Chapter 17

Her Double Life (Lee Taemin Love Story)

A few weeks had passed since Minji had returned to Korea, and she was well known by many people. She had become well acquainted with the members of SHINee, MBLAQ, Super Junior, BIGBANG, 2NE1, Wonder Girls, and a few other idols. People from America had found out about Minji, and some of her famous friends there were mentioning her in interviews and TV shows. Some had even sent her videos to say how happy they were for her. Today was August 23, 2012. Currently, Minji was watching some of them in her new small two bedroom house in Soeul, sitting in her soundproof basement. She was wearing black basketball shorts and a white undershirt, lazy clothes.

Hey, girl. Beyoncé, here. I just wanted to say that I'm glad that you can be with your family again. Be happy, Mi-Cha – I guess it's Minji now, isn't it? Anyways, come and visit soon, and find a boyfriend. You deserve it. See ya later, baby.

Hey, it's Avril. You got guts for what you did, and I'm proud of you. Continue being the shining star that you are, okay? Don't forget about all of us over here that love you. Visit sometime. Find a good man that'll love you, Mi-Cha. Lots of love!

This is Robert Downey Jr. I was just wondering something... How come you never told me, of all people? I mean, c'mon, I'm cool, right? You could've told me! You'd better visit!

Laughing to herself, Minji clicked on her e-mail. There was a new e-mail from Paris Jackson, Michael Jackson's daughter, labelled Pictures with Dad. Minji opened it and saw pictures of her and Michael, dancing, laughing, talking, and smiling at the camera. She printed those pictures off and put them in a scrapbook that she was making of her life in America. There were pictures of her at the Red Carpet in a beautiful slim black dress from when she was sixteen. Many pictures were in there, of her with stars, shooting a scene for a movie, dancing, playing sports, and so on. There were also articles about her when she was pushed over a cliff and placed in a coma for three months when she was four, after shooting her first film at the age of fourteen, her mental breakdown and having to be emitted to the hospital for a month when she was fifteen, a car crash where she got a minor concussion and a large shard of glass in her side when she was seventeen, all of which were translated to Korean. There were momentos, like the graduation certificate from the private school she attended, tickets to concerts she performed in, notes she had received from stars, scripts, schedules, and so on. Everything was in chronological order, with exact dates.

Ah, I'm tired. I can't believe I stayed up all night to make this stupid thing.” Minji mumbled to herself, closing the large book and turning off the lamp.

With a yawn, Minji stood and dragged herself over to a small couch in the corner of the room before flopping on it and closing her eyes to sleep. With no windows in the room and the doors closed, the room was dark. She quickly fell asleep.

Later she woke up to her cell phone ringing on the desk across the room. Groggily, she got to her feet and, rubbing her eyes, went to answer it. She turned the lamp that sat on the desk on and light filled the room, making her cringe. Underneath a bunch of scrap papers, some pens, and a pair of scissors, her phone continued to ring. Her exhausted mind had trouble processing the situation, but she eventually found the phone and answered it.

Hello, this is Yoo Minji. How can I help you?” Minji spoke into the phone, not as enthusiastically as she wanted to.

Are you okay, Minji? You sound really tired. Have you been getting enough sleep?” Taemin asked worriedly, his voice soft and caring.

Oh, yeah, I'm fine, Oppa.” Minji lied. “What can I do for you?”

Taemin hummed. “Well, SHINee and Super Junior are going onto a reality show today, and everyone was wondering if you would like to come. You didn't answer anybody's texts, so I thought I'd phone and see if you were okay.”

Shaking herself awake, Minji smiled. “Were you worried, Oppa? That's sweet, thank you. When is the show?”

Two hours. Are you coming?” Taemin replied. He stated where they were filming, hoping she would say yes.

Okay, tell everyone I'll be there. See you soon, Oppa.” Minji sang into the phone before hanging up.

Holding back a yawn and trying to convince herself that she wasn't tired, Minji ran up the stairs, phone in one hand and scrap book in the other, and shoved open the basement door. The door was hidden under the island in her kitchen, so people could not easily find the basement, and the door was small enough that people had to crawl through it. Once standing, Minji pushed the door to the fake cabinet closed and rushed to her room. She dropped the things in her hands onto her bed and, turning on music on her iPod, ran to the bathroom to have a shower. The warm water woke her up some, and she washed her hair quickly while humming to Beat It by Michael Jackson. As soon as all of the soap was out of her hair and she was clean, she hopped out of the shower and dried herself with a towel, then went to find an outfit. She ended up grabbing black short shorts, blue and black striped knee high socks, and a sky blue tank top that said 'Dance It, Rock It' on it. Then she brushed the knots out of her hair. A large stack of rubber bracelets sat on her dresser, and Minji grabbed two of them, putting one on each wrist.

Good enough. Now, for some breakfast!” Minji shouted, running to the kitchen.

