Mistake

The Psychopath

Days passed, but still no sign of Baekhyun.

It's been almost 3 weeks and Se Ri was living like a deadpan even with the loved one by her side. But she couldn't reveal her true worries, knowing fully well the relationship between Kai and Baekhyun wasn't a pleasant one to start with.

"Se Ri?" Kai called out from the living room. No answer. "Se Ri?" He called again. Silence.
Kai placed his coffee mug down and stood up. He walked into the kitchen to see Se Ri stirring her own cup of hot chocolate.
"Se Ri? he called once more, walking around the dinner table to get to her. Again, as before, she didn't respond. Her mind was somewhere else and Kai noticed her staring at the marbled finish cabinet. Se Ri stirred her drink a little too hard that some of the hot liquid scalded her hand.

"Oww!" She snapped out from her thoughts and wagged her scalded hand in the air. She was even more stunned when another pair of hands grabbed onto hers. She looked up and saw Kai staring at her.

"Kai...when did you get here?" She spoke in an almost whisper.

Kai was silent but instead he pulled her into his arms. "What's wrong? Did you have a bad day at work? You weren't answering me when I called out your name."

"Oh..sorry..." She snuggled closer to his firm chest. Her cheeks felt warm against it. Kai ran his fingers through her black hair in an effort to comfort her.

"Do...you want to tell me?" He asked her after planting a kiss on her head.

*I can't. Not if it's about Baekhyun. I don't want to remind you of the past.* She thought to herself.
"I just....I kept thinking about.." She paused.

"What?" He pulled back to ask.

"Chanyeol..it's his birthday today." she lied. Well it wasn't a total lie. She had been thinking of Baekhyun and Chanyeol just that the former's story was a forbidden subject. Plus she had received an anonymous note telling her to beware of her own boyfriend. She couldn't tell Kai anything.

On the other hand, Kai was silent. He knew how much Chanyeol meant to her after the countless stories she had told him.

"I miss him." Se Ri's voice shook but tried to control her emotions. She gripped onto Kai's shirt, slightly tugging down his collar to reveal his perfect collarbone. Before she could cry a river, an idea lit up in his head. He pulled back with a heart stopping smile. Wiping her tears with his fingers, he bent down to her eye level and spoke, "Let's go."

"Huh. Where?" She searched his eyes with her big ones.

Kai smiled wider. "The fireworks." He tugged her hands and they were out of her home.

 

--------

Chanyeol stared at his phone. His birthday party was getting wild but he just sat at a corner.

*Come on. Aren't you gonna call me?* He wondered. *You've never once missed wishing me a happy birthday. I guessed you really meant it when you say our friendship is over.* Chanyeol sighed and threw his phone on the sofa which bounced off and landed on the ground underneath the coffee table. He stood up and dusted off his pants.

"Oy Chanyeol! I'm gonna make a move on your girlfriend if you don't come over here!" One of his friends hollered.

"You try Oh Sehun. I'll dump that bucket of paddle pop ice cream in your hands over your head!" He shouted and jogged back to the party area.

 

--------

The next morning Se Ri woke up feeling a lot better. She remembered last night. The fireworks display at the Han River awed her speechless. Couples were seen everywhere including the both of them. Kai had told her it was to make her feel better and she was thankful for his thoughtfulness. She forgot about Baekhyun. She forgot about Chanyeol. And she forgot about the warning note. It was just Kai and her.

Her day at work was the same. She had to juggle two responsibilities. Her own section and of course Baekhyun's. Kyungsoo offered to help but she knew with him being the head admin was a handful so she told him to leave it to her.

"20 more minutes and I'm done." She took out her phone and sent a text to Kai telling him to wait for her at the outside front entrance. She smiled at his reply and tucked it back inside her hoody pocket. Kai had been getting off days recently which she has been wondering why. But she wouldn't question as much as it was an advantage to her. Kai had planned a date that day and told her he would fetch her from work. She couldn't wait for the twenty dreadful minutes to be over.

"Se Ri, you can knock off now." Her new supervisor to her. Sqealing inwardly, she skipped off to her locker, grabbed her bag and went down the elevator. Her phone buzzed. Kai texted her.

"I'm here already. See you. XOXO" She chuckled at the text. Who knew Kai could be so....cheesy.

The moment she stepped out of the building, the cool autumn breeze hit her cheeks. She tightened the scarf around her neck and buried half of her face in it. In front of her stood a figure wearing a cap and a pair of sneakers with his back facing her. Se Ri cheekily smiled to herself and felt a little mischievous. She sneaked behind him and hugged him from the back, at the same time, planting a kiss on his cheek.

"Did you wait long?" She asked.

The figure spunned around with wide eyes. Se Ri looked up and her smile vanished. *B...Baek..?*

"Se Ri?" A voice called from the right. She turned her head and saw Kai standing a few metres away from her.

-------------

A/N: For some of you who doesn't know what paddle pop is, it is an ice cream brand which has a rainbow flavoured ice cream. Google it. It has the same color as Sehun's current hair. Thus the joke by Chanyeol! I hope you enjoyed reading this chapter! =)