Chapter 20

Her Double Life (Lee Taemin Love Story)

A week had passed, and Minji had not opened her eyes once. The doctors had said that severe head trauma had put her in a coma. The media had gone all out with the story of Minji getting attacked by some angered fans and landing in the hospital, and it had reached America. Many people had commented on the incident, wondering why she had been attacked, wanting justice, hoping for her to be healthy soon. Many things had happened in the course of a week.

SHINee was working on a song in one of the recording studios in the SM building. At the moment, Key was in the room singing his part, while the other four sat on the couches watching in boredom. They had their phones out. Minho, Taemin, and Onew were playing games on them, while Jonghyun texted. They were all quietly waiting. Everyone, including the staff in the room, jumped when Taemin's phone started to ring. Bowing in apology, Taemin stood and left the room before answering.

Hello?” Taemin spoke into the phone.

Hello, I was told to phone this number and tell you that Yoo Minji is waking up from her coma. If you would like to come and see her, now would be a good time. She'll need people that she knows.” a woman's voice on the other line stated.

I'll be right there.” Taemin replied immediately, then hung up. He poked his head into the room and spoke to his three bored band mates. “Please cover for me, Hyungs.”

Nodding without paying attention, the three waved him off. Taemin took off at a run to the elevator, wanting to get to the hospital as soon as possible to see Minji. As soon as the elevator doors opened, he ran in without looking at who was in it already. Leeteuk, Yesung, and Sungmin gave a startled look at the younger man. Leeteuk slowly poked Taemin, which made him jump with surprise.

Um, what are you doing, Taemin? I thought you guys were recording.” Leeteuk spoke slowly.

Taemin looked like he was frantic as he rocked from one foot to the other. “Yeah, we were. But the hospital phoned me and said that Minji was waking up. I need to go see her, because she'll be scared if she wakes up alone.”

Sungmin smiled. “She's awake? Hyungs, can we go see her, too?” He gave Leeteuk and Yesung a hopeful look that was full of aegyo.

Yesung frowned. “Eunhyuk, Donghae, and Kyuhyun were going to meet us downstairs to go out to eat. Shouldn't we at least wait to tell them? Or are we all going to visit her?” He paused. “Will her room even fit all of us?”

Biting his lower lip, Taemin phoned back the hospital, and someone answered on the second ring. “Hello, I'm phoning about Yoo Minji. How big is her room?” He thought for a second, then hummed. “There are probably seven people that want to visit her right now.”

Oh, there's plenty of room for visitors. There are at least two others that were coming to visit. Will we be expecting you shortly?” a woman replied.

Yes.” Taemin nodded.

We will make preparations. Thank you for calling.” she said kindly before hanging up.

There's enough room for all of us, if they wanted to come, too.” Taemin stated, putting his phone away.

Leeteuk grinned. “Let's go visit Minji-ya! She'll probably be so bored in the hospital all by herself.” Taemin shook his head quickly, and he looked confused. “Why wouldn't she be bored in there? Is there someone else there with her?”

The young man scrunched up his nose. “She's terrified of anything to do with a hospital. This is the second coma she's been in. She's also been put in the hospital when she stopped taking care of herself, then again when she got into a car crash. She gets violent when she's scared.”

What's the worst that could happen?” Sungmin shrugged it off.

Later, after grabbing Kyuhyun, Eunhyuk, and Donghae from downstairs, the group made it to the hospital. Standing in the waiting room for them was Cheondung and Sandara, who waved them over. A nurse led the large group down into the basement, where there were many locked rooms, looking much like a prison instead of a hospital. She finally opened a door and let them inside. An older doctor greeted them. One of the walls of the room had a window that showed one of the locked rooms. In the locked room, strapped to a hospital bed with wires attached to her, Minji struggled to get free. Her screams carried.

What's wrong with her?” Eunhyuk gasped, eyes staring at Minji.

Minji-ssi wants out of here, but we can't release her yet. She has to stay for a little longer so we know that she's better.” the doctor answered, writing on a clipboard.

They could see her muscles flexing as she tried to sit up, fighting the restraints around her wrists and ankles and along her torso and waist. The gauze that was wrapped around some of her wounds had started to get stained red. There were tears trailing down her pale cheeks. Everyone watched in silence, unable to speak. It wasn't until she fell back against the bed and her head rolled to the side that Donghae spoke.

Is she going to be okay?” Donghae asked.

Sandara let out a breath. “She looks so desperate to get out. Can't you do anything to make her more comfortable?”

The doctor pointed to a lanky male nurse that stood in the corner. “Remove the tubes and wires for now. We'll see if that makes a difference.”

The male nurse nodded and walked into the room with Minji. He was quiet as he strode up to her. Her eyes were closed, and she looked like she had passed out. Carefully, he started removing the tubes, wires, and needles from her small body. It wasn't until he removed the last piece of equipment that her now free hand shot up and grabbed his hair painfully. The shock showed clearly on his face. She headbutted him in the nose, a loud crack sounding, then she let him drop to the ground. Easily, she was able to slip out from her bonds, which she had been able to loosen, and jumped onto the ground near him.

Is he going to be okay? She's not going to hurt him, right?” Leeteuk asked worriedly.

She's going to hurt herself if she moves too much. Someone should go in and help her.” Yesung pointed out.

Minji glared evilly down at the lanky male. “You're going to let me out, or you're going to have to be dragged out of here. I'm not letting you leave me here, alone. Are we clear?”

He looked up, fear in his dark brown eyes. “You wouldn't do anything.”

Watch me!” Minji snapped, kicking him in the side. She grabbed him by the front of his shirt and made him stand up. “Now are you going to let me out? Or am I going to have to convince you some more?”

She's gonna beat him to a pulp!” Sungmin gasped.

Aren't you going to do something?” Cheondung asked the doctor.

Of course I am. Just let them get closer to the door, because we don't need anyone else getting hurt.” the doctor nodded, grabbing a needle from nearby.

They watched as Minji punch him a few times, then she kicked him again, and he fell within a few feet of the door. The doctor immediately walked into the room and grabbed him, dragging him, now unconscious, out while holding the needle out for Minji to see. She had frozen at the sight of the small object. As soon as the door closed again, she grabbed a metal chair that sat by the bed and threw it at the window, then screamed.

Kyuhyun shivered. “She looks so evil. It's kinda scary.”

The doctor sighed. “Her Umma stopped by a few days ago and dropped off a violin. She said that instruments calmed Minji down, but I don't want to put it in there. It might become her next weapon, so we kept it in here.”

Sandara smiled. “Can I see it?” The doctor gave it to her, and she walked into the room with Minji, much to the horror of the rest of the group. Minji looked at her. “Hello. I thought you could use some company.”