So Cool by Sistar was playing, and Minji hummed along while she grabbed some fruit and sliced it up, making a fruit salad, and poured a glass of milk. After that was done, Minji sat at the island to eat quickly. Once that was done and she had cleaned her used dishes and utensils, she brushed her teeth, put on light make up, and put a black flat rimmed hat on. When Minji was finally ready to go, with just over an hour to spare. She grabbed her blue guitar, in its case, put her phone and the scrapbook in her purse, grabbed her keys and water bottle, shut off her iPod, and put on black skater shoes, running out to her car. Her belongings, with the exception of her keys, were placed on the passenger side of the vehicle. She quickly drove off.

It took about fifteen to finally get to the place where they were filming, but she got there and parked her car near the back door. She was the only one there, besides the crew, who were all setting up and paying her no attention. Smiling, she taped the tips of her fingers and grabbed her guitar from its case. She sat on the back of her car, idly plucking some strings and humming.

What to do, what to do...” Minji muttered, then saw some teenage girls watching her with their phones out. She motioned them over, and they quickly obliged. “Hey, name a song that you want me to play.”

The shorter of the two girls, with her phone recording it, spoke, her voice soft. “Taeyang's Wedding Dress.”

Nodding kindly, Minji started playing Wedding Dress by Taeyang of BIGBANG, humming along. The taller of the two started singing, and the shorter one soon copied. Other people on the streets had stopped to watch, and were pulling out their phones. Ignoring them, Minji continued to play, feeling more awake now that she was out in the fresh air. Once that was done, the guitar was put carefully down on her car, and Minji smiled at the two.

Um, can I have an autograph, Minji-ssi?” the smaller girl asked.

Do you have a paper and a pen on you, because I don't think I do.” Minji admitted lightly, and both girls nodded quickly, bringing the named utensils out of their purses. “Thank you for joining me while I wait for my companions. And call me Minji Unni.”

With that, she signed a piece of paper for both girls, took a picture with both of them on their cell phones, and bid them farewell as they went back to school. Other people had gathered for autographs, paper and pen in hand, and she started to sign. Everything was more or less calming down. People left after they got an autograph and a few pictures. Once everyone was gone and she was alone again, Minji grabbed her guitar again and started to play Lonely by 2NE1, humming along to the song. Some of the staff listened while they worked, and smiled. Not even halfway through the song, Minji stopped playing with an unhappy frown. She put her guitar in its case, which had a strap on it, and threw a water bottle in it, too, closed it and threw the strap over her shoulder. She tightened the strap so her guitar rested securely against her back.

If anybody asks, I went to the roof, okay?” Minji called to one of the staff members, a smaller woman, who nodded.

Taking a deep breath, the blonde woman ran at the wall of the building and jumped on it, quickly climbing up toward the roof. There were a several floors to the building, so she was climbing over fifty feet above the pavement below. Trying not to think too much about it, she pushed upward until she was on the roof, panting a little. Her arms and legs were protesting the long climb with the heavy case on her back. She loosened the strap and took the guitar case off. The first thing she grabbed for was the water bottle, which she opened and took a quick drink from to ease her tiredness from the climb.

Next, she grabbed for her guitar and, legs dangling over the side of the building, started to play Livin' on a Prayer by Bon Jovi. The wind blew her hair and the sun beamed down on her. It was a beautiful day, and the blonde tried to clear her mind from her many relentless thoughts. Too many painful memories were running through her head, and she wanted them gone. Before she knew it, she was just strumming random notes, deep in thought. It wasn't until she blankly looked down and caught sight of something that she snapped out of it.

A large group of men were climbing out of two black vehicles, both equally large enough to fit many people. Though she could not make out a single person's face or general body structure, she knew that it was Super Junior and SHINee, who had showed up for the show they had invited her to come to. They were talking to a few of the staff, who were pointing toward the roof frantically, probably telling them where she was. The large group looked up and she could distinctly hear Key's cry of shock.

Minji, get down from there! Right now!” Key screamed.

Laughing, Minji put her guitar and water away, threw the strap over her shoulders and tightened it, and sat back down. She mock saluted and turned so her stomach was flat against the roof, starting to make her way down the side of the building. Key's cries got louder, and a few other shocked voices rose as well. Her hands, very used to climbing by now, easily found holds so she could quickly and safely get down. After a few minutes, she was back down to the second floor, and kicked off the building to fall the rest of the way to the ground. As soon as her feet hit the ground she was surrounded. Everyone started speaking at once.

Are you okay, Minji? You could've been seriously hurt. Don't do that.” Key scolded.

Taemin grinned, throwing his arms around her shoulders. “That was so awesome. You need to teach me how to do that, Minji-ya. I wanna learn.”

Leeteuk frowned. “You scared everyone. You need to be more careful.”

Minji pouted, looking at her feet. “I'm sorry I scared all of you, but I was perfectly fine. I've been doing this for years. I know exactly what I'm doing.” She looked up at them and smiled weakly. “Now go, all of you need to get ready for the show.”