Day 14- Hospital

To Death, my friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 15

Day 14- Hospital (Monday Afternoon)

 

---

 

Her eyes wandered over the door, her hand uncertain to open the door she was gripping on. The doctor’s and the nurse’s footsteps were fading away at her left and she was still rooted in her place.

 

Why should I worry? The storm has already passed, no?

 

She placed her free hand on her chest and noticed she was missing her heartbeats. With a snap of fingers, she felt a slow paced beat in her ribcage. Her hand finally slid the door and she immediately locked her eyes with the lowered head of the woman who was sitting on the hospital bed.

 

“Unnie, are you okay? What did the doctor say?” Nana stood by the door as Jungah looked over her.

 

“Come and sit here.” She motioned her to the single sofa that was at her bed’s foot.

 

Dragging her feet across the room while feeling the gaze of Jungah on her made her feel stressful, Maybe I should remove it, after all, she thought as she subtly snapped her fingers under her trench coat. She sat on the sofa and looked with almost grey eyes the woman at the opposite side.

 

“The doctor just confirmed me something I was suspecting…” She arranged the pleads of her white sheets under her arms that were perfectly put over her waist, giving her the resemblance of a doll, “… I developed a small tumor almost a year ago. A benign lung tumor.” She paused and smiled because Nana was still trying to work the info out in her mind, “Nana, I have lung cancer where the tumor is in no state of being recovered.”

 

Nana’s mouth hung agape. She thought she might have heard wrong so she got up to walk to the small window close to her. She opened it in one shot, getting slapped by a cold wind. She shut close her eyes, shaking her head. Her hands holding as a support by the window while the window slid a little bit, she turned her head to face Jungah who still didn’t have a glint of sadness in her eyes.

 

“Nana, do you know why I believe your story? It’s because nothing started to make sense as I thought with this head that always went for a simple logic. Therefore, when I knew I wasn’t going to stay long, I believed I was going insane, so I believed anything and accepted everything. As I think of it, believing everything isn’t completely wrong; it clears up some stuff even in the most surreal way. I feel like I’m ready to take anything in just to feel better about some stuff. I like it better when someone talks to me in an honest way, being enveloped in so called ‘honesty’ is so much better, even if the person has to lie to make themselves feels honest. That should be wrong actually… that’s why I assume I’m going crazy.”

 

“But I’m here now, I told you the truth, I will help you understand everything even if it’s too late… and there’s Kahi… oh! Should I tell her about your stay here?” Nana hurried next to the phone on the stand.

 

Jungah stopped her by suddenly getting hold of her arm. “Why would you go and call someone that has died a long time ago, hm?” She looked away, as if she tried to hide her eyes with her hair.

 

Nana held the hand that was on her arm and took it in her hands as she soothed it. She heard a sniff and embraced Jungah, letting her set her head upon her shoulder. Nana knew the effects of that shocking confession weren’t going to wash away easily. “I’m sorry.”

 

Meanwhile, a shadow flickered outside the window to disappear.

 

--

 

“Would you like some tea?” asked six pretty girls asked Nana as she came back with two cups of warm drink and brown paper bag.

 

“If it tastes well with what you have in that brown bag, then why not.” She grinned as she tapped playfully her stomach.

 

Nana smirked at Ju

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter