Chapter 8

Her Double Life (Lee Taemin Love Story)

 A little bit later, the vehicle came to a halt and was shut off. Jonghyun, Key, and Onew all jumped out of the van and whispered something quickly. Taemin sat in the back seat of the van with Minji asleep on his shoulder. The Maknae did not know if he should wake the younger woman or not, considering they had reached their destination. His question was answered when Key motioned for him to pick her up carefully and carry her out, while being as quiet as possible. Cautiously, Taemin undid both his and her seat belts and picked her up in his arms. Minji was light, much lighter than he had expected. He climbed out of the van and nearly ran into a human wall that was Key, Jonghyun, and Onew, with their backs turned to him.

“We're going to make it a surprise that we brought Minji, so we need to hide her. You need to walk behind us and make sure you don't lift her high enough for them to see her, Taemin.” Key explained quickly and quietly.

They all put on their microphones, and Key put on Minji's. The four moved forward, easily keeping the same pace. Minji's head was resting against Taemin's chest, and he had one arm under her knees and the other behind her back, and he held her delicately. There was a blush on Taemin's cheeks. Minji looked so peaceful while she slept. And the red and black of her outfit worked with her complexion.

Taemin wore black skinny jeans, a red v-neck t-shirt, a baggy black sweater, a black beanie, and black high-top sneakers. Key had made it so that the two of them, being Minji and him, had matching outfits.

People, six men, and a group of cameramen came into view. One of the people in the group of six pointed at them and spoke quickly. Smiling, Taemin looked between his three Hyungs and took a deep breath. The four men stopped, the three older ones still creating a wall to hide Minji, in front of the group of six. Nobody said anything for a few seconds, instead staring.

“I thought we said to bring all of your members.” the tallest, with dark brown hair and eyes, spoke. His name was Jung Jin Woon, the Maknae of 2AM.

“What of it?” Jonghyun shot back.

“There are only four of you. We outnumber you. Where's Minho?” Jin Woon pestered.

Onew shrugged. “He had something he had to do, so he's going to be a little bit late. So we brought someone else to take his place until he gets here.”

An older man, the MC of the TV show they were on, with messy light brown hair and brown eyes, gave a curious look. “Oh, and where is this 'someone else' that you brought?” His name was Yoo Yoon.

A man with a shaved head and brown eyes, whose height was short, nodded. “Yeah. Can they handle the awesome power of MakBanShi?” He was So June Seop, or Shorry J of Mighty Mouth.

Key grinned. “I think so. I would like you to meet Yoo Minji, a good friend of ours.” The three of them moved out of the way to reveal Minji, who was still sleeping in Taemin's arms. “She will be filling in for Minho until he gets here.”

“She's going to be facing us? Are you sure she can do such a thing?” a man of average height with brown hair and brown eyes asked. He was the Maknae of U-Kiss, Shin DongHo.

“Is she single?” a man of average height, with chin dark brown hair that was swept to the right side of his face and brown eyes, questioned. His name was Song SeungHyun from F.T. Island.

Minji's icy blue eyes slowly fluttered open and she let out a quiet whine, hiding her face in Taemin's chest. Taemin blushed. The sound of five young men that she did not know taking quick intakes of breath alerted Minji of other people, and she turned a fierce gaze upon the six new people. Carefully, Taemin placed Minji on her feet and she stretched. Then Minji's piercing gaze moved to her four friends, who smiled innocently.

“This is what was so important that you woke me up at 7 in the morning? Idol Maknae Rebellion?” Minji growled. “If you ever wake me up for something like this again, I will hurt someone. And I cannot guarantee who that person will be. Got it, Oppas?”

“But, Minji-ya, they challenged us over Taemin. If we lose, Taemin joins them. And Minho was going to be late, so we had to find somebody.” Key pouted.

A man of average height with short spiked blond hair and brown eyes frowned. He was Bang Cheol Yong, better known as Mir of MBLAQ. “I don't want her to get hurt.”

She laughed. “What was that? You're worried? It's sweet that you care, but you shouldn't be worried about me. I grew up with a house full of boys that loved to play rough. I'll be perfectly fine.”

Yoon smiled. “Well you're very enthusiastic, Minji. How old are you?”

“I'm seventeen. Please take me kindly.” Minji answered with a bow.

“What school do you go to?” DongHo asked.

Minji sighed. “I graduated school when I was thirteen, then went to a private school of performing arts in America for three years. I got back a little over a month ago.” She yawned into her hand and leaned against Taemin.

Yoon nodded. “Okay, we all agree that it's chilly out here, right? So, let's battle it out in the studio, where there will be good lighting. All agree?”

Laughing, everyone agreed and Yoon turned to head toward the studio. Taemin picked Minji up again, making her squeak in surprise, and followed after the rest of the group. Minji's cheeks reddened and she pouted. Key, who was walking beside Taemin, snickered at the two of them before picking up his pace to speak to Jonghyun and Onew quietly.

“I wanna walk, Taemin Oppa.” Minji whined to Taemin.

