I

Stay Close, Don't Go

KOREA, SEOUL

Knock knock.

“Miss Bae? Are you ready to go?”  Suzy heard Fei ask outside her bedroom door.

Yes. I’ll be out in a minute.” Suzy replied.

Suzy woke up early because she has an appointment with the principal of Empire High. Empire High is a private school owned by her parents and the Kim’s. Her parents and the Kim’s are business partners. The Kim’s own the restaurants that are located in the hotels and shopping malls that her family owns. The school had been built after she had left Korea and the students are all from well-known families.

Suzy didn’t really want to go to this school but like always she didn’t have a choice. It was an order from her parents that she attends the school.

Keep an appearance and make us proud Bae Suzy. Is what they said after not seeing Suzy for three years.

 

As the car moves toward the gate of Empire High, she sees a sea of students getting out of their cars. Talking on their cellphones, sizing up each other and bragging about their family’s status.

Ah, she thought. Once again I’ll be surrounded by people who only have value on their heads.

 

As the driver opened the door, all the other students stopped what they were doing and looked at the girl who exited the unfamiliar car.

“Miss Bae! Welcome!” Principal Park cried.

Suzy looked at the woman standing in front of her. It was the first time she met Principal Park and at first glance she already knows that this woman will be a great help towards her goal of graduating from this school quietly.

Suzy gave the older lady a small smile.

Come. Come. Let us go to my office.” Principal Park said and ushered her towards the office.

As she followed the older lady, Suzy noticed that the students who passed them are all looking at her. She put on her poker face, raised her chin up and ignored them like how her mother taught her. Deep inside she knows that it’s disrespectful but that is the way to survive and not get stepped on in this kind of society where money is always involved.

Welcome back to Korea, Miss Bae. How was your trip?” The old lady cheery asked.

It was alright. Thank you for asking.” Suzy replied.

That’s good. Alright, I will hold an assembly this afternoon to so I can introduce you to the students of the school. Do you want that?” She asked.

No need, Principal Park. I don’t want them to think that you are treating me differently just because I am the daughter of one of the owners.” Suzy replied with finality.

Taken aback, Miss Park quietly uttered. “Oh is that so then alright. I will just you to your first class then.

 

Principal Park walked her towards her class while talking about the great work her parents had done to the school and Suzy just nodded when she needed to. She wasn’t really paying attention because she was busy looking at the surroundings.

The school is pretty impressive and modern. The girls, like her are wearing gray skirts, white collared long sleeves; with cross over ties while the boys are wearing gray pants, white collared long sleeves with a tie. The students also wear a navy blue blazer while others a navy blue cardigan with a brooch that represent their family’s symbol. Suzy was wearing a crown brooch that can be seen in all the hotels and malls the Bae’s own.

Suzy's brooch. :)

 

 

Class, I would like you to meet the new addition to our class. Please introduce yourself.” Teacher Jia, our teacher, said as she ushered me towards the front of the class.

Suzy walked towards the front. She gave a small bow and looked at her classmates. The girls are sizing her up while the guys are looking at her appreciatively. She gave a small smile and started speaking.

Hello. My name is Bae Suzy. “Suzy looked back at the girls and they cower, recognition written on their faces.

 

Morning classes went by fast. The girls from her classes tried to befriend Suzy but she shut them out like the guys who had the courage to approach her. As the other students headed out towards the cafeteria, Suzy went to the auditorium. Suzy earlier on asked the Principal to give her access to the auditorium and the Principal granted her request.

Suzy got up on the stage and approached the grand piano. Not even bothering to look around, Suzy started playing Don’t Forget Me.

At the other side of the building at the Principal’s office. Principal Park put down her pen and realized that she forgot to tell Ms. Bae that that guy hangs out at the auditorium a lot

 

Who do you think is the guy in the auditorium with Suzy?