Chapter 32

Secret Identity [Hiatus]

Your POV~

"We are very sorry to say, your sister, Minjung, has died."
"Ah, I think you guys must've mistaken something?" I laughed nervously.
"No, Han Minjung died two hours ago at 5pm." the police replied.
"But I just saw her today!" I cried. "She was only a little out of shape, but she was perfectly fine!"
"We're currently investigating this case."
"How could she have died within the two hours I was gone?!"
"We're sorry, but by the time we saw her, she was lying dead on the floor."
"No...." I sobbed. "Thank you, though."

~~~

I sat on the nearest bench, and tears fell uncontrollably. Why must my whole familiy be taken away from me? Did I do something terrible in my previous life that I receive such treatment?

Then, I received another call from my manager asking my whereabouts and when I'll be coming home.  I told him I would be returning soon and continued to sit on the bench for about another ten minutes.  

I never realized how quiet the park was in the evening. Usually, little kids would be running around, chasing each other in their game of tag or climbing the metal bars.  The thought reminded me of when I was little, playing at the park with unnie.  Now, even if I wanted a playmate, it's going to be only by myself.

I walked back to the dorm, and my members were all at the table eating kimbap and soondae guk.  Minwoo beckoned me to sit, and I took a seat next to him.

"I heard from manager-hyung you were at the park," Minwoo spoke. "What were you doing there?"
"Oh, I just wanted to take a walk," I lied. "It feels nice to have some fresh air."
"Hurry up and eat!" Jeongmin urged. "Soondae guk doesn't taste good when it's cold."
"Okay."
"And eat some kimbap, too." Jeongmin placed five pieces of the tasty picnic food onto my plate.
"Thanks."

As I was eating my kimbap, Kwangmin, who was sitting on my left, nudged me, and his eyes seemed as if they were asking me if I was alright.  I gave him a smile to reassure him and placed a piece of kimbap on his plate.  After dinner, he pulled me aside and started questioning me.

"Hey, I know you didn't go to the park just for a walk," Kwangmin said gently. "Looking for evidence?"
"You know me too well," I laughed half-heartedly.
"Is something wrong?" He asked, looking at my eyes to read through them.
"N-no, n-nothing's wrong," I lied. "D-don't stare at me l-like that. It's m-making me uncomfortable."
"Something's wrong," he declared. "Is it about your brother?"

Hearing those words sent a waterfall down my face.  Kwangmin hugged me and patted my back in a comforting manner.  The rest of the members huddled around us, asking me what happened.  As rude as it seemed, I didn't answer and bawled.  

"Hwangie, don't cry!" Jeongmin spoke with a soothing tone. "It'll be alright!"
"Yep, and we'll always be here for you!" Youngmin added.
"Will you tell us what happened?" Donghyun asked. "Tell us what happened, and we'll take on it together as a family."
"Don't cry!" Hyunseong patted my head.

I didn't cry as hard as I was at first, now that I had my members comforting me. My head rested on Kwangmin's chest while I breathed heavily.  Slowly, I stood up properly and thankfully took a napkin Kwangmin held out.  I dried my eyes and took a deep breath, ready to tell them the heartbreaking news.

"M-my b-brother," I started, "h-has been d-declared d-dead."
"SAY WHAT?!"
"WHAT?!"
"IMPOSSIBLE!"
"THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS!"
"WHEN WAS THIS?!"

The members blurted out their shocked thoughts and stared at me like I was lying.

"T-the police g-gave me a call t-today," I continued. "T-they said that h-hyung d-died a little later a-after my v-visit."
"How could a death have taken place in such a short amount of time!" Jeongmin said in disbelief.
"I know, and why in jail where there's so many policemen watching?" Minwoo reasoned.
"Exactly, it all doesn't make sense," Hyunseong said.

My lip quivered, tears threatening to fall again.

"Guys, shh," Kwangmin hushed. 
"N-no, I'm f-fine, Kwangmin," I immediately said. "I'm a bit... o-overwhelmed at how s-so much happened in such s-short time."
