Christmas Special

Spring and Fall

The digital alarm clock beeped loudly, echoing through the bedroom. You lazily pressed the button on top of the alarm clock before snuggling closer to your husband, your eyes still closed. You pulled the covers closer to you, enjoying its warmth. It was cold outside, and you don’t feel like waking up. You felt someone leaving a kiss on your forehead, and your eyes fluttered open.

Changjo was smiling down at you as he caressed your cheek, admiring the beauty in front of him. You smiled back at him before shutting your eyes again, attempting to sleep. “Ah,” Changjo whispered, “my baby is sleepy. It’s okay, Christmas is tomorrow anyway, jagiya”. Changjo then shut his eyes and wanted to sleep, but your eyes shot open. You quickly sat up and grabbed the digital clock. It was already 8am. You put the clock back to its place and turned to Changjo.

“Changjo, are we just going to sleep today? Get up!” you said as you shook him. He groaned and pulled the covers over his head, pretending to not hear you. You frowned, “Yahh, wake upp!” you shook him more. Changjo quickly pushed the covers away and sat up, giving you his usual pissed face. “Fine, but I want a morning kiss today.” He said, closing his eyes as he waited for you to take action. You held down a laugh as you leaned closer to his face. You quickly left a peck on his cheek, causing him to open his eyes quickly. You wanted to quickly get up but he was quicker, as he pinned you on the bed and tickled your sides. You laughed out loud, unable to handle the tickles.

After a while, he finally stopped and looked at you. He smiled, thinking how cute you were when you laughed. You on the other hand, calmed yourself down from all the laughing and pushed him aside to get out of bed. “Aren’t we supposed to go to omma’s home today? We’re staying there till the new year, and there’s a family gathering tonight too. And you haven’t packed at all...” you said, crossing your arms. Changjo looked up at you, “I got home late yesterday and I didn’t have time to pack. You know right? And I’m so dead tired…”. You sighed. Changjo had been working so much lately, and you don’t want him to get more stressful than he already does. There’s no use getting mad at him anyway.

“Okay,” you said, “so do you want to go back to sleep while I prepare breakfast? But when I come back upstairs, I want you to go have a shower”. Changjo smiled, “Ahh, this is why I love my jagi~ But never mind, I wanna have a shower together!”. Your eyes widen at his rare request. Although you had been married for almost a year, you had only showered with him several times because he was always busy and you were always shy. Before you could react, he stood up and pulled you with him into the bathroom.

After having a shower together, the both of you made normal pancakes as a quick breakfast. You then helped Changjo packed his clothes. To your annoyance, Changjo’s sense of fashion was way better than yours. He even told you to take out some clothes from your own bag and replace them with the ones he picked. You of course, wouldn’t care. You didn’t do what he said, and he shrugged it off. The both of you are hard-headed anyways, and it’ll stay like that forever.

You then helped Changjo to load the boot of the car with the luggage. From your point of thinking, the amount of clothes the two of you brought was as if you’re going to stay there forever. Besides, Changjo doesn’t always get to have a day off. “Sorry that we had to buy presents today, although I know that you were really tired…” you said apologetically as your husband closed the boot. He looked over to you, and chuckled. “It’s fine jagiya, it’s been a while since we went shopping together anyways.” He said with a warm smile. You smiled back at him, and the both of you then got into the car.

As Changjo’s eyes were glued on the road in front of him, you were busy surfing the net on your phone. Since it’ll be your first Christmas with the Choi’s family, you were wondering what you should get for some of them. The ride was quiet, with only sounds of songs coming from the radio in the car. Once in a while, he would glance at you and smiled when he saw your concentrated face, deep in thought.

Arriving at the mall, you quickly got out of the car excitedly after Changjo parked the car. Although the two of you were living the wealthy life, buying stuff from regular-priced malls rather than luxurious ones was the thing that the both of you had agreed. The mall was nicely decorated with some Christmas decorations, although not as much.

Changjo held your hand as the two of you walked in the mall, glancing at the shop displays as you went by. Honestly, you weren’t sure of what to get for his family. You stopped by some shops, looking at handbags, perfumes and you even entered an antique house decoration shop. You were pretty excited and serious at picking the gifts, to the point that you were somehow ignoring your husband. He was quiet most of the time, nodding his head when you asked him for opinions. Truth is, he was exhausted. He just wanted to go home and rest, but he didn’t want to bother your excitement.

After having bought a lot of wrapped presents and loaded them in the backseat of the car, you realized that it was just in time for lunch. You weren’t hungry, but you feel like eating some sweet food. You stopped Changjo from getting in his driver seat, and he looked at you with confusion. “Let’s get something to eat!” you smiled, pulling his hand on the cold pathway. Although he was surprised, he quickly locked the car and quietly followed you, as you led him to a café nearby. It was cold, but the atmosphere in the café was really warm. There weren’t many people there, too.

The two of you chose to seat at the table next to the window. Changjo stood up and went to the counter to order, and you played with your phone in idle. After a few minutes, Changjo came with the tray of your favourite strawberry milk, a strawberry shortcake and a drink for himself. You smiled and thanked him. It was convenient, since he knew what you always orders, he wouldn’t have to ask you twice of what you want.

You happily used a fork to cut the shortcake before shoving it in your mouth, savouring its taste. Changjo smiled at you, but it came with a contented sigh. After chewing your cake and swallowing it, you frowned at him. “Why are you not eating?” you asked. He shook his head, “It’s okay. I love seeing you eat”. You sensed the exhaustion in his voice, and it almost brought your mood down.

You put the fork down, lowering your head. “I know you’re tired… I shouldn’t have asked you to buy presents with me today” you said apologetically, and Changjo’s eyes widen at your statement. “____-ah… Please… It’s true that I’m tired but spending time with you like this is a rare opportunity!” he said with a happy expression. He didn’t want you to feel bad. You looked up at him and almost pouted. “You could have told me that you’re tired. Then I won’t ask you to come with me.” He chuckled and said, “No way. The only one who could go shopping for Christmas with you is me, and me only, arraso?”. You rolled your eyes and laughed. The both of you then spent the time at the café, teasing each other and laughing it off.  

It was 3pm, and the two of you are finally on your way to Chuncheon, where Changjo’s family home was. You looked out at the window, staring into the blue sky and the snowy scenery. You played with your fingers, feeling rather nervous. A family gathering like these were always making you nervous, since you were always afraid of how the aunts and uncles would react when they see you. Changjo had told you countless times that his family likes you, but you still weren’t really sure of the fact.

Suddenly you felt a warm hand touching yours, and you quickly turned your head at Changjo. His eyes were on the road in front of him, but his lips formed into a warm, ensuring smile. “Jagiya , your hands are cold. Are you nervous again?” he asked. You sighed, “Nae…”. “I told you a lot of times already, right?” he asked, and you nodded. “Yeah, that they like me…” you muttered. He held your hand tightly and glanced at you. “It’s okay if you don’t believe it. At least the nearest people, like my mom and noona, loves you. And I love you, more than them. Don’t worry!” he ensured, and you smiled at his words.

“But I’m sorry, jagiya…” he continued, and you shot him a confused look. “Why are you apologizing?” you asked. Changjo sighed, “It’s our first Christmas as a married couple, but we’ll celebrating at my home instead. I wish I could bring you for a vacation…”. “Are you kidding me? This is already fine! If you want to go for a vacation, then let’s go next year!” you said with a happy smile, and he smiled back as he glanced at you. Honestly, you were more than happy. You have no more family to celebrate or depend on, but Changjo had opened up a new world of families for you. You were so grateful.

After a while, you finally arrived at the said place. To your amazement, the Choi’s family house was actually a huge one, almost like a mansion. You were greeted warmly by Changjo’s mom, and you had a lot of things to tell to her. The maids of the house helped bringing your luggage and shopping bags to the room upstairs, while Changjo was off somewhere, maybe to meet his old friends. You helped his mom in the kitchen, since she said she always cook herself for family gatherings. Yoomi unnie was there too, and you had a wonderful time, cooking and sharing stories together.

Time flies, and the sun finally sets. Although it was called ‘family gathering’, it’s more like a Christmas party with relatives a guests. Changjo also invited his friends from around the neighbourhood. You decided to wear an appropriate dress, and not too revealing. You also styled your hair lightly, which Chango complimented by having a jaw-dropped moment which made you laugh

The both of you then joined everyone in the hall, greeting every relatives you came across. As you did so, Changjo would whisper to you who the relative was, like which part of cousin she or he was from. There’s even families from Yoomi unnie’s husband side (if that makes any sense). You bowed to almost everyone, and your back was starting to hurt. “Seriously, I didn’t think that you would have this much of relatives” you said playfully as you nudged his arm, and he laughed it off.

You felt like someone was looking at the both of you from afar, so you looked over to the person. It was a teenage girl, probably in her last year in high school. She was whispering to her friend who she brought along, and you smiled at them nonetheless. They stepped near you, and you prepared yourself for whatever question they’ll throw at you.

“Unnie, how come you didn’t call Changjo oppa as oppa?” she asked. You assumed that she must be Changjo’s faraway cousin. He was busy talking with someone else beside you, and you don’t feel like bothering him. “Well,” you said, “because I’m older than him by a few months?”. “So… you guys dated since high school?” she asked again, and you smiled. “Yes, you could say that”. Well, it’s true although there is a twist of arranged marriage, where you decided to not tell them. The two girls squealed happily, “I wanna marry my boyfriend too!”. “Oh, then don’t let him go no matter what, okay?” you encouraged them, and they nodded in agreement. The two girls then walked away, chatting happily. Changjo actually noticed this, but he didn’t want to interrupt how happy you were.

