Fragments of a Pocket Watch

To Death, my friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

***

-- (Flashback)

A little girl stood by her doorsteps as she peeked onto their neighbour. Their neighbour was moving out, so she watched them transport their furniture one by one into their SUV car’s back. They were attaching some of them onto their roof. The rest of their stuff was going to be picked up later with the help of other friends. They had a little girl too, and she didn’t stop jumping around and helping her parents. She acted all tough and she would puff out her cheeks as she swiped the sweat from her forehead.

She looked right and left sometimes while the other girl stayed hidden behind her doorsteps. She had crouched down as she hugged her knees. Her best friend was going away from her and she didn’t want to see her go. The other one had enough of looking around as she frowned. She stormed into her household to get her pink Hello Kitty backpack. She started shuffling in it as she looked hard for something. Her fingers finally brushed a cold object and she suddenly beamed when she got hold of it. She ran back outside with her short black hair jumping up and down as she walked down the stairs. She walked toward the neighbour’s doorstep and peeked behind it. She saw a girl hugging her knees with a sad look on her face. She smirked as she let the metal object fall in front of her as she held it by its chain.

When she got no response, she went to sit in front of her instead with a bored expression. The younger one didn’t react as she looked the ground. She frowned as she saw her like this, so she forcefully moved her face to look at her.

“Yuyu, stop making this face.” She took her hand and opened her palm, placing the object in her hand. “Look, this is my gift for you okay?” She smiled as the younger one looked the object.

It was a pocket watch, an old one, with the design containing stars and swirling lines. She opened it and saw the clock ticking while the other side, where there usually was a picture, contained a folded piece of paper attached to it. She suddenly hugged her friend as she wanted to cry but her friend hold her back by her shoulders and made her look into her eyes.

“Yuyu, tell me, how old are we?”

“Joo is six and I am five.”

“Good! Now you see this watch?” She nodded. “Well, it’s our friendship thing. We’ll find each other with this in ten years!”

Yujin furrowed her eyebrows. “How are you going to find me with this?”

Jooyeon took a moment to think and suddenly started making weird faces, while putting her fingers on her head and wiggling them. “I have super powers like an alien because I come from Mars! My powers will make me find you.”

She chuckled as she saw the funny gestures. “Liar, you’re not from Mars! Instead I will do as I promised; I will grow reaaaally tall and you’ll find me easily!”

It was Jooyeon’s time to giggle as she pat her head. “You’re shorter than me, how will you even be bigger, huh? I am your unnie and I’ll always be taller than you.” She stood proudly with her fists on her hips.

The latter also stood up and pouted with her arms on her chest. “Fine! We’ll see that!”

Jooyeon suddenly pulled her into a hug as she couldn’t help but laugh at the situation. Yujin also gave up the act and begin laughing with her. Jooyeon was happy to see her friend smiling instead of crying when she was going to go away. Hand into hand, they walked toward her car. A loud shout started coming from Yujin’s house. They looked back to see a girl aged around ten running with her hair all mixed up. She held her falling pyjamas as she shouted “Jinnie! Why didn’t you wake me up! Where’s Joo?!”

She saw them standing next to each other and stopped just behind them. With her lips pursued and her arms over her chest, she acted an angry face.

“You short girls dared go like this without me?”

Jungah was the toughest girl from this district. She always had bruises and scratches over her knees and her elbows. Although she was a really fun girl to hang out, she never made boredom enter into the game when she was here. Boredom was never welcomed. She was also a big eater. Jooyeon believed that her toughness came from all the food she ate, so she had made it a resolution to become like her idol, Kim Jungah from the next door.

“A-ah, sorry chief!” She took a straight stance with her right hand on her forehead, as if saluting in the army. “I would like to say that I now have to go and I’m sorry to not have informed you beforehand.” She bowed 90 degrees, keeping her seriousness. Yujin, next to her, was holding her laugh with her hand over .

Jungah could only sigh and pat her head. “Thank you for being here and being my assistant captain. You now have my permission to go.” She hugged her tightly as she didn’t let her breathe.

“I wish I could have stayed by your side and continue to punish the evil kids with my pranks. I shall continue this job in my new place.”

Jungah could only sniff and keep her composure as she sends her friend off. She grabs her sister near her as they wave to the girl who was sticking her nose onto the back glass of her car.

“I’m so proud of you…”

-- (Flashback)

The bell rang throughout the whole school, announcing it was time for recess. The students from class 114 quickly got up as they took their books to walk to their lockers. The class suddenly became empty with everyone going either to the cafeteria or outside. Unlike usual, Jooyeon stayed in her seat by the window. She sighed as she looked the leaves falling outside, with her palm under her chin. The closed door suddenly opened, revealing a younger girl with her height taller than her. She smiled as she saw her entering toward the teacher’s desk.

Jooyeon got up with her books in hands and went towards her, placing her prepared books over the teacher’s desk. The other one leaned against the wooden desk while the older one went in front of the black board. Yujin had received her letter and pointed herself in front of her as she was expecting. Jooyeon looked her from head to toe and furrowed her eyebrows.

“Meh… I hate the fact that you’re taller than me. Why did you grow up so much?”

She looked away as she arranged her bangs to the side. She got hold of a white chalk and started throwing in the air to only catch it back.

“Hehe… wasn’t it a promise? I’m glad that, even if it was after 10 years just like you had said, I transferred into this place.”

“Well, well… I have something to tell ya.”

“Hmmm? What is it? A secret you never told anyone, not even your plushies?” She faked a shocked face with her hand over .

Jooyeon could only glare at her. “Ya! Oh you know what, forget it.” She’s about to walk past her but a hand on her wrist stops her.

“Joo… I’m sorry, please do continue. Won’t happen again, my ears are yours.”

She arched her eyebrow as a thought passed her mind. With her wrist still held tightly, she advances herself on her, her lips an inch away from her ears. “Is this what you mean by me owing your ears?” She whispered seductively, her hot breath tickling her.

Yujin’s face got bright red as she moved her head backwards as she held her touched ear with her free hand. She was kind of used to her weird tactics that would make her feel funny. But it was Jooyeon after all, a good ol’ dork.  She stayed there, looking in her eyes for a good minute before Jooyeon broke into a laugh.

“I’m kidding. Or wait, no… I’m serious… Just look, I’m not too sure of this but hey! Risks always need to be taken in life.” She walked back to the board as she took back her piece of white chalk.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter