Chapter 1

Her Double Life (Lee Taemin Love Story)

The five men walked calmly down the abandoned street, glad for the privacy. Considering Incheon was a busy city, it was strange that the street was empty, even if this was one of the lower parts of the city. They all had hats on to help disguise them, in case anybody saw them. The youngest of the five, Lee Taemin, was behind the others, dancing, his light brown hair swaying. Beside him, the second youngest, Choi Minho, was just grinning at Taemin. In front of the two, the second oldest, Kim Jonghyun, was fixing his blond bangs into place. Ahead of them was the middle, Kim Kibum, better known as Key, was humming animatedly to himself. And beside Key was the oldest, Lee Jinki, better known as Onew, leading them along the abandoned street. The five of them were from one of the more famous bands in Korea, SHINee.

As they came up on an intersection, the sound of people running from their left caught their attention, and they stopped short to look at who was on the street. A lithe blonde haired woman ran past them without looking, phone, iPod, and keys dropping as she slipped slightly on the ice. Chasing after her, two large, muscular men held thick, metal pipes that were at least three and a half feet long, their arms covered in tattoos and heads shaved. The woman stopped short, seemingly looking for her dropped items that sat at their feet. One of the men swung at her and the five tensed, ready to attack the men. To their surprise, she swiftly dodged and gave them a harsh glare.

“What's your problem?!” she shouted angrily, one hand holding something in her sweater pocket.

They both swung at her, but she twirled elegantly out of the way. “Stop moving!”

She caught sight of the five of them near her things, and it looked almost like there were flames in her lovely light blue eyes that looked almost like ice. There was a warning in them, telling them to not take off with her stuff, or get involved. Bringing her hand out of her pocket, she snapped open a switch blade and held it threateningly, getting into a crouch.

“You just messed with the wrong person!” she growled, running to make a wide turn to avoid them and get her things.

“Shouldn't we help her?” Taemin asked, muscles tense.

“And what exactly can we do, Taemin? We don't have anything to fight them with.” Jonghyun retorted. “She's better prepared than we are, right now. And I really don't feel like getting beat up.”

Taemin scowled. “But we have to do something. She doesn't need to get beat up, either, and I'm not gonna just stand here while she does.”

Minho nodded. “If anything happens, I'm stepping in, but for the moment, she looks like she'll be okay.”

Key picked up her things and tossed her a worried look. “She looks so small. I think she's younger than Taemin. Do you really think she can handle herself, Jonghyun?”

“I don't know, Key. Phone the police, since you have her phone.” Jonghyun sighed.

They watched as she repeatedly avoided their swings, looking more like a graceful dancer than a woman in trouble. Her blonde hair came out of its ponytail and fell down to her shoulders, flying around her as she dodged. Unexpectedly, she lurched forward and stabbed the larger of the two in the shoulder with the switch blade in her hands, twisting it and letting him scream. She let go of the hilt of the blade just in time to jump out of the way of the second pipe that had been aimed at her head, instead hitting the blade that was still in the one man's shoulder. A screech of pain filled the air. It was obvious that she was getting tired and cold as she stumbled back and shivered, starting to pant heavily.

“The police are on their way.” Key informed them.

“Oy, you with my stuff! If you try to run away, I will hunt you down!” the woman shouted over at Key.

Onew started forward. “We have to get her out of there. C'mon.”

The five of them started forward, the movement catching her attention, and she spun to face them, muscles tense. While her back was turned, the one healthy man swung and barely clipped her upper back. Eyes widening, she slipped on ice and fell onto the concrete and her head smacked against the road. Onew, Jonghyun, and Minho ran up to the man and started attacking him while avoiding his swings. Key and Taemin raced to her side and looked over her to make sure that she was not hurt too badly. There was a large bump on the side of her head, and she probably had a bruise on her back, but otherwise seemed unharmed.

Her eyes fluttered open and she cringed. “Stupid...”

Key lifted her head to rest on his lap. “You're okay now. What's your name?”

She gave him a strange look. “None of your business, buddy. If it wasn't for you guys, I would have taken them out by now.”

Shaking his head, Key scolded her. “Being cocky isn't good. You can't blame others for your mistakes, either. Now will you tell me your name, or am I just going to call you whatever I choose?”

“Do whatever the heck you want, because I'm leaving.” she grumbled, snatching up her things.

“You can't leave, yet. An ambulance is coming and you should get checked out.” Taemin argued, pushing her to lie back down.

“All the more reason to leave. I'm fine.” she muttered irritably, pushing them away and getting to her feet.

Immediately, Minho and Jonghyun grabbed her arms and held her there so she could not escape. Squealing in frustration, she started to squirm in their grip. Onew was leaning the two unconscious men against the wall, though his eyes were on her as she struggled. Taemin got to his feet and helped Key up, both curiously watching the woman. The sound of sirens were heard in the distance, getting closer.

“I just want to go home! Let me go!” she spat huffily.

Minho shook his head. “You need to get checked out by the paramedics. You're not leaving before that.”

She turned her head to glare at Minho. “I don't want to get checked out by some stupid paramedics! I want to go home! Now let me go!”

They could see the lights of two ambulances and police cruisers now, and she started struggling even more to free herself, kicking angrily at Minho and Jonghyun. Heaving a sigh, Jonghyun picked her up and threw her over his shoulder. Key grabbed the items that she held in her hands and gave her a reassuring smile. She started screaming and flailing. The ambulances and police cruisers came to a halt close by, and people came rushing out. One of the paramedics, an older woman, looked once at the woman being held by Jonghyun and chuckled, calming down.

“What happened this time?” she cooed to the smaller woman.

“Shut up, you crazy old woman!” the younger one snapped, sounding panicked.

“Hold onto her tightly, please, so she doesn't run away. And can someone grab her arms so she doesn't try to attack anybody?” the paramedic smiled, amused.

Minho and Onew each grabbed one of her arms and held them out. She let out a shriek and started twisting around, pulling on her arms. The old paramedic came back with two needles that held a clear liquid in them, and held them up for the struggling woman to see.

“Now, Minji-ya, don't make this harder than it has to be. Are you going to come to the hospital calmly, or are we going to have to sedate you again? Because you're coming to the hospital either way.” the older woman stated with amusement.

The woman named Minji tensed. “Don't you dare come near me with that, you crazy old bat!” She glared between her three restrainers. “Now let me go! I wanna go home! Let me go!”

Sighing, the paramedic walked toward Minji and shook her head. “Can you make sure she doesn't move her arms so I can sedate her?”

Minji bared her teeth. “This is torture and kidnapping!”

The older woman stabbed both needles into the blood veins in the crooks of her elbows and injected the sedative into her bloodstream. Minji started screaming loudly until her struggles weakened. She passed out. Another paramedic laughed as he rolled the gurney up to them. Jonghyun carefully placed Minji on the gurney.

“Let's take a look at the damage. Bae, can you hold her up while I take off her sweater?” the older woman asked kindly of the other paramedic, and he nodded. Minji was sat up and her sweater was taken off of her shoulders, revealing pale skin that glistened with sweat, and a slight bruise on her upper back. “Oh, Minji-ya's going to be perfectly fine. This little thing won't stop her.”

Taemin spoke up. “Um, I don't mean to be rude, but who are you and how do you know her?”

“Call me Eun Ajumma. I've known Minji-ya since she was a baby. Me and her Umma were good friends, and Minji-ya's family has had many visits to the hospital.” the older woman smiled, covering Minji with a thick blanket.

“She has three Oppas, a Dongsaeng, and five cousins that live here, all competitive boys. She grew up with all of them, and has almost always been treated like one of them, which explains why she gets into these situations.” Bae explained, setting Minji down.

“And why doesn't she want to go to the hospital?” Key asked worriedly.

“She has an unexplained fear of hospitals and everything to do with them.” Eun shrugged.

“Why are you so worried about Minji-ya if you don't seem to know a thing about her?” Bae questioned with amusement.

Key frowned. “I feel partly responsible for what happened to her. Would it be okay if I came along so she has someone there when she wakes up?”

Onew gave Key a look of confusion. “What brought this on all of a sudden, Key?”

Jonghyun laughed. “Key's Umma instincts have been awakened! He's feeling like an Umma toward her!”

Taemin stifled a chuckle. “But Key Hyung's right. I would like to go, too, if that's okay.”

“Anything for you. Minji-ya's a huge fan.” Bae smirked, rolling the gurney into the ambulance and getting into the drivers seat.

Key and Taemin quickly got in the back of the ambulance and sat on either side of Minji, Minho, Jonghyun, and Onew hesitating slightly before getting in, too. Eun chuckled and closed the back doors behind them, then got into the passenger seat.