Fallen Leaves

The Boy's Letter

“...had she been brought a little later... she would have not been able to make it. Have you considered treatment? There is still a possibility that she might be cured.”

 

Changmin could only stare at the doctor. The thought of Yejin dying had left him completely shaken.

 

“Well, we could talk about this some other time Mr. SHIM. I do hope that it would be soon.”

 

Changmin only nodded as the doctor left him. He then went inside Yejin’s room.

 

“YAH. Pabo. You should have told me. Do you not trust me?” Changmin murmured as he Yejin’s hair.

 

Yejin was at the intensive care unit when Changmin arrived. He had thanked the lady who looked after Yejin.

 

He had called his mother and they will be with Changjin first thing in the morning. He had checked up on Kyuhyun, Changjin was sleeping with him at the guest room.

 

“How is she?” Kyuhyun asked through the line.

 

“She’s out of danger now.” Changmin replied.

 

“That’s good news. I should get back to sleep. Long day ahead. You should too so that you’ll be ready when she wakes up. Don’t worry about Changjin, this little trooper is very understanding.”

 

“Thank you.” Changmin uttered

 

“It’s nothing; you would have done the same.”

 

“I’ll hang up first.” Changmin said and the line disconnected.

 

Rain started pouring. Changmin got a chair and sat beside Yejin’s bed. He took her hand into his. He slowly drifted in to slumber the soft tapping outside lulling him to sleep. 

 

~

 

It was morning. Changmin woke up when the sunlight kissed his cheeks. Yejin is still unconscious. He quickly called his mother, checking on Changjin. Changjin was already eating his breakfast when his call came in.

 

Halmeoni, are you talking to appa?” Changmin heard Changjin ask his mother.

 

“Tell him I love him and eomma and I miss them.”

 

“You heard the boy. How is she doing?” The old lady asked.

 

“She’s still asleep. I’ll call you later eomma, thank you for looking after Changjin.”

 

“Anytime, son.” The line disconnected.

 

Changmin looked over Yejin. She was still fast asleep. Changmin went out for awhile to get breakfast for himself. When he came back Yejin was still sleeping. The doctor had said that she will wake up soon. He placed a cup of coffee and the bedside table and started eating his bread. After some time Yejin stirred, Changmin quickly put away his food.

 

Yejin opened her eyes, disoriented by the light.

 

“Hey.” Yejin looked to her left and saw Changmin, she did not expect him to be here.

 

“How are you feeling?” Changmin asked as he cupped Yejin’s face with his right hand. Yejin started crying. Changmin scooted closer then hugged Yejin.

 

“Shhh, don’t cry baby. I’m here.” Changmin said as he tried to calm down Yejin.

 

“I’m sorry…” Yejin uttered as she continued to sob.

 

“Its okay baby, don’t cry.” Changmin cooed.

 

“Changjin, how is he?” Yejin asked.

 

“He’s fine. Don’t cry.” Changmin tried to calm her down. After some time Yejin’s crying stopped and they both lie in bed Changmin continued to hug her, her back facing him. They lie still feeling each others’ breathing. Changmin was first to break the silence.

 

“Baby, why didn’t you tell me?” Changmin said as he hugged Yejin closer to him. He missed her. He hugged her like she might be gone any minute.

 

“I got scared.” Yejin said.

 

“I… I… why? Why did it have to happen? We were doing fine; we were going to do even better… why?” Yejin started crying again, she brought her hands to her face.

 

“I did not know what to do… They said it was hopeless. I did not want you to see me suffer like this. I don’t want Changjin to see me suffering like this, my poor boy, he’s too young.”

 

“Baby.” Changmin said which caught Yejin’s attention. Yejin wiped her tears with the back of her hands.

 

“You know I love you.” Changmin said as he rested his chin on Yejin’s shoulder. Yejin nodded.

 

“And that I will always be there for you.” Yejin nodded, tears b her eyes.

 

“Come home with me. It doesn’t matter, I’d rather have you with us than you wandering alone and taking all of these to yourself. Share with me your pain.”

 

“Changmin, I’m scared.”

 

“Don’t be, you’re not alone. You have me and Changjin. We love you, we will be there for you.” Changmin said as he kissed Yejin’s temple.