Chapter 5

Her Double Life (Lee Taemin Love Story)

Minji slowly relaxed and leaned against Taemin's body with a sigh, blush coloring her cheeks. Taemin smiled down at her and rested his chin on top of her head, swaying slightly to calm her down. Beside them, Minho watched with a grin, but stayed silent and vigilant for any signs of aggression from Minji.

“Why are you so worried about Minji-ya? From what she said, you treated her like a boy all growing up, so why would you care if she hung out with five men?” Key asked curiously.

“Because she's still a girl, and men get urges.” Chung-Hee growled.

“And her opinions on men aren't trustworthy, nor do they count.” Shin-Hee added firmly.

“What was that, big mouth?! Wanna say that again?! C'mere and say it to my face!” Minji spat, struggling to get out of Taemin's arms. “I'll shave your head, you stupid pretty boy! I will hunt you down and shave your head!”

Letting out a squeak of fear, Shin-Hee grabbed Chung-Hee's arm and started pulling him in the direction of the door. Taemin struggled to keep a hold of Minji as she squirmed and flailed angrily. Minho grabbed her shoulders to try and keep her from doing anything drastic. Minji glared after her brothers and slipped under Taemin's arms, away from Minho's hold, and leaped to her feet to chase after them. Key and Jonghyun stood in front of Minji, blocking her way out. Tensing, Minji spun around and, shoving the window open, jumped out of it and grabbed onto the ledge, dangling three stories in the air. Onew, who was closest to the window, moved to grab her hands before she fell, but Minji easily fell down to the next ledge and grabbed it. Hissing in pain, Minji looked to the ground and let go, landing on her bare feet on the concrete. Shin-Hee and Chung-Hee were halfway across the parking lot, looking over their shoulders at her.

“Get back here, Pabo Shin-Hee!” Minji shouted, running after them.

Chung-Hee stuck his tongue out at her. “Get lost, Mi! You have children that you need to watch, and stupid guests to get out of your house! Go back to your apartment!”

Minji came to a halt and glared after her brothers, then spun on her heels and raced back to her apartment, taking the stairs two at a time. Standing on the landing outside her door, the five of them shook their heads at her, but said nothing. The sound of a child whining inside caused Minji to move faster inside, nearly running into Rin as she made her way to the front door.

“Mi Ajumma, where were you going?” Rin yawned.

“Chu Ajussi and Shi Ajussi were here, and they were being mean, so I had to chase them out of here.” Minji explained kindly, bending down to look at Rin. “You done with your nap, now? Do you want an apple while we wait for Appa?”

“Apple! Mi Ajumma, apple!” Rin cheered, grabbing Minji's hand and skipping into the kitchen with her.

Laughing quietly, Key was the first to follow after them with a cheerful expression, dragging Taemin with him. The other three sat in the living room and whispered to each other. Minji grabbed an apple and, humming to herself, grabbed a knife and peeled and cut the apple with it, then cut out the core, put the slices in a bowl, and gave it to Rin.

Key grinned. “That is how you cut an apple, Taemin. Remember that for next time you decide to cut one.”

Giving the older man a look, Taemin spoke to Minji. “How did you learn to climb like that, Minji-ya?”

She flashed a beautiful smile at him as she quickly cleaned the kitchen. “Let's just say, you learn to go up, then you learn to go down. And if you don't learn, you get stuck up there until help comes. And the help usually pokes at you to make sure you didn't get hurt.”

Rin tugged on her pant leg and pouted. “Mi Ajumma, eat!”

Smiling, the blonde petted the little girl's hair. “I have to go check on Jung. Why don't you take Key or Taemin to eat with you? I'm sure they would love to eat with you.”

“Ajussi! Eat!” Rin beamed up at Taemin, reaching for his hand with her free hand.

“Not Ajussi, Rin. Taemin. He is not your Ajussi.” the woman laughed. She looked up at the youngest SHINee member. “Is it okay if she stays with you for a few minutes while I check on Jung?”

