to try and look for Seunghyun. He was on the ground looking at me with those deer eyes.
"C'mon let's go home." I reluctantly said as I grabbed TOP's good arm and helped him up.
       He grabbed the side and let out a soft moan as we walked away from the small BBQ stand.
We quietly walked back to our house underneath the glowing orangish dim of the street lamp lights. TOP walked a little sluggishly as he leaned against my shoulder.
     I tried my best to hold him upright so that he didn't fall too much.
"You gangster...where did you learn to fight so well?" TOP said as he his slightly bloodied lips.
      Hmm good question.
"I used to get beat up a whole lot when I used to be a designated driver. Those drunk guys like to pick fights...I had no choice but to learn to defend myself." I scoffed, remembering my first fight. 
       


TOP chuckled but then winced at a pain from a wrong step that he took.
    "Moon Raena...the bad guy killer. Making music in daylight- kicking in moonlight." TOP joked.
Did he just cuss? Well I guess Mr. Perfect wasn't so perfect after all.
"Do you want another punch?" I playfully to shut him up as I raised a hand.
TOP flinched a little at the sight and immediately shut his mouth.
      "Why did you...follow me anyway?" I asked looking at the ground. Our feet walked in unison steps.
       TOP paused and then looked at me. "'You?' When will you ever call me 'oppa' like you should?" His deep voice seemed more in ident than usual. 
        "The day I get a ing job. Maybe I won't look like such an adolescent boy then." I joked.
TOP chuckled in his weird giggly voice and then spoke a little more seriously, "I just didn't....want you to go out in such a dark alley like this. You looked pretty out of it too." He looked at me and raised his eyebrows, "but just so you know I could have totally kicked that guy's if my shoulder wasn't broken!"
      I sarcastically nodded, "Okay sir."

 

It was already close to midnight when we got home. I found the first aid kit box by the washing machines and then we got down to business.
We sat down in the glass veranda, letting the soft breeze weave through our bodies and also calming our spirits.
Charlie sat down next to me as I grabbed the disinfectant from the box. Pouring just a bit onto a cotton ball, I dabbed it onto the corner of  TOP's mouth.
      He in his breath and backed away a little. "Ah! It stings."
"Well can you stay still?" I said trying to dab away the dried blood by his nose and eyes as he continuously wiggled away.
So close...I was so close to his face as I spread some gel on his open scars.
       "Can you...close your eyes?" I asked him so that I could get his eye area. And so he did.
For that moment, I really didn't know what to do. His usual sharp eyes, now warm and wide were closed so that he couldn't see me so close to him. Long defined lashes beautifully coated the thick rim of his dainty eyes, taking my breath away. His perfectly lobed nose and thin closed lips that curled just a bit at the ends. A face that was sculpted to perfection and it was just inches away.
Using my index finger, I gently dabbed at the scars with the antibiotic gel, blowing away the little specks of dust off of his fine skin.
          "How is it that whenever I hang around with you, I always get injured?" TOP smiled with his eyes still closed.

I stopped dabbing at his scar and paused. "That's because..." My eyes blinked rapidly, trying to come up with something to say.
Come to think of it. It was actually him who got himself into all these troubles. It was him who decided to interfere with my life. He was the one who followed me to the place tonight. 
        "That's your fault." I scoffed as I began to dab again. He was quiet for a little while as I continued. 
TOP raised his head to a higher angle and slightly opened one eye to look at me. "How does it look doctor? Will I live?" He joked with his usual serious tone.
       "You lost your ability to see in black and white. From now on you'll see colors." I played along with my variation of a surgeon voice.
       TOP shut his eyes again, even though I was finished with his scars. "Black and white..." He whispered quietly. His deep voice accentuated by the stillness of the wind, seemed to echo in my ears.
My eyes averted down to his perfectly poised lips. I realized that my lips weren't anywhere but close to them. Just a single breath away.
    Why do I feel so intrigued..? My heart's pounding like crazy yet I'm not moving.
My eyes sleepily hazed down to close right before TOP opened his. We were just staring each other, our lips so close yet so far from touching. The hairs on the back of my neck stood in exhilaration as the warm breeze blew the tiny baby hairs by his temples.
      Funny thing is.... We didn't move.


Not me or TOP. We just kind of sat there, me almost on his lap and maybe too close for comfort. His thin eye lids were three quarters way open and his deep brown eyes...were really something. There were small crystalline hazelnut brown rings that contrasted the outer coffee black circles around the very center of his pupils. 
There was tension in the air as TOP strangely began to get closer...and closer. His head cocked a tiny bit to the side...almost as if he was going in for a kiss.
      A literal short breath away. The entire world around us hushed in delicate silence.
...but then he paused.
         TOP's eyes casted downwards as he took a deep breath, turning his head quickly away from mine. I immediately backed away, safe in my own parameter.
I could feel my soul fainting out of me.
         He awkwardly looked away at the front lawn, his eyes blinking rapidly. The sound of his gulping seemed to echo throughout the entire house.
        "H-How's Eunsuh...unnie?" I blurted out. 
Crap...why the hell did I just ask that?
       TOP touched at the corner of his lips and replied quickly. "She's good."
Awkward silence.
       "How's um...your date..." He struggled to get the name out.
"Jiwoo." I rapidly shot out.
       "Right. Jiwoo."
       I stretched my arms out and sighed. How did I feel about Jiwoo..?


       "I-I...think I really like him. He's a really good person and someone that I would like to get to know more about." I said as seriously as I could. 
It was true. I did like Jiwoo. Just because of the fact that he made me feel appreciated. Maybe not fully but it's as definitely a new experience. If I didn't like him, why would I be dressing up so prettily every time I went out with him?
       TOP looked at me with a serene assuring smile. Something about his look was different, more serious and real. "I hope that things will work out well between you two." He said genuinely. There was no sarcasm or hate in his voice, just well meaning.
       I firmly smiled and nodded. "Thanks."
Even though I said thanks, for some reason, I didn't want him to be so nice about it.
       "So the premier on Friday...I'll give you tickets so you can come." TOP said with a reassuring voice.
       "I don't need your tickets! I can get them from someone else you know." I waved him away.
       He turned to look at me with his glimmering dark eyes. Those eyes that I looked at from such a small distance just a few minutes ago.
       "Why get them from someone else when you can get special VIP access tickets from the main actor himself?"