Wrong Number

The Boy's Letter


DECEMBER 26, 2015

11:45PM KST

 

Yunho took out his phone and looked through his contacts. He has to tell them especially him.

 

        Name: 김 재중

        Number: 2-524-****

 

Yunho pressed the ‘Call’ button, it rang.

 

Meanwhile, on the other end of the line…

           

Incoming call from 정 윤호

 

Why would he be calling at this time of the night? Jaejoong was hesitant to answer the phone after seeing the name on the screen, it was just plain Jung Yunho unlike before when he used to add hearts on their names like, ‘Changmin ♥’ or ‘My Lovely Yunho’.

 

He had Yunho and Changmin’s number for a long time but he never dared to text nor call them. He had a bad feeling about this phone call. Yunho did not call when ‘they’ celebrated ‘their’ 11th anniversary or the 8th, 9th and 10th for that matter, why call now on ‘their’ 12th ‘anniversary’? He finally picked up the phone sensing that it must be something urgent since Yunho never let it come as far as the fifth ring.

 

Jaejoong pressed the ‘Answer’ button cleared his throat and was about to say something when he heard someone crying from the other line. Yunho never cried specially on the phone if he did it was only with him.

 

What happened Yunho? What’s wrong?

 

“Yunho-ah, what’s wrong? What happened?” Jaejoong asked out of concern hearing Yunho cry but only to be answered by Yunho’s sobs.

 

“If you’re not going to answer, I’m going to hang up. I have no time for you.” It was a lie. Jaejoong meant the opposite, he had all the time for Yunho and Changmin, even if it meant missing his plane to Japan for a concert in Tokyo Dome anything for those two but it was the only way he thought of to knock Yunho and get him back to his senses.

 

Yunho composed himself on the other line and spoke steadily as he can. “Jaejoong hyung.”

 

Yunho said his voice cracked. That took Jaejoong off guard. Yunho never called him ‘hyung’ because if you calculate by his true birth date, Jaejoong was only two days older than Yunho but that’s another story well he did call him ‘Jaejoong hyung’ before but as time passed it became ‘Jaejoong-ah’ even ‘BooJae’ from way back.

 

“Jaejoong hyung, Changmin-ie…” Yunho tried not to breakdown but continued to sob on the other end of the line.

 

“Jaejoong hyung! Come here quick!” Junsu who was in the living room with Yoochun called out to Jaejoong. Jaejoong went to the living room. Junsu and Yoochun were both staring at the TV and then Jaejoong saw the headline.

 

TVXQ’s Choikang Changmin attempts suicide,

in critical condition.

 

Jaejoong grips on his phone harder with a stern look on his face. “Where are you?”

 

“Seoul National Hospital.” Junsu and Yoochun stood frozen.

 

“What? You guys are not moving?” Jaejoong said out loud enough for them to hear while picking up his car keys and jacket and headed out for the door. Junsu and Yoochun followed suit.