Chapter 3.

The Heart Never Forgets

 

" Go and have your breakfast, I’ll join you after I have washed up" you avoided his eyes and headed to the toilet. 

“Jaki, … “ , you turned around. 

“You know.. You can tell me anything right? “
You smiled, “Of course, don’t worry”

You took especially slow to wash up, You really wanna think through before facing him.

"Jakiya, you okay? I’m leaving soon"

“Ya, no worries. Big business, don’t stay so close to the toilet. Hurry to your schedules, have a nice day at work alrights! ” You tried your best to hide your troubled heart with a cheerful tone.

He hesitated, “You too, love ”

There, the door closed shut. You’re alone.
You let the tears that you tried so hard to held in to flow out.
Your mind drifted.

*flashback* 
-Three days after you broke up with Daehyun, you were found in your room everyday-

"Honey, you can’t keep doing this."
*sniff* “Go away! “
 

-After 4 months- 
“Honey, .. urms you know, you gotta snap out of this. You.. shouldn’t hold on to puppy love. I mean.. “

“What are you saying?! Are you saying that what we had wasn’t love? “

“You guys dated at such young age and already broke up.. “

“We dated. For Five Years” you hissed emphasising for five years.

“That’s true honey, but you’re still young, don’t restrict yourself to one guy only. You’re a beautiful girl with so much potential. “

“So is he! He is a top kpop idol now!”

“Why are you raising your voice at me?! You guys broke up didn’t you? I never approved your relationship anyways. You always deserved better. “

“So, now what you’re saying is you’re happy that we broke up? ” you said flatly.

“Honey, you know I don’t mean that way.. “

“You obviously meant that way! I am not hungry. ” You stood up to leave.

 

-After 1 year since you broke up-
“Honey.. Hey, do you wanna go to my friend’s party with me? There are many kids of your age. It’ll be fun”

You agreed. 
During the party, she keep trying to pair you up with her friend’s son.

“Mum, can you stop this? “

“What? He is cute.. “

“Mum, I totally see through your actions, I will not date him”

“Who says anything about dating, just widen your social circle..  “
You left the party in anger.




-After 1 year 3 months since you broke up-
“Honey, shall we have dinner together?” 
“Mmm..”
“7pm at _____ restaurant. Wear something nice dear”

That night, .. 
“I’m ______, I think I had reservations”
“Right, this way miss”

You opened the door and found yourself facing a male. 
You silently cursed. You sat down roughly.

“Hi, I am Tim “
“Hi. “

He looked nervous.

“Your mum set you up too? ” he lightly joked. 
“Mmm”, you hissed sharply. 
He laughed softly, “Me too. “

Awkward silence as you ordered your dishes.

“So, .. How old are you? “
“21. “

*He awkwardly shifted his feet as he tried to chew softly*

You broke the silence, “I shall be completely honest with you. I broke up with my boyfriend of five years about a year ago and still have not moved on. For whatever reason your mum set you up, I don’t really care. I just want to let you know so we won’t get off at the wrong start. I forgot to introduced myself, I am Ji Yeon, Baek Ji Yeon.”

He laughed. That startled you, you were pretty confident that the anger was clearly felt through your eyes.

"What?" you asked flatly

"I guess we’re on the same boat. Ahh, you’re so cute for a 21 year old. I’m older than you, I’m 23 this year. I broke up with my girlfriend last year too. "

He ended there as he waited for your expression to change. 
You burst out laughing. 
For what ever reason, you were perfectly comfortable with each other as you joked with each other, discuss about social and current affairs. All sorts. 
The dinner ended.

"Let me send you home"

"Oh, don’t worry. There’s public transport"

"Aish, its already so late, how can a girl go home alone? "

"Its fine"

You really didn’t want your mum to suspect anything, but you didn’t wanna hurt your new found friend

"I insist, comeon, didn’t we agree to be good friends?"

"Ah, … alrights then. "
 

-car ride-
“There, take a left turn and I’ll be at my house, … Thanks! Thanks for the dinner tonight”
You took off your seatbelt and prepared to open the door. 
“Ah, Ji Yeon-sshi, can I have your number? “
“Mm… Alrights, pass me your phone”
*Passing details and you bade farewell*

Honestly, your heart was heavy. You were confused.
He is really a nice guy but you are not prepared to move on.
Daehyun, you still loved him.
Your mum somehow knew that you've reached because the door flung open when you were about to fit the key in.
You glared at your mum and stomped back to your room.