“And what happens if I don't want to let you down, Minji-ya?” Taemin asked jokingly.

“B-but, Oppa... you'll hurt yourself. I don't want you to hurt yourself carrying me.” Minji stated, using her aegyo. Her blue eyes filled with tears and she pouted cutely at Taemin.

He looked down at her and cringed at her aegyo, trying to resist. After a few seconds of trying, Taemin gave up and put Minji on her feet, which made her smile brightly. They were coming up on the studio, and Minji stopped to let Taemin go ahead of her, suddenly feeling nervous and fidgety. One of the cameramen stopped with her and pointed the camera at her, though she did not notice it while dealing with her own problem. Taking a deep breath, Minji took a few steps forward and did a cartwheel that led into two handsprings, which she did easily, and Minji smiled to herself, calming down a little bit. Then she noticed the cameraman taping her.

Minji blushed. “Ah, have you been there the whole time?” The man nodded. “You recorded me? Shouldn't you be in the studio filming?”

Taemin stuck his head out the door. “Minji-ya, are you coming?”

She jumped a little, then turned to Taemin and nodded. “Yes, Taemin Oppa, I'm coming right now.”

Taemin waited for her to walk closer, then he grabbed her hand comfortingly, smiling, and led her inside. The cameraman followed. Everyone looked up when they entered and took off their jackets. SeungHyun, DongHo, and Mir gave Minji a charming smile, to which she acknowledged with a bright smile of her own and a bow. Key ran up and hugged her, and Jonghyun joined him. Onew patted her back softly. Her face was gradually darkening with a blush from all of the attention.

Yoon cleared his throat. “Before we start, we need to find a few things out. What are some things that you enjoy doing, Minji?”

“Dancing, climbing, acting, gymnastics, and sports.” Minji replied, trying to get away from her captors.

With that, everyone was ushered to sit down on swivel chairs that had been put out for them so the recording could continue. Biting her lower lip, Minji sat on her swivel chair and spun around once. She had been told by Key to sit in the middle of the four of them, so they could 'protect her from anyone trying to make a move on her,' as Key had explained. On her one side was Jonghyun and Onew, and on her other side was Key and Taemin, Taemin and Onew being right beside her and Jonghyun sitting beside Yoon. And just like that, the show continued.

“Now that we're all excited to get started with our battle, is there anything we need to go over?” Yoon asked. “We all know the rules and are ready?”

Jin Woon pulled a piece of paper from his shirt pocket and held it up. “This is a contract stating that if MakBanShi wins, Taemin becomes one of us. Just sign it and we'll be on our way.”

Onew shook his head, smiling. “We'll sign it if you win. Until then, hold onto it.”

“Okay, then let's start with Minji. She says she likes dancing, like many of our members.” Yoon announced, smiling at the camera, then turning to Minji. “So, what music do you dance to? Is there a specific musical group or anything?”

Minji shook her head with a nervous smile. “No. I know most dances, so I have no preferred musical group. You can put on almost any song and I will know the dance.”

Everyone gave her a look of surprise. Jin Woon opened his mouth to speak. “And how much time do you spend trying to figure out and memorize all of these dances? That would take forever.”

Her icy eyes glinted mischievously, and her kind smile turned into a smirk. “I tell people when, and only when they can dance against me. I can count on my hands who all knows, besides my family and teachers.”

“She hasn't even told us, yet.” Key stated, pointing to her. He laughed. “We danced against her and her friend two and a half weeks ago. I think we deserve to know.”

Yoon laughed at Key's statement, then he smiled at Minji. “If MakBanShi challenges you, you will tell us? Even if we change people for each song?”

Minji placed her index fingers to her cheeks, smiling innocently. “Of course.”

Getting to her feet, Minji took off her sweater and beanie, placing them on her chair. The bruise on her back was revealed, and whispers went around. Yoon cued the music to start, and Don't Be Rude by T-MAX started playing from the chorus. Minji was in perfect sync with the music. Run by MBLAQ came on, playing from the first verse, and Mir shot to his feet, both him and Minji doing the same moves. Neverland by U-Kiss started to play from the second verse, and Mir and DongHo switched. Still, Minji kept in sync with the music, as well as DongHo. Lucifer by SHINee started at the third chorus. As DongHo sat down, Key pushed Taemin out to dance with Minji, and the two quickly matched step. I Am The Best by 2NE1 played from the bridge, and Minji continued to dance while Taemin sat down. Key and Mir both jumped to their feet when Marshmallow by IU started playing at the chorus. Though Mir had some trouble, they were in relative sync with their movements. Mr. Taxi by Girls Generation came on at the chorus, and Mir sat down, but Key and Minji stayed to dance. Everyone sat in silence, watching. Once the chorus ended, Key and Minji took their seats. She put her sweater and beanie back on.

“So, how do you know so many dances and not mess up?” Yoon asked.

“I woke up from a coma when I was five and ever since, I haven't been able to forget anything.” Minji explained, frowning. She nodded slowly, then smiled.

“That's really... weird.” SeungHyun commented.