Chapter 11

Her Double Life (Lee Taemin Love Story)

Minji sat in the dance studio, taking a break after dancing. She had only been home for an hour, finally getting a ride home from Jan after strictly scolding and punishing him, Chung-Hee, Shin-Hee, and Dae for their rudeness toward the idols. Panting slightly, Minji grabbed her water bottle and unscrewed the cap to take a drink of the cold liquid. Her phone rang, making her jump. She took a quick sip of her drink to cool herself off before grabbing her cell.

Without looking at the caller ID, Minji answered the phone. “Hello?”

Hi, Minji-ya!” someone sang through the phone, with other voices talking in the background.

May I ask who this is?” Minji asked politely.

But, Minji-ya, I told you I was phoning later.” he pouted.

You must not have made that good of an impression if she doesn't remember you!” someone called to the man on the phone.

Minji smiled, speaking in a sing-song voice. “Miru Oppa! I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings, I wasn't thinking. Forgive me. Who else is there? It sounds like you have at least three people there.”

Mir laughed. “You don't need to sound so formal, Minji-ya. We're friends, remember? And the rest of MBLAQ are here. I told them about you, and they didn't believe me when I said you're really pretty and cute and funny and really really smart and like a female version of Spider Man.”

Giggling, Minji spoke to the whole group. “Hello, I'm Yoo Minji. I'm half American, and I went to school in America for three years. Please take me kindly.”

Ooh, she's multi-cultured!” one man shouted.

She giggled!” another bellowed.

Are you really like a female version of Spider Man, Minji-ya?” a childish voice asked.

I can free-climb buildings, if that's what you're asking, Cheondung-ssi. But I can't shoot spider webs or anything like that.” Minji replied lightly.

Cheondung whined. “Wah, you're too formal, Minji-ya.”

Minji laughed. “Sorry, Cheondung Oppa. I'll work on it.” She sighed. “What else has Mir Oppa said about me?”

He just babbled on about you being really smart and being Spider Woman.” a new voice stated.

I see. Well, it's good to be speak with all of you, Seungho-ssi, G.O-ssi, Joon-ssi, Cheondung Oppa, Mir Oppa.” Minji smiled, wiping sweat from her brow. “Or would you rather me call all of you Oppa?”

Yes!” Joon sang.

Yes.” G.O agreed.

Please.” Seungho chimed in.

Mir piped in. “We should do video chat! That way they can see you, Minji-ya! Please?” Minji agreed. “Okay, cover your camera so it can be like a revealing, okay?”

The call was switched to video chat and Minji covered her camera on her phone, smiling at Mir's childish excitement. The five members of MBLAQ whispered eagerly to each other, and Mir counted down for the unveiling of Minji to the other four MBLAQ members. Slowly, Minji pulled her hand back and flashed a kind smile at the five. Mir grinned. The other four froze in shock.

A-are your hair and eyes natural?” Joon questioned, stuttering. She nodded and he smiled his signature smile.

You're really pretty, Minji-ya.” Cheondung complimented, blushing slightly.

Well, I usually look better when I'm not sweaty, Cheondung Oppa, but thank you.” Minji stated kindly, then took a quick drink from her water bottle. “If we ever meet in person, I'll show you how I climb, okay, Oppa?”

Cheondung beamed. “Sounds good to me. We don't have a schedule tomorrow, so we could meet then, if you can.”

G.O nodded. “Yes, we could arrange a time and a place to meet.”

Joon got an excited look on his face. “Do you have plans for tomorrow yet? Or can you make it?”

She giggled. “I don't work tomorrow, and I have no important plans. I could go into Seoul tomorrow around eleven. But where do you want to meet?”

How about a restaurant for lunch?” Seungho suggested. Everyone agreed and they figured out which place.

Uh, s-sure. I'll see all of you then. Goodbye, Oppas.” Minji nodded, hesitating slightly.

Okay, see you tomorrow, Minji-ya!” Mir shouted happily, then the call ended.

Brushing her blonde hair out of her face, she cringed. “Hopefully Shin-Hee Oppa and Chung-Hee Oppa don't work tomorrow. They wouldn't leave us alone.” Shrugging, she collected her things. “I guess I'd better go and pack now, since I won't have much time tomorrow.”