"Come on, you can’t be mad at me. I purposely chose someone that would be cute, .." she started using her fingers to count, "smart, funny, rich,… all the perfect personalities that will suit my perfect daughter"

You faked smiled to your mum as you said, “What if I prefer imperfect guys? Mum, I already told you, I am not ready to move on!”

"Why not? He really isn’t that good! He left you in pain after he debuted, kept you waiting, blowing off dates. I barely saw him once after he debuted. If he was serious, he wouldn’t have hurt my baby"

For the first time in many years, you saw your mum cried. 
This whole break up thing was probably not just hurting yourself, but people around you as well.
It is true, you haven’t been yourself for a year.
Living in pain and frustration especially when you see love birds.
Going to every single place and think of memories with him.
You did lost a lot of weight.

The reason you broke up with him, was that he left you broken-hearted too many times.
Left you waiting at the restaurant, blowing off dates, and he barely replies his messages.
Yet he gets angry when you post photos with your guy friends when you hang out with them.
 

*That Night when you broke up*
“Who’s that guy?”

"What guy?"

"Those disgusting jerks you took photos with.. "

You turned around to face him, “Excuse me? Just because they took photo with me makes them disgusting jerks? “

"They touched my girl"

You facepalmed, you glared at him, “Those “disgusting jerks” you claimed had the decency to not keep me waiting and leave me in awkward situations.
They were there,” emphasising loudly, “during my tough times.”
“It was just a friendly hug, besides..What’s wrong with spending time with friends who made time for me?” you endly off without emotions in your tone.

"Jaki, .. I've told you.
I never meant to leave you there..
I know I promised but always the dance instructer extends the time…
YongGuk Hyung wanted us to redo the song,… I am the lead vocalist.  I.."

"Then you shouldn’t have promised me.
Promises are not always meant to be broken.
I always understand your work.
But, I barely see you at all, I don’t even know my own boyfriend!
Your fans knows you better than me!
I need to go to fansites to know of your schedules, and not through my boyfriend! "

"Jaki, .. Can we talk about this next time? "

"So you can break my heart again? No thanks, let’s end this problem cleanly."

"Jaki, I am promoting another song soon, I can’t possibly resolve this any soon. I am really tired, I just wanna cuddle you tonight.." he pouted.

"No, seriously Jung Dae Hyun. I am tired. I wanna go back my house tonight. You give me a solution if not I will leave. "

His eyes widen,”Honey… You’re not….. br.eak..ing up…”he gulped before he could finish his sentence.

"I don’t know, you give me a solution."

"YAH! AREN’T YOU RIDICULOUS? BREAKING UP WITH ME JUST BECAUSE I COULDN’T MAKE TIME FOR YOU? DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH I HAD SUFFERED? I HAD TEN HOURS OF STRAIGHT PRACTICE TODAY BUT I HAD TO COME HOME AND FACE THIS SH*T. "

He never once yelled at you before. You were scared, you started crying. 
“That’s what I thought, I am just a burden to you, ” You headed for the door

”BAEK JI YEON, IF You leave, you will not come back”

You gasped, as you turned around to look at his eyes, they never lie, he seemed serious, your heart really broke.
You cannot feel your feet anymore.
You ran off, “I.. am sorry Jaki..”, you whispered to yourself as you ran all the way back to your house.

You stopped at secret place belong to both of you.
You took a stick and starting hitting the metal railings. “JUNG DAE HYUN, YOU PABO!”

*end of flashback*


You sighed as your head hurts from those recalling of painful two years of memories.
These were barely snippets of your pain for two years but it suffice as sufficient reason why your mum didn’t want you to date Daehyun.

You glanced around Daehyun’s room as you gently chuckled at his messy room.
You began to help him to clean up, when you stumbled upon a shoebox underneath the bed.

You opened the shoebox and found many many pieces of letters scrunged up.
You were worried if this was an invasion of privacy but curiousity got the better of you.

You took the nearest to you and opened up. It read: “Dear, Jaki… I am Sorry… "

 


 


Hi lovely readers :) Thank you to all those sweeties who have subscribed to my story! 
*throw hearts~* 

Unfortunately, I have to break this news to you guys that my major exams is starting in less than 50 days >n< 
I know I just started this story but I will be posting less frequently now... 
As a treat! I will upload three more chapters today! 
Please continue to show love for this story even after I'm away~~