"We know it's going to be hard on you, Minhwang," Donghyun understood. "I've seen dramas, and it's usually not a goo-"
"Hyung! Don't stay things like that!" Youngmin hissed. 
"It's okay, Youngmin," I said. "I'm happy that all of you c-care for me."
"Of course we do!" Minwoo blurted. "We're one big family, aren't we?"
"Yep, so you can count on us anytime!" Jeongmin patted a hand on his chest.
"Thanks guys..." I smiled.
"Are you sure you're really okay?" Kwangmin asked. "You don't need to act perfectly fine in front of us. Just be yourself."
"I'm fine," I reassured. "I just need to a-adjust.... w-without.... a f-family."
"Hey, what 'without a family'?" Jeongmin frowned. "We're one BIG family, like the leader and maknae said."
"I know." I smiled a bit.

That night, when we all went back to our respective rooms to retire, I cried into my pillow.  I didn't want to act like a crybaby in front of them, even though Kwangmin told me to act like myself. 

I heard a knock on my door, and a dark figure walked into my room.

"Minyeon?" his soft voice asked.

Quickly wiping my tears, I sat up.

"Hmm?" I replied.
"Have you been crying?"
"N-no, I'm n-not," I said in defense. "Just something in my eye and irritated it."
"Don't lie in front of me."
"I-" Tears began falling once more.

He sat on my bed and hugged me.  I was grateful for the comfort, and I quickly recovered from my tears. 

"You have been crying," he declared.
"What?" I pouted. "It's not the news of the century, is it?"
"And you're even joking now," he laughed.
"I can't do anything about this," I sighed. "I couldn't even save my hyung. What am I supposed to do, Kwangmin?"
"It's true that nothing can be done for now, but I think you should be happy for your brother," he advised.
"I am."

Kwangmin didn't reply but held me tighter.  I heard a few sniffles from him and looked up, seeing him teary eyed.

"Kwangmin?" I asked.
"Yup, I'm fine," he quickly replied.
"No... something's bothering you...?" I guessed. 
"I'm fine."
"What happened?"
"It's okay, I'm just... worried about you. It breaks my heart seeing you in such pain, and you're trying to keep it to yourself."

I grabbed a tissue and wiped his tears. 

"I'm sorry," I whispered, almost inaudible. "I'm sorry..."
"It's not your fault," Kwangmin replied.
"Are you mad at me?"
"I'm not, I'm just upset that you don't tell me how you actually feel. It kinda makes me feel useless being your boyfriend."
"I'm sorry... I won't bottle everything up. You'll be the first one to know everything." I tapped his nose.

Kwangmin gave me a small peck on my cheek.

"Don't sleep too late!" he grinned. "If you need me, just call me."
"Will do, granny!"
"Granny?"
"You keep nagging me, so I decided to call you granny," I chuckled.
"Fine, gramps," Kwangmin playfully retorted. "Good night gramps!"
"Good night, granny!"

He gave me one more hug before leaving and gently closed my door.  I looked at the picture of unnie and me that we took when we knew we were accepted to Starship Entertainment.  Unnie looked so happy, a glow on her face.  I missed her... With that, I closed my eyes, dreaming about playing with unnie.

the next morning...

I woke up, finding myself to have swollen eyes after taking a look at the mirror.  Of course, after all that crying from last night, why would I be able to avoid the after effects of it? I checked the time, realizing I was up at the crack of dawn.  No one would be awake at 5am in the morning... not in this house.

After washing up, I poured myself a nice cool glass of apple juice.  In the middle of drinking it, someone tapped my shoulder, causing me to choke on the juice.

"Oops, sorry!" he squealed.
*cough*
"Are you okay? I didn't meant to scare you." he patted my back.
*cough*
"Jo Kwangmin, you don't go scaring people while they're drinking something," I playfully scolded him.
"Heheh. Your ey-" He quieted, realizing the statement was somewhat rude.