Quickly she threw on her jacket and ran out the door, locking it behind her, and back to her apartment. People were walking around outside, huddled in their jackets and rubbing their hands together to stay warm in the cold weather. The sky was covered with grey clouds that hid the sun. Holding back a shiver, the blonde haired woman made quick steps back to her apartment. The door was unlocked quickly and she rushed inside. She shed off her jacket and boots, grabbed her phone, then ran to her room and grabbed one of the nearly full suitcases that were stacked in her closet. Her phone was thrown onto her bed

Get some packing done. I'll get to see Joel, Jerico, Oliver, Caleb, and Manager in a few days.” she sang to herself in English, grabbing a stack of shorts.

Her phone rang from on her bed. Jumping with surprise, Minji got quickly to her feet and grabbed it, looking at the caller ID.

Umma

Minji speedily answered. “Hello, Umma.”


Minji, baby girl, what's this I hear you're hanging around a large crowd of attractive young men all by yourself?” her Umma asked. Before Minji could answer, she continued happily. “I need names, ages, where you met them, and which one of them you're dating.”

She blushed. “U-Umma, I'm not dating anyone. I met a few of them a few weeks ago when they saved me, and they introduced me to the others. They're idols, Umma. I can't date an idol.”

Her Umma scoffed. “Can't date an idol? Your Oppa 'couldn't date' Rei, but he did it anyways. Now he's married to her and has two beautiful children. You can date an idol, baby girl. Now what idols did you meet, which one are you dating, and when will I get to meet him?” She asked, eager for answers.

The SHINee Oppas brought me onto Idol Maknae Rebellion, so I know all of them. The MBLAQ Oppas want to meet me over lunch tomorrow, because Mir Oppa kept talking about me. And I'm not dating anyone, so stop asking, Umma.” Minji chuckled.

Fine then.” her Umma pouted. “Your Appa and I will be over tomorrow night to say goodbye. Goodnight, baby girl.”

Goodnight, Umma. I love you.” Minji smiled, then hung up.


She threw the phone onto her bed and started packing again, humming an unknown song to herself. Her house was quiet. It was lonely, and Minji wished for company, but did not want to phone anybody or go through the effort to have someone keep her company. Her phone rang loudly. Jumping, Minji grabbed it and looked at the caller ID. She looked surprised.

Manager Carter

Minji quickly answered it, speaking in English. “Hello Manager. What can I do for you?”

A male on the other end laughed, speaking in English, with a Spanish accent. “I told you to call me Carter, not Manager, Mi-Cha. It sounds too formal. Anyways, I was just phoning to make sure you were getting on the plane to come back for filming in two days.”

Grinning, Minji replied. “Of course, Manager Carter. I was just packing when you phoned.” She sighed. “I won't be around tomorrow afternoon, I'm going to meet some people for lunch, but I'll be ready to go early the next morning.”

Some old friends?” Carter asked curiously.

No,” Minji shook her head, “some new ones. I met an idol group a few weeks ago, and they brought me onto a reality TV show without my knowing today, and I met one of the people that I'm having lunch with. He wants me to meet his other members.”

Don't get too close, and watch what you say around them. We don't need this to affect your career, Mi-Cha. Their fan girls could ruin everything.” Carter warned sternly. “You have an image to keep up back here, and we don't want that wrecked by some crazy fans, or some angered idols. Do you understand what I'm saying?”

But the idols are super nice, Manager Carter. I trust them. And they won't let the fans do anything to me.” Minji tried to reason.


Carter's voice hardened. “I will phone tomorrow at 12:30, and if you are with those idols, there will be trouble when your plane touches down.”

Minji ground out a reply. “I already made the plans, and it would be rude to back out now. I'm going, whether you like it or not. Do whatever you want when I get there, but you're not running my life.”

With that, Minji hung up angrily and threw her phone back onto her bed, as far as it could be from her. Huffing, she got back down onto the floor and started packing her clothes again. As frustrated as she was, Minji knew that Manager Carter had a point, even if it was a cruel one.

Nobody here knew the name that she used in America, the only thing she could do to keep her family safe from reporters and fans. If she said something wrong, anything that could give her away, Minji would be pulling her family into the spotlight, no matter how small it was, which was the last thing that she wanted at the moment. So, she went by the name of 'Mi-Cha Park' in America. When her family said they were ready for the publicity, she would use her real name.