Chapter 32

Topposites Attract

I delicately picked up a small champaign glass filled with some sort of sparkling wine off the waiter's tray. Though the thin clear glass, I could see lights that shone from the brilliant seoul city night.
    So this was what sky bar of the Lotte Building looked like.
Of course, I didn't expect less. The elegant interior with chic metallic designs perfect for events like this. The premiere parter party for Choi Seunghyun's movie.
Choi Seunghyun.
      Once Eunsuh had told the huge mass of reporters that she was in a relationship with TOP, the premiere had to be stopped because of the enormous reaction from the crowd. People filled inside of the building as soon as the word spread and we quickly had to leave the place. I didn't even get to see him before I got here by a taxi with a few others, Daesung and Youngbae oppa.
The view through the sky bar's amazing wide windows were breathtaking. Millions of bright yet blurry colors of red, yellow and crystal blue studded the dark night like brilliant gems. It seemed to look out to earth on a whole new scale.
       I took a sip from the drink and let the sweet yet fizzy contents dance on my tongue. But...why did it taste so bitter to me?
I could see a mass of people crowded towards the other side of the huge sky bar floor. They were all huddled around the two most prominent people of tonight. The couple that seemed to have been made just now.

But they weren't. From my knowledge, sources via Kang Daesung gossip central, they were already dating since last year. Even before the movie began filming. So it wasn't like this was all new for me. I saw TOP leave the house many times for a secret dinner date with Eunsuh. I knew that they were in love.
But for the public and the mass media, it was probably all a shock. After all Eunsuh was already in a dating rumor with another actor. Who knew she would be in a relationship with one of Korea's top idols?
      But the thing was...why did I feel so uneasy? Why did he look at me that way? As if he wanted to tell me something...to explain everything.
It wasn't like we were in some kind of romantic relationship. Duh. I didn't like him that way! Of course not! He probably didn't either.
But WHY in the world did I have this feeling inside at the pit of my stomach? This...strange feeling that made my heart flutter like crazy and then drop again? The way he looked at me these days were warm but now his eyes seemed to freeze up in relegation.
       I nibbled on the inside of my cheek and tried to put my mind off. Who cares if they were now public with their relationship? I had my own relationship to care about.
Jiwoo.
        "Where is he?" I said under my breath as I pulled my phone out to check the time.
        "Where is who?" A soft voice whispered behind me.

     I turned to find Daesung looking intensely at my face.
     "Oh my god Kang Daesung." I said annoyedly, placing a hand on my chest.
      Daesung frowned, his small eyes tracing up out of sight. "I still can't believe that's you."
      "No ." I mumbled, taking another sip from my fizzy beverage.
"So who are you waiting for?" He asked, looking around.
      "My...boyfriend. I invited him to come tonight." I said with wavering confidence. My voice sounded a bit weak and quiet.
       Daesung frowned again. "You have a boyfriend? So you don't care about-" he made weird gestures with his hands, "all this happening to hyung?"
        What...?
       "Jesus, I thought of all people, at least you would be worried." Daesung said disappointedly.
       What's that supposed to mean? But I'm not supposed to care.
"What are you even talking about?" I nervously laughed as I looked over to where TOP was standing.
His tall handsome self was standing in the middle of the large crowd...with Son Eunsuh's hand lightly on his arm.
       TOP's lips moved ever so slightly as he spoke and his sharp eyes never faltered. But as he shifted his sight, his eyes caught mine.
I felt a weird feeling in my chest but instead I chose to ignore it. Forcing a soft grin on my lips, I raised my hand up to my face and gave a slight wave.

TOP didn't even respond. No flinch, no smile or wave. He just simply blinked away and looked at someone else with his cold piercing eyes.
     What the hell... He just ignored me.
I frowned and cocked my head.
He probably didn't see me..right?
      The after party continued as the lights began to dim with only a few bright lights here and there. 
This really . I have no one to really talk with since Daesung and Youngbae left early and Jiwoo still hasn't shown up yet.
A mediocre club beat played in the background overlapping the soft chatters of conversations.
I moved around awkwardly on my heels, taking little sips of drinks and snacks off the waiter's plates.
Taking quick steady steps, I found my way out of the huge lounge room to get to the tall yet narrow hallway where the bathrooms were. The muted music played through the thin glass wall and cracks of white light seeped from the chic lamps above.
     I took a deep breath and pat the side of my head to keep my hair in place.
The door that led to the lounge room opened, releasing a burst of loud music and gradually muting again as the door closed the guy that had opened it.
I felt my words stop at my lips when I saw that it was TOP standing in front of me.
He obviously looked stressed. Despite his gloriously handsome eyes, there was a glimmer of worry that lined his pupils.