Taemin nodded and followed Rin out of the kitchen, into the living room. Key happily skipped after them, tossing a grin at the blonde as he left. Sighing to herself, she moved swiftly into the guest bedroom and saw Jung still sleeping on the bed. His soft snores met her ears. Her features softened as she sat on the bed and picked him up, cradling him in her arms. Jung whined weakly in his sleep, then calmed down and cuddled into her.

“Appa should be here soon, baby. Are you going to sleep until he comes?” she cooed quietly, rocking Jung back and forth. He snored quietly and she kissed his forehead. “It's been a long day for you, hasn't it?”

Humming a lullaby, she closed her eyes. “Sleep my baby, sleep my lovely. Close your eyes, my baby. You are such a good baby, sleep my darling, sleep. Where's your nanny? Where's she gone? Over the mountains she has travelled, to her parent's home. As a souvenir from her hometown, tell me what she gave you, darling. A small rattle drum, and a small bamboo flute.”

Jung slept peacefully in her arms, oblivious to what was going on around him. She hummed the Japanese lullaby again for him, then, with a soft smile, placed him back on the bed and crept out of the room. Her phone buzzed in her pocket, signalling that she had a new text, and she quickly pulled her phone out to read it.

To: Minji

On my way. Be there in 10-15
From: Jan


Shaking her head, she put her cell away and made her way into the living room. Rin spotted her and jumped to her feet, running to her.

“Mi Ajumma! Eat!” Rin demanded.

“Okay, but after you need to go wash up and get ready for Appa to pick you up.” Minji nodded, following Rin back to her seat.

“Mi Ajumma sing?” Rin smiled innocently up at Minji, handing her an apple slice.

Minji shook her head and took the apple. “Not today, Rin. Maybe next time, when we don't have guests over. Or you can go ask Umma or Hal Muh Ni when you get home. I bet one of them will sing for you.”

Rin pouted. “But why? Mi Ajumma, wanna sing! Please? Once?”

Eager, Jonghyun grinned. “Go ahead and sing. It doesn't matter to us, Minji-ya. In fact, we want to hear this.”

Key put his hands together and grinned. “C'mon, Minji. Sing for Rin.”

Onew nodded. “Yeah, it's not like we'll judge you.”

Dropping her head, Minji grumbled. “I should have stayed in the guest bedroom with Jung.”

“Please, Minji-ya? Just once. It's not like it'll be bad. Please?” Taemin pouted cutely, wrapping an arm around her shoulders.

“I will never do this again.” Minji gave in, putting her apple slice down and bringing Rin to sit on her lap. Calming down, Rin snuggled against Minji and closed her eyes. “Which song, Rin?”

“Run, English.” Rin answered immediately.

“Light up, light up, as if you had the choice. Even if you cannot hear my voice, I'll be right beside you, dear.” Minji sang softly to Rin in English. “Mhm, louder, louder, and we'll run for our lives. I can hardly speak, I understand why you can't raise your voice to say...”

“Mi Ajumma, eat now.” Rin beamed, picking up Minji's abandoned apple slice. “Say 'aah,' Mi Ajumma.”

“Aah.” Minji opened and Rin held the apple slice for her to take a bite.

“How can you pronounce English so well, Minji?” Minho asked.

Minji rolled her eyes and swallowed her apple. “As I said before, my Umma is from America. I'm half American. I grew up with two languages in my house. And it helps that I went to America for three years.”

Onew raised an eyebrow. “Were you an exchange student for three years?”

She shook her head, smirking. “Nope. I graduated when I was fourteen. I was attending school of performing arts in America. I mostly did dancing and acting.”

“Where in America?” Minho continued.

“It's a private school, and I was sworn to secrecy about its location.” Minji shrugged, taking another bite of her apple slice.

“Then how did you get in, if nobody is allowed to speak about it?” Jonghyun questioned.

“One of their scouts came to a gymnastics class and asked the teacher if any of the graduated students had any amazing performing talents. My name was said, I had to show him my talents, and that's how I got in.” Minji explained.

Taemin smiled. “Sounds complicated. And how did you graduate so young, Minji-ya? I wouldn't be able to do that, no matter how hard I tried.”

A giggle escaped her lips, and Minji hid her smile behind her hand. “I'll tell you another day, Taemin Oppa. Jan will be here soon, so I have to get the children ready to go.”