Day 3- First step

To Death, my friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

In the dark and light realm, there was also a miniature kind of species. A pair of these species, one from the light and another one from the dark, would be born whenever a baby human came in contact with the air on earth. This pair would stay by the side of the human and would die when the human gave its last breath. These two were the voice of the subconscious. The human would hear them as if two people lived inside it. They would help it make decisions every second by either saying “Yes” or “No”. The choice was in the human’s hands, having the liberty to listen to the one who seemed the most tempting.

 

The fresh air in the morning felt refreshing as it slid between her hair’s strings. She stood on the edge of the building, appreciating the view one last time. She opened her arms and closed her eyes, breathing in the cold air. She felt chills in her back and dropped her head, opening back her eyes. She saw a blue van passing by, 500 meters under her feet. There was also a few people passing by, one of them walking quickly with a loaf of bread, still new from the bakery at the end of the street who opened its business early in the morning. She searched into her pockets until she brushed a metal object with her fingers. A smile crept on her face as she brought it to view. She brushed it with her thumb, watching the crystal bead glistening under the white sky. She held it tight in her hand, turning her knuckles almost white.

Nicole lifted a foot and posed it on the short cement wall around the building’s rooftop. The snow’s crushing noise could be heard as she put her other foot, putting on all her weight. She pursued her lips as she watched the Eiffel Tower standing greatly far away from her. She was certain of what she was doing but a part of her still resisted to her idea.

Nicole, don’t do it, you have someone now.

Nicole, do it, listen to me. He will disappear like the rest.

You’ll make everyone feel guilty. Don’t.

Wouldn’t that be better? They will finally understand your value. They will regret it.

She tightly shut her eyes, feeling her legs tremble under the cold blanket of air surrounding her. She slowly turned around, one foot at a time, giving her back to the tower. She once again opened her arms. She let her body feel the sliding of the air as she remembered him one last time.

She had finally given in to the temptation.

 

Last night, just after she had bid farewell to Nicole, Nana had went to accomplish six other soul catching jobs around the globe. Tired from the massive thinking she had done, she had gone early to her bed, not even noticing Yujin missing. She didn’t notice her this morning either, as she was suddenly woken up in the early hours by her pet.

As she rubbed her eyes, still sleepy, she tried to decipher what was written on her pet’s eyes. Still having a blurry vision, she threw her pet against the wall in frustration.

“Agh! Can’t you wait for me to have a better vision?”

She tightly shut her eyes and blinked a few times before signalling her pet to come back with a finger motion. It slowly approached her and sat on her thigh with two little legs coming out of its bottom. It looked cuter when it also swung it back and forth. It started passing the message on the holes.

Nana mumbled softly as she read it. “Job… France… Two… East and West… Brazil… Siberia…”

She lifted up her weightless and transformed in her half human form, taking her cape and her trademark red scythe with her. She snapped her fingers, a signal for her pet to transform into the gem that ornamented her thick scythe. Black particles danced around her legs to finally envelope her fully, making her teleport to the human world for her first job of the day in France.

 

Nana walked casually around the streets, invisible to the human eye. Her scythe over her shoulder, she suddenly remembered she forgot to ask something. What’s the name of the victim? She looked back as she heard a scream of a woman. She started running to the source as it could be her soul to catch. The scream could come from any situation, from a bank robbery with gunned thieves to a cornered girl in a dark alley. Or it could also possibly be…

She found herself in front of a tall building and there was already a little group formed in front of it, looking up. Nana looked up also, trying to seize the person’s face. Her eyes grew big as she recognized the girl on the roof. She stretched her arm in the air, toward the girl as if it could save her.

“NICOLEE!!” She shouted, letting only the girl hear her.

Nicole had already set foot on the air as she heard someone call her name from under. As she fell down, she saw, from what could be described from a human’s point of view, a monster with a few human characteristics. She felt familiar to the face’s features. She smiled sadly as she touched close to the floor.

In between the screaming, Nana could only whisper “…but I became your friend.”  Not having the human emotions to cry. Th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter