The past and present

The Psychopath

 

Flashback:

“Kai!”

Kai was at his locker when he overheard his name being called. He whipped around and a huge grin replaced his cold façade. There, running towards him, is a beautiful long-haired female, about 5 foot 2, named Lee Saejin. She was his girlfriend of 2 years. They met when both of them were in their sophomore year. Kai was practicing for his performance in his dance class when Saejin accidently ran into the classroom. Kai was astounded by her beauty and from then on, he knew it was love at first sight.

 

Kai would always spy on her with his friends just to know her class schedule. He didn’t mind skipping classes just to know her whereabouts. One particular day, Kai was determined to confess his feelings for her. He waited for her to finish her class of the day. Kai was leaning against the wall outside school with a bouquet of flowers in hand. He blew air from his cheeks and fidgeted around. His heart was palpitating madly in his ribcage. When he saw Saejin turn the corner, he straightened up and cleared his throat. He mustered up his courage and walked towards her.

 

“Bye Saejin!” her friends bid goodbye before they separate ways.

“See you tomorrow!”, Saejin waved back.

 

Saejin turned around and was greeted with roses in her face. She was startled and jumped a little. The owner of the roses lowered down the bouquet and revealed his face. Kai gave his signature smile that could melt hearts but all Saejin did was blink at him.

 

“Hi Saejin”, Kai broke the staring contest.

Slowly, a smile formed on Saejin’s face.

“Hi Kai!”

 

From then on, the two started dating much to the envy of the rest of the students.

End of flashback

--------

Kai snapped out of his thoughts and shook his head hard. No, Saejin is dead.

 

On Monday morning, Se Ri took her bike out for a stroll. The air was cold and she shivered a little. While she was enjoying the ride, all of a sudden, her bike wobbled uncontrollably. She stopped her bike with her feet and got off. She crouched down and examine the chains of her bike which was loose. She tilted her head thinking of how to fix this.

Meanwhile, Kai was on the way to grab his cup of coffee when he spotted a girl ahead. From what he see, it looks like she was having a problem, so he decided to help. He walked closer and crouched next to her.

 

“Urmm, is there a problem?” he asked, genuinely concern.

The girl turned around, surprised by presence of someone beside her.

 

Kai gasp at the sight of the girl.

 

“Uhhh..yeah. The chain’s loose. I haven’t been using it for quite a while and I have no idea how to fix it”, she replied while scratching her head.

 

He stared at her without replying. The girl turned towards him and stared back in confusion. Kai averted his gaze and started fixing the loose chains. His hands were at work, but his mind was somewhere else.

Tell me it’s not Saejin. Please.

 

“I’m Se Ri by the way. I live round the corner by the laundry house”

After hearing that, Kai relaxed a little. He wiped his hands on his pants and held it out with a smile.

“Hello, I’m Kai. I guess we’re neighbours then. I live around there too”

Se Ri shook his hands and grinned up at him.

“Your bike’s should be alright now. Give it a try”, he gestured towards her bike.

“Oh yeah. I should!”, Se Ri said and hopped onto her blue bike. When it worked, Se Ri’s eyes lit up and she turned back to him.

“Thanks Kai! See you around!”, and she sped off.

 

Kai’s smile slowly disappeared. His eyebrows furrowed in confusion and a frown appeared on his face.

Saejin? Se Ri? Saejin? Se Ri?

He couldn’t shake the thought that both Se Ri and Saejin look alike. From the long black hair and almond shaped face, everything about her made Kai want find out anything that’s worth finding out.