Not long after, an aunt of Changjo came. “She is omma’s little sister, but she has a sharp tongue” he whispered to you, and you nodded. You bowed to her as she came near, and Changjo introduced the two of you. You were sure that this aunt didn’t come to your wedding day, because you had never seen her.

“So this is your wife, Jonghyun? She’s quite plain…” she said as she eyed you up and down, and your eyes widen at her words. You can’t fight back, so you smiled in reply. “Auntie, it’s not all about looks right?” Changjo said as he laughed, trying to ease the atmosphere. He wanted to appear nice too, although he was mad because someone had just insulted the person he loves.

“Still, I think my friend’s daughter is prettier than him. Where’s your parents?” she asked. “They had passed away.” You answered calmly, a smile plastered on your face. “Ah, well take good care of Jonghyun here. I hope it’s not all about money” she said leisurely and slowly walked away, leaving you speechless. You bit your bottom lip, feeling both mad and insulted. Changjo noticed you like this, and he entwined his fingers on yours. “Please don’t take her words to heart…” he whispered. You pulled your hand away gently and excused yourself, quickly making your way to the washroom. He sighed, knowing that you were hurt.

After a few minutes, you came back from the washroom and stood beside Changjo, not saying anything. He noticed you, and quickly put his arm around your waist. He pulled you close and left a kiss on your forehead, and you smiled. You felt better that at least, he appreciates you so much. The party then went by without much happening, and when the clock struck 12, everyone raised their cups and wished each other a merry Christmas. Some more times passed, and some relatives decided to go home. Some were staying at the mansion, though. The presents for them were still kept, because you planned on giving to them at morning. The party then came to an end, and you and Changjo made your ways upstairs.

It was probably 2am. You were standing at the veranda in your pyjamas, staring at the starry night sky. The number of stars here were much more than of Seoul, the busy city. You sighed, feeling tired for the long day. Out of a sudden, you felt a pair of arms wrapping around your waist from behind, pulling you close. You smiled, knowing that it was your husband’s warm embrace. He rested his chin on your shoulder, and you could feel his breathe against your skin.

“Jagiya, it’s been a looong day, wasn’t it?” he asked, his voice low and deep. You let out a sigh, “Yes it is. But I’m glad it’s over…”. You squirmed out of his grip and turned around to look at him. Changjo was wearing his usual pyjama pants with a printed t-shirt on. He looked down at you with such gentle eyes. The both of you stared into each other’s eyes for a few seconds.

“Jagiya,” Changjo spoke, “close your eyes for a bit”. You tilted your head in confusion, before shutting your eyes tight. You knew that he was going to give you a present, so you waited excitedly. He took your hands and kissed them, sending a message that you were really precious to him. You felt something slid on one of your fingers, and after a while, he told you to open your eyes.

You opened your eyes and looked at your finger. There, placed comfortably on your finger was a diamond ring, shaped like a crown. It sparkled a bit under the moonlit, and your mouth hanged open slightly, trying to process how pretty the gift was. You knew that this ring was the one you came across when you were surfing the internet the other day, and you also knew how expensive it was.

You looked up at the smiling Changjo. “C-Changjo, isn’t this expensive? And how did you know I liked this? And-“ your words were cut off when he pressed his lips against yours, shoosh-ing you from muttering any more words. He then pulled back slightly, looking deep into your eyes. “My love for you is nothing compared to this ring. And I want you to know, that you, my dear jagiya, is the queen to my heart. Merry Christmas, ____.” he said gently, almost sounding like a whisper. Though it was somehow cheesy, you were so touched. You quickly hugged him and buried your face on his clothed chest, and he hugged you back, caressing your hair.

After a few moments, you let him go. You looked excitedly at the ring on your finger, and Changjo suddenly cleared his throat. “What about my present?” he asked like an innocent child. You giggled, “I don’t have anything much for you, Changjo. But I’m willing to say that, I finally decided…” you paused, and saw that he was waiting with anticipation. “I decided,” you said, “that I’m going to work in your company as your secretary. It’s nothing much but-“ again, you were cut off when he pulled you into a tight hug. He was so happy that you decided to work with him, and the both of you could spend much more time together. There were no words to describe how happy you two were.

“Alright then, miss secretary.” He said as he released you from the hug. “I love you” he whispered, leaning closer to you. “I love you too, oppa.. Merry Christmas..” you finally said. The night was sealed with another kiss, with the sparkling stars in the sky and the beautiful moonlight, giving its blessing for two humans to be together for the rest of their life.

END

**************************************

Surprise!!! Hehehehe Happy Holidays everyone, and Merry Christmas for those celebrating it :) I don't celebrate it but well I just feel like giving up a 'present' for my loyal readers and subscribers! Thank you so much guys, really. I can't thank you guys enough ;;;; So here you go, a Christmas special!

Sorry if it lacks somehow. And yes I know Changjo is a buddha and he doesn't celebrate Christmas, but well it's fine right? 

I might do a sequel next year, but not anytime soon. So, enjoy your holidays guys and stay warm! Thank you again and byeee~