 

TOP looked at me and paused.
       I blinked and stumbled to find the right words to say. 
"Hey." I said with anticipation. Everything that I wanted to say summed up in one word.
I opened my mouth to say something but no sound came out. A half second later, I finally got my voice back.
      "I-I wanted to tell you this earlier...I really liked the movie." Even the air coming out of my mouth was awkward.
 "Thanks." He said solemnly in a cold deep voice. No small curl of his lips. There was no softness in his tone and suddenly I felt a wall between us. A wall that was beginning to break down was now being built back up again. Without hesitation, he turned back around and grabbed the handle of the door.
       "Wait." I blurted out as I lightly grabbed his arm. TOP looked down at my hand that was holding on to his sleeve. His cold eyes seemed to glare with some kind of disgust or hatred. A look that made my insides curl.
      What the hell... How was I supposed to take this? He seemed like a completely different person.
TOP let out a small soft sigh and lightly pulled my hand off.
      He opened his thin perfect lips to say something but as soon as he did, I heard the voice of someone else behind me.
"Oh Raena-ya!"

      TOP and I turned our heads at the same time and created distance between us.
 It was Jiwoo walking down the hallway...with someone. A girl.
Jiwoo was dressed in a simple looking suit with his hair styled back. He looked different than usual, a bit more sharper...and playful. The girl next to him was tall and unusually pretty. Her hair was dyed a dark wine red, matching the sharp red lipstick on her lips and cold slick of her eyeliner. Despite the vagueness of her look, she was familiar. Her cat like smile and those merciless eyes.
      "Woah Moon Raena, you look great today!" Jiwoo smiled widely, showing all his beautiful white pearlies.
I immediately tensed at his voice, the familiarity of it all.
    My shoulders straightened and my voice managed to find it's way out. "Thank you."
      "Sorry I'm late. I had to pick up a friend. I thought you wouldn't mind me bringing someone." Jiwoo said as he placed his hand on the girls waist.
Why was he touching her like that? I felt goosebumps rise all over my body. I winced as the girl smiled and said hello.
      Jiwoo raised his eyebrows in surprise as his eyes traced over to TOP.
      "Holy ! Are you TOP? Bigbang's TOP?" Jiwoo rudely pointed with fascination on his face.

TOP gave a grim nod and softly spoke. "Annyeonghasayo."
       "This is sick! You know you look much more meaner in person." Jiwoo said playfully with an almost cruel smile.
      Uh oh...I know at least one thing about TOP. I know that he hates being called mean looking. I don't know why but he hates that image as much as he looks the part sometimes.
      I felt my body stiffen at their presence. The two of them looked almost like a couple standing together. Just as if they had been a couple since high school. My highschool.
At that moment, my phone's ringtone went off from inside my clutch. I quickly reached in and pulled it out to look at who was calling.
       My mom's doctor.
My breath stopped when I read the doctor's name. Why was he calling now?
     "I have to take this." I quickly said pointing to my phone.
Jiwoo shrugged and opened the glass door to let the girl in first. "Come on Sora, let's go." Jiwoo said to the girl.
      Sora..? 
The girl gave me a quick wink before she walked into the sky bar. Jiwoo followed her in and the door shut behind him. All that was left was me, TOP, and my ringing phone.


And for the first time this night, TOP had a soft look on his face. His eyes were filled with concern. Biting my lips, I coldly looked away as I left him standing there and walked out of the hallway into a quieter place.
My thumb rapidly pressed "answer", silencing the annoying tune. I cautiously held the phone up to my ear.
All I could hear was a soft breath before the doctor spoke.
      "Raena, I have bad news."