Side Chapter: Chenmin

Love and War on the Court
Please log in to read the full chapter

Xiumin hesitated for a moment before entering the square. Do I really want to go one this date? Xiumin took a deep breath and peered from behind the lamppost. If he’s there, I’ll go. If he’s not, I’ll just leave. Thoughts that were ridiculous because Xiumin was thirty minutes early.

Xiumin’s eyes widened in surprise when he saw a familiar figure standing by the water fountain in the center of the square. The person had their back to Xiumin, but Xiumin was certain that it was Chen. Chen rocked back and forth on his feet, while jumping up and down to keep warm.

Xiumin peeked out from behind the pole for several more minutes before stepping out and walking towards Chen. At that moment, Chen turned around and grinned at Xiumin.

Xiumin blushed as he stepped closer to Chen, “Hi.”

“Hi,” Chen grinned. “Err, for you,” Chen passed a small boxed present to Xiumin. “I decided to give you another present.”

Xiumin passed over a rectangular box for Chen, “Uh, me, too.”

“Guess we’re both early, huh?” Chen smiled.

“Yeah,” Xiumin mumbled into his scarf.

“Should we walk around before the movie starts, then?” Chen asked.

“Sure,” Xiumin nodded.

******************************

While they were walking, a large group of children singing Christmas carols ran towards Chen and Xiumin, making Xiumin lose his balance. Chen quickly held onto Xiumin’s hand, “I got you.”

Xiumin blushed.

“Hey, don’t run in the snow, kids!” Chen exclaimed. “It’s not only dangerous to other people, but to yourselves as well! Got it!”

“Yes!” they chimed as they bowed at Chen and Xiumin. “We’re sincerely sorry!”

“Why is it just you kids?” Chen asked. “Where’s the adult in charge?”

“She’s allllll the way back there,” a girl giggled as she pointed into the distance.

“Wait up for her and make sure to stay together as a group,” Chen warned. “Or something bad might happen.”

“Like what?” a boy with wide eyes gasped.

“What if you…” Chen leaned down and whispered, “get lost?”

The children gasped.

“And you’ll never see your parents again,” Chen nodded solemnly.

“We don’t want that to happen!” the children gasped.

“And running off without your chaperone is bad. Very bad.”

The children nodded their heads.

“So you’ll be naughty kids.”

They blinked at Chen.

“And naughty kids don’t get presents from Santa,” Chen continued.

“I already got my presents!” a boy exclaimed.

“Ah, but that was this year's presents,” Chen shrugged. “Today is the twenty seventh, so of course Santa is keeping track of you starting from the end of Christmas already.”

“No!” the children gasped. “We don’t want to be lost or not have presents!”

“Then stay together and wait for you chaperone, okay?” Chen asked firmly.

Everyone nodded their heads in synchronization.

“Good,” Chen said as he ruffled each child’s head. “Now run along.”

“I thought you said not to run,” a girl innocently said.

Xiumin chuckled, “It means to go on your way.”

“Oh,” she smiled. “Okay!”

The children walked off together towards their chaperone, while the

Please log in to read the full chapter