Chapter 28

Her Double Life (Lee Taemin Love Story)

Trying to remain calm, Minji straightened her shoulders. “I think I'm going to walk home. I really need to clear my head after today. I'm sorry. I'll talk to everyone soon.”

Before any of them could respond, Minji had run out the door, right into a crowd of reporters. As soon as they saw Minji, they moved closer, trying to get their microphones and recorders closer to her. They were all shooting questions at her regarding Dae. Everything came crashing down on her shoulders, and Minji started to cry, all of her strength draining. She came to a stop and slowly faced the reporters.

You want to know what happened today? This morning in the hospital, my Dongsaeng, Dae, died in my arms. He had a terminal illness that I had never known about, and I only found out today, so it's hard to take in. I ask that everyone gives me and my family support in our time of grieving, and that we be left alone for the time being.” Minji spoke softly into the many recording devices, trying to wipe the tears away.

After that was said, she ignored the questions shot at her and ran down the street to get away. She wanted to get away from everything and just disappear so the pain would go away. She could see Dae's sad face during his final moments with her, and Mi-Cha's sickly pale face when she had last spoken to her over video. Two broken voices of ghosts spoke to her. Taemin's cheerful face and question were also bouncing around. When she finally noticed where she was, she was beside a Starbucks. She raced to the building and climbed it before completely breaking down and sobbing. Her frantic fingers searched in her bag for her cell.

She brought it out of the bag and dialled a number she knew by heart. It rang twice before someone answered. “Umma... I can't do this... I can't handle this anymore...”

Minji...” her Umma cried softly into the phone. “Please tell me where you are. Someone will come and get you, baby girl. We all need to talk about some things.”

I'm at the Starbucks a few blocks from SM Entertainment.” Minji sniffled. “Umma, the press know already.”

Baby girl, please stay where you are and be careful. Chung-Hee is coming to get you right now from his apartment. He'll be there soon.” her Umma soothed.

Minji sat on top of the Starbucks for nearly ten minutes before she saw Chung-Hee's car pull up in front of the Starbucks. Crying again, Minji quickly got down and ran to Chung-Hee as he got out of the vehicle to meet her. His arms wrapped around her and he petted her hair in comfort while he let a few tears slip down his face. People watched the two, and many stopped to observe and take pictures, but the siblings paid no attention to them.

Oppa, it hurts so much.” Minji cried into his shirt.

I know, Mi. All of us are hurting right now.” Chung-Hee agreed.

She bit her lip. “I tried so hard to be strong for all of you, but I can't do it, Oppa. I feel so weak. I promised Dae that I would be strong, and I can't.”

Chung-Hee held her tighter. “Don't give up, Minji. Dae wouldn't have had you promise that if he wasn't sure you could do it. He honestly trusts you with everything he had. Please trust that he's right.”

With that said, Chung-Hee led the younger woman to the passenger seat, then got in the driver's seat and they drove away. The whole ride to Jan's house was silent. Chung-Hee pulled into the driveway, beside their Umma's car and behind Shin-Hee's truck. Their Umma ran out the door and hugged Minji tightly, then she led the two inside. Jan and Rei sat on one couch, holding Jung and Rin, and Shin-Hee and Hana sat in a chair, Hana sitting on Shin-Hee's lap. There was one empty couch left.

Minji.” Shin-Hee whispered, getting to his feet and embracing her.

Jan gave Rin over to Rei, then he and Chung-Hee joined Shin-Hee in embracing their Dongsaeng. It seemed they had all cried their last tears already, so they just silently held onto each other for comfort.

Please sit down. We all need to talk.” their Umma commanded, sitting on the once empty couch. Everyone took a seat and gazed expectantly at the older woman. “With everything that's happened, I'm going back to my family in America, and Dae wanted his ashes to be buried there.”

I'm coming with you, Umma.” Minji stated quietly.

Me, too. You're not going alone. You still need us, Umma.” Chung-Hee nodded.

If Chung-Hee and Minji are going, so am I.” Shin-Hee agreed.

Hana sighed. “I'm coming, too.”

Their Umma frowned at them. “How can all of you just leave your jobs to come to America with me?”

Minji weakly smiled. “You've done everything for us, Umma. Now we're going to do the same thing for you.”

Jan shook his head sadly. “We're moving to Japan so Rei can be closer to her family, but we'll keep in contact. Sorry, but we were planning this a few weeks ago.”

Don't be sorry about it. The children need their other Grandparents, too.” the older woman scolded lightly.

I can get a plane to get us within three days, if that's when you want to go. It can fit all of our belongings.” Minji offered. The other four agreed.