Two Heart

The Boy's Letter

 

JULY 22, 2016

2:15PM KST

 

Changmin was waiting by the park bench overlooking the sandbox.He waited for the boy whom they said was his child, his son after awhile Changjin came.He went over