"Oh, this?" I pointed to my eyes. "Don't worry, it's normal for people's eyes to become swollen when they cry before they sleep."
"From last night, huh?" he asked, his voice becoming soft.
"Yeah," I shrugged. "I'll just have to get used to this."
"I'm sorry what happened."
"It's not your fault at all. In fact, I should be thanking you for the comfort last night."

I slung an arm around Kwangmin, but he was a bit too tall for me to be comfortable.  He removed my arm and put his over my own shoulder, grinning with a hint of tease.

"Yah, you don't have to be so obvious," I pouted. "I know I'm short already."
"Hahah, I'm one of the tallest in the group~" Kwangmin sang.
"Meanie, bullying your dongsaeng." I stuck a tongue out at him. "Actually, you're bullying the group maknae."
"Acknowledge me as oppa-hyung?" he grinned.
"Sure."

Slightly pouting, I took some leftover kimbap from the fridge and set them on the table, motioning for him to come over.  He skipped over like a little three year-old and smiled like an idiot.

"Did you brush your teeth yet?" I asked, raising one of my eyebrows.
"Yep," Kwangmin smiled. "See, pearly white!"
"Okay, I see."

I grabbed two plates and two chopsticks and placed them on my seat as well as his.  We ate kimbap for a breakfast while talking about random gibberish.  Then, Kwangmin suggested  we tell each other our own family and stories.

Kwangmin: So, how about you start first?

Me: Okay. Well, as you know, I have a twin older sibling.  Before we auditioned, both of us lived in our own house and went to school together.  My hyung had a job to earn some money for ourselves, but we had a aunt who sent some money every month.  

Kwangmin: What about your parents?

Me: Oh... umma and appa.... they died in a car accident when I just entered highschool. 

Kwangmin: Aww, life must've been so hard for you guys!

Me: I guess so, having to adjust to no parents.  So, after hyung and I auditioned, we were very blessed to have been accepted by Starship.  You guys kept visiting us, and it was amazing how we became an addition.  Our training period was roughly about three months, which seems ridiculous for us to be able to join you guys when other trainees with so much more potential have trained longer than we have.

Kwangmin: That means you guys were exceptionally talented. The agency wouldn't promote you guys if there wasn't any value within your talents.  

Me: *laughs* No, I don't think we were that good. I wonder when I could officially join you guys with the albums. Hyung and I have only come with one song, but it seems as if we're a sub-unit of Boyfriend.

Kwangmin: I know, I wish you guys could join soon! You rapped really well in your song, so maybe you could work alongside with me and Minwoo.

Me: Yep, I'd like to. "Friend" is and will be the last song I'll ever get to sing with my hyung... *sigh*

Kwangmin: Don't give up, you've still got us.

Me: Thanks a lot, I feel really blessed to have you guys as my friends.  Anyways, tell me about your life.

Kwangmin: Well, obviously, Youngmin is my twin hyung, and I have another younger brother in school.  He's very cute and good-looking, I must say. *laughs*  Oh, many people say that my brother and I look like Kim Hyun Joong, his dopplegangers.

Me: Nice way to compliment yourself, hahah.

Kwangmin: Yup. 

Me: You rap really well... I've always admired your talent and passion for it ever since you guys debut, and you've started writing the rap lyrics to some of the songs in your album.  Very amazing, I must say.

Kwangmin: Nah, there's probably a whole bunch of other rappers more talented, more experienced than I.  My skills are up to a certain limit.

Me: Just as long as you have the passion, you can go pass your limits.

Kwangmin: And same to you, keep the fighting spirit and do your best. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How do you guys like the bonding time with Kwangmin? xP I thought maybe "you" should have a little talk with "your boyfriend."  Anyways, thank you so much for the support you guys have given me! I will do my best as an author, to write better and tell a good story.  :)

And I'm so sorry for neglecting the other members! ><'' This... is going to be a [You x Kwangmin] fancfic. :)