Day 4- Obligation

To Death, my friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Day 4  - Obligation

 

“I just had a weird feeling yesterday. I got a small shock.”

 

“Did you do anything weird, you don’t usually do?” She sipped the blue coloured drink as she waited for her breakfast to come.

 

“I called her Jupal, because I felt like doing so. It felt like something I would always call her, something I have always done, as if I knew her a long time ago.”

 

“Well maybe you did always call her like that.”

 

“What are you talking about? Nana, are you okay?”

 

“Yeah, I’m perfectly fine…” I’m just making sure you’re going to be who you were, Yujin… thought Nana as she smiled to herself. She was on the right way, and this story was going to end well.

 

“What have you been up to lately?” Yujin asked to change the subject as she picked up a piece of bread made with different herbs.

 

“Oh, you know, the usual. Taking souls and stuff. We are Friday, right? Why aren’t you with her?”

 

“She starts working early in the morning. Doing the job of a mortal. She works around 11pm only on her Thursdays, so that’s why I came around noon yesterday. Sorry about that, Nana.”

 

“I don’t mind it Yujin. I’m sorry to say this myself, but I didn’t even notice you weren’t at home in the morning and at night two days ago. I’ve been mostly outside home anyway. Been busy lately, doing some brain work.”

 

“Don’t tire out yourself Nana. The only functioning thing in your body is your brain made of particles and you’re trying to kill the thing.”

 

Nana laughed at her remark, “Hey, humans are always at one finger to kill their brains, yet they’re perfectly standing straight.”

 

“Maybe they’re standing straight, but they get those white and blue pills to keep smiling… and be happy.” Happy, happiness… such a strange word to come out of Yujin’s mouth.

 

“Unfortunately, humans are such weird living things… They’re so fragile even when they act up all tough.” Nana sighed as she remembered how sad it was to confront Nicole. She soon smiled when an idea came up to her. “You want to taste this thing happiness?”

 

“How do you even want us, creatures, to even have this feeling, or should I say, these feelings that we were banned from, so we could do our jobs without feeling this thing called Pity.”

 

Nana shook her head as she patted Yujin’s head. “All these observations on the human world for years… Happiness seems to be such a great thing. I can feel it when I have this fake heart on, but when it’s off, I don’t even miss it because I can’t. That is why I’m trying to make you slowly start to feel these good things because you can’t take a fake heart; I want you to taste it.”

 

“Nana… don’t waste your time on that.”

 

“I am not; it’s just … some kind of repaying you for all you did until today.”  I have to do this, like it or not. This is for your own good and for the one who loved you, more like, everyone that loved you and were able to live on because of you.

 

“You don’t have to, and I will always be by your side, why are you talking like I’m going to die tomorrow, first thing in the morning? I don’t need to be human, I don’t want to be human, why should I be human when I never was human and I was born as one of you, even though I can’t do what all normal dark creatures do? I might be like the failure kid between all of us, but I just want to continue my life as the death messenger I always was. As soon as I will finish this job that will take much more time than the usual ones, I will be back to my life.”

 

Wow, she’s talking much more than before as soon as she got her first heart piece, hah. Now that’s your first step to your normal self. Ah, I just noticed that she has all her nose back. So her body and her face is going to completely turn back to normal? Is that an effect of having a heart piece? thought Nana.

 

“Tell me, Nana. Why did you suddenly become like this when I first got this job? Is there something I don’t-?” Yujin suddenly got cut as Nana stood up.

 

“Ah, will you look at this; I’ve got a sudden job.” Her pet that was by her side the whole time and its eyes had started flashing. The messengers jobs always came at random moments, since the Light creatures only had and gave the information of a soon to die victim about 4 minutes to 3 hours before they died. “Now, now, Yujin, you shall go and stay with that mortal unless I call you back here, okay? I will send a yellow bird on the human’s window when I want you back. Now see you.” She patted her lips with a napkin and walked quickly out of the restaurant.

 

 

 

Nana made her scythe dissolve into black particles while her gem was transforming back into her pet. “Ah, I hope I don’t have other jobs today.”

 

She walked into her room to only find out that Yujin had really gone to the human girl. Good girl, she thought. Now she could calmly pursue her mission as she wanted. Up until now, she had understood two things, these heart pieces needed to be stuck back together. And for that, she needed to find the people she had been in contact with in her for 19 years. That did sound complicated. She took out a parchment paper and a red feather pen, accompanied with a small glass container of a thick liquid similar to squid ink, except it didn’t came from oil but a material hard like rock that glistened in the dark. She started writing words on it.

 

Lee Jooyeon -->(From childhood to 2007) Kim Yujin, Kim Jungah --> (From 1999 to 2002 for the real) Park Jiyoung (doesn’t exist anymore)

Kim Jungah --> (From 2002 till now) Kahi/Death/Mom *She doesn’t know it’s Death --> Deceived till now

Kim Jungah & Kim Yujin --> Their parents.

Kim Yujin MIGHT has met with --> Jooyeon’s parents. (At childhood, yes. Divorced. Later, unknown.)

Nicole --> (In beginning of 2007, kept contac

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter