Chapter 25

Topposites Attract


"No no no no no Raena...n-not that one." Remi snatched the purple tanktop out of my hands. 
        I frowned as I watched her putting the shirt back on to the rack.
We had already been shopping for hours now but it was all too foreign to me. Remi was doing most of the shopping, I was just kinda looking around awkwardly in the middle of H&M.
       She already had a bunch of outfits picked out for me and I reluctantly agreed to put them on. White and blue checkered cardigans, a bright yellow lacy blouse, floral skirts and light blue skinny jeans. I had never ever worn any other color than Dark blue and black. What the hell was she thinking that I would wear white and sky blue together?
       "Why cute though? Why not chic or preppy?" Remi asked as she replaced one of the shirts from her hands.
I pouted and shrugged. "No idea. It just said that this year's trend is being innocent and cute. Like IU or whatever that one actress is."
      "Wouldn't it be better to just go as yourself? Moon Raena the dark tomboyish girl." Remi asked as she shook her head while she placed a pastel skater dress over my body.
       No way. If I went as just as I dressed everyday, the guy probably wouldn't even think I was a girl. I had to change to be liked. Nobody ever liked me as myself.
"No!" I suddenly shouted out and then reduced my voice, "N-No...I mean, I think it would be good to change myself once in a while."


"Well then... I think we're done here." Remi said. She paused for a moment to check out my hair.
      With curious eyes, she asked me, "Did you dye the tips of your hair?"
      I grabbed my ugly braided hair, "Oh this? I just haven't died my hair in a really long time."
My roots have grown out so much that it looked as if I had only gotten the tips of my hair dyed. That's how much I didn't care about my appearance these days.
      Remi sighed and raised her eyebrows as kindly as she could.
"C'mon, let's go do something about that".
~~~~~~
    I looked in the mirror at my transformation. My mouth couldn't shut itself at the sight. It was half disgust as well as fascination.
Wow those hairstylists really did a good job with my hair. My messy rat tail was completely changed into some red carpet quality locks. They were dyed to a dark chocolate brown but because of the high quality treatment, my hair was deliciously soft and long, all the way down to my chest. It was slightly waved in romantic curls but with cute sides wept bangs. 
And this thing called eyeliner...boy did it do wonders.
The makeup artist had apparently done some plastic surgery with my face because my eyes seemed to pop out. A thin yet defined dark line was drawn over my eyes along with mascara that elongated my lashes.

 

     Now the clothes were just plain weird to my eyes. A cream colored lacy romper and a pastel mint cardigan...and these friggen tights.
I flinched as I put on the matted mint flats that Remi had bought for me.
     "Who the hell are you..?" I asked myself in the mirror as I frowned.
Oh wait I forgot, Remi told me not to frown. "Smile!" She said.
I stood up straight and tried to smile in the mirror. My awkward peach colored lips formed a weird looking curve. Ugh.
This is so not me.
       I looked at the clock. Crap. It's already 6:50. I was supposed to meet at a cafe by 7!
I quickly grabbed my new purse and began to run down the glass stairs. The house was empty because TOP had to go shoot a show program or something. That wasn't important though. He wasn't important.
      "Wish me luck Charlie!" I blew a kiss at Charlie who was excitedly chewing on a bone in the front lawn. He gave a loud confirming bark as I locked the gates and quickly stepped out of the house.
      I heard something far away....was it a camera shutter?
I brushed the thought away and began to awkwardly run so that I wouldn't miss the date.
~~~~~~~~
My heart pounded as quickly as my leg bounced, making rapid tapping noises with my feet. I gulped down the espresso and looked around a little too frantically. 


I checked the time on my phone 7:15. Crap he's late. What if he was one of those rude douche bags that left a girl hanging? But most importantly, what did I look like right now?
I'm pretty sure that my sweat had washed off my make up by now.
I looked at my reflection on my phone screen and and then quickly put it away. Did I look normal? Attractive?
I collapsed on the table in my arms and took a deep breath.
       "Why the hell did you even say yes Raena? What if he doesn't even show up?" I mumbled to myself.
       From the small crevice between my arm and the table, I could see a pair of feet next to me. My heart began to pound out of control.
     I immediately looked up to find someone standing there right in front of me.
     "Is this seat taken?" He asked in a sweet creamy voice.
The guy was tall and lean, like some sort of fitting model. His wavy hair was a light brown color, styled handsomely out of his eyes. His face was uniquely attractive...all of his features very defined and also familiar. His slim and sophisticated smiling eyes...that straight nose...and his curling lips. He was dressed very homely, in casual jeans and a blue plaid shirt, but all the well befitting to his next door neighbor's teenage son look.
      "Aniyo" I said formally in a weird guttural voice. I quickly cleared my throat and felt my face get burning hot.
The guy smiled his familiar smile again. The curls of his taut lips...why was it so...strange to me?

 

    "I didn't expect someone so pretty to come." He said kindly as he sat down on the chair on the opposite side of me.
Smile Raena! C'mon you can do it!
      I smiled as "prettily" as I could. Just showing 1/2 of my upper teeth and squinting my eyes just a little. "Thank you."
      "What's your name?" His eyes twinkled under the yellow cafe light.
      I opened my eyes widely and tried to speak as nicely as I could. "Raena...Moon Raena."
      The guy nodded, his bright smile comforting me in a way that made me feel a but more awkward. My hands began to sweat.
      He said up straight in his booth chair and winked. A wink that seemed painfully lost in my memory.
     "I'm Jiwoo. Park Jiwoo." 
I felt my heart drop at his name.