Prologue

Her Double Life (Lee Taemin Love Story)

Humming to herself and shivering from the cold, Yoo Minji grabbed the last box, a large and heavy one, that sat in the back of her Appa's car and, closing the trunk, walked it up two flights of stairs and into her new apartment. It was November 26, 2011, and it was the day that Minji officially moved into her apartment. Yoo Jan, Minji's Appa, was setting up her TV in the living room. In the kitchen, Yoo Lucy, her Umma, was putting bags of food away. And in the guest bedroom, Yoo Chung-Hee, her Oppa, was moving the furniture around her room. Minji excitedly placed the box on the kitchen table and started helping her Umma, still humming quietly to herself. After a few minutes, Chung-Hee ran into the kitchen and grabbed Minji, lifting her into the air and spinning her in circles while cooing excitedly to her, which made her laugh.

“Your room's done, and so is the guest room. The kitchen's done. The living room's pretty much done. Just think, you're going to be living all alone from now on! My little Mi is growing up!” Chung-Hee cheered, placing Minji on her feet.

“Yes, and I really appreciate the help you're giving me, Chu Oppa.” Minji laughed, looking around the room.

Chung-Hee caught sight of the box on the kitchen table and pointed to it. “What's in there?”

Smiling, Minji picked the box up again. “It's just some CD's, posters, books, and the pictures that were in my old room. I'll take this to my room and be right back.”

Clearing his throat, the sibling's Appa entered the room and shook his head. “Everything's done, and we're leaving.”

“So soon?” Minji asked coldly, setting the box back down. The older man nodded. She turned to her Oppa and pouted. “Fine, but don't forget to visit, Chu Oppa.”

Tears in her eyes, her Umma strode up to her and pulled her into a hug. “I miss you not being at home. Don't forget to visit and phone.”

Minji followed her parents and brother to the door and they exchanged quick goodbye's while the three put on their jackets before the three made their way to their separate vehicles. Closing and locking the door behind her, Minji snatched up the box again and ran to her room, excited to put all of it up. As soon as she entered the main bedroom, Minji opened the box and pulled out SHINee's Replay CD, putting it in the CD player that was set up on top of her bookshelf. After the music started playing she pulled out five rolled up posters, looking for where she would place them.

 

Noona is so pretty

Looking at her I go crazy

But now I'm getting tired

Replay, replay, replay


Humming along to the song, Minji grabbed some tape. BIGBANG's Alive poster and Super Junior's Bonamana poster were taped on the wall by her desk. Next she put up MBLAQ's 100% Ver. and BLAQ Style posters were taped up on the inside her door. F.T. Island's Colorful Sensibility Part 2 poster was taped up beside one of her bookshelves. Then she moved to deal with the other three rolled up posters that still sat in the box. The first one, SHINee's Lucifer, was taped up on the right side of her closet, the second one, SHINee's Sherlock, was taped up by her body mirror, and the last one, SHINee's Ring Ding Dong, was taped to the wall at the head of her bed. Next, Minji grabbed the pictures that were in the box, of her family and friends, and put them around her room. There was one picture of her with her four siblings, oldest Oppa Jan, second and third oldest twin Oppas Chung-Hee and Shin-Hee, and younger Dongsaeng Dae, all of them asleep under a tree in the park. Smiling, Minji stared at the picture. Chung-Hee and Shin-Hee had sat on either side of her, Dae had sat on her lap, and Jan had laid on the grass at their feet, and that was how they had fallen asleep, a football sitting forgotten at Shin-Hee's side. This picture was the most recent one of the five of them, taken four and a half years ago.

“And I miss their loud, energetic behaviour.” Minji muttered to herself, straightening.

Looking at herself in her body mirror, Minji saw shoulder length natural dark blonde hair and icy blue eyes that stood out against her pale skin. She sighed and started unpacking all of the items in the boxes that littered the room. One of the good things about moving to Incheon from Seoul was that she was near the ocean, even if she was 19 miles away from the rest of her family. And she had found a temporary job as a dance teacher for children and teens. Her fourth day working was tomorrow morning, at 9:30.


“This is the last room you need to unpack, then you can go to the dance studio and practice.” Minji motivated herself determinedly.

About an hour and a half later, all of the boxes were unpacked and Minji was putting them away. Minji got changed, her hair up in a ponytail that revealed four ear piercings in each ear, and one in the cartilage of her right ear. Quickly she grabbed her keys, iPod, cell phone, and winter jacket, and ran out of her apartment, locking it behind her. She raced down the two flights of stairs and down the street, toward the dance studio that she worked at that was two blocks away. People gave her strange looks as she passed, but Minji ignored them and kept running, loving the feel of the cold night air hitting her face. The building that she had her eyes locked on was small, easy to miss if one did not know what they were looking for, and it was dark inside, signalling that nobody was there. Smiling to herself, Minji tightened her grip on her keys and ran to the door of the building, quickly unlocking it with the key that was given to her. The metal door creaked open.

Slipping inside, Minji turned the corner to the large room, flicked on the smaller light, put her keys and cell on a table, and put her iPod on the speaker dock. Mama by EXO started playing and she quickly synced her movements with the song. It felt nice to be able to move to the music. Next, Fantastic Baby by Big Bang blared through the speakers, and she switched her pace to match the song. A grin spread across her face as she bounced around to the tune. When that was done, Ring Ding Dong by SHINee started to blast through the room, and Minji immediately started dancing along with the song. Moving along to the songs were soothing. A small, content smile graced Minji's lips.

The sound of something metal hitting the door really hard made Minji jump, stopping her dance short. She stopped the music and listened, but no other sound followed. Grabbing most of her things, Minji cautiously moved toward the door and peeked around the corner. The door was open, and there was a dent on the door, but there was nobody around. Minji got edgy and, snatching up a switch blade, which had been confiscated from one of her students, and hiding it in her sweater pocket, shut off the light and hurried out of the building. She locked it quickly behind her and started jogging back toward her house, forgetting about her winter jacket. Heavy footfalls sounded behind her. Sparing a glance over her shoulder, Minji saw two muscular men with large metal pipes chasing after her, and gaining ground. Forcing her legs to move faster, Minji flew down the street and ground her teeth, panting slightly.

Minji looked around the now empty street and shouted. “Why does this happen to me? I was dancing! I did nothing wrong!”