Day 22- Side-Kick

To Death, my friend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 23

Day 22: Side-kick (Tuesday)

 

--

 

There was a light snoring in the room as the morning’s lights pierced into the room by the window’s stores. While the snoring continued, a grunt came from the girl who, from the previous night, lied half on the ground, half on the couch with much difficulty, as her eyes opened slowly, adjusting at the brightness of the white room.

 

She roamed her eyes onto the one that was sleeping soundly in the white sheets. Trying to get up, she mistakenly made a wrong move, causing her to fall face first on the floor. With a growl, she got up as she massaged her aching places. She moved into the bathroom to wash her face.

 

There were many papers scattered on the desk next to the hospital bed of Jungah. Some of them contained childish sketches about the whole “convince the dad to remember” plan they drawn last night. Nana pursued her lips; she was to put the plan to work today, but she had something else on mind to do in this free time. She gave one last look at Jungah before walking to the window to disappear somewhere else.

 

--

 

Zelo followed Nana ever since he was put the task on. He had been an ear witness to all the conversation she had with the older woman in the hospital. Now he was about to follow her onto her next destination as she jumped out of the window, the BOO.

 

--

 

The conductor of the DOP was surprised to see Nana after so much time. He didn’t bother asking anything to her as he just asked for the name she was looking for.

 

“Jinah is the name.”

 

He nodded and gave her the coordinates attached to the name. Nana followed inside the giant library, looking out for the specific memory book.

 

After passing a set of rows, she entered one of them, now being completely surrounded by books. The size of this department never failed to amaze her. Looking at one side, you would believe you aren’t able to see the end of it, as if it was an infinity of past events.

 

She levitated to the second down of the highest place to pick her book from up high. She sat with crossed legs on the air as she flipped open the book. She was reading the first lines when she felt a presence.

 

--

 

Subtly entering from behind, Zelo just watched Nana go further into the library while he hid behind one of the staircases close to the entrance. When she had turned into one of the rows, he went closer and stopped three rows behind her, hiding behind the shadows of the books.

 

As he peeked in between the thin space formed by two books, he suddenly felt an arm around his neck. He was completely immobilized to turn his head so he only lifted his hands in the air.

 

“Why, hello there, Noodle head,” whispered nana, making reference to the blonde curly hair he had.

 

“I’m innocent, I swear, I can explain.”

 

“Oh, by chance, Mr. Spy is innocent today after being ordered around by the evil man till now.”

 

“Nana, I have been ordered to help you till the end a day ago. Death doesn’t want to see me until I finish helping you.”

 

“You’re funny if you think I am naïve.” She tightened the grip around his neck, making him choke.

 

“I-I can prove it. Just lift up my shirt and look at my back.”

 

Nana did as told with her free hand and frowned at the sight. “Noodle head… there’s a spiked chain around your back bone…”

 

“I have been told that its grip will tighten until it breaks the bone the moment I set foot in the main monitoring room of Death.”

 

Nana released Zelo and took his hand instead, guiding him out of the library. “Fine, then let’s get onto the first mission after I introduce you, our newest ally, to Jungah unnie.”

 

The innocent idiot doesn’t know he’s cursed to die the moment he finishes helping me… I need to use his help as much as I can since Death could kill him anytime and not the way he has been lied.

 

--

 

 “… and that’s about it,” finished Nana as she stood with Zelo next to her at the bed’s foot.

 

“Are you sure we can trust him, isn’t he still on her side?” Jungah narrowed her eyes, not ready to be fooled once again.

 

“Well it seems mom wants to send us a last gift… I will explain later unnie.” Jungah only nodded, since she would receive explanations later. “For now, I think I have a better task for you Zelo. It will help us advance quicker in this quest for lost memories.

 

“I’m listening.”

 

“Look, me and unnie have to get the memories of her dad today, okay? Meanwhile, you’ll have to stick with Yu and Jooyeon until further notice.  Your job, right now, is to go to that condo, slip into the room and whisper invisibly to Yu that it’s her time to help. After that, I don’t know how much time it will take you, but you need to make Jooyeon write two letters to each parent. I’ll send my pet when needed.”

 

Zelo thought about it when he nodded. “Okay, that’s easy… Umm, do I have stay in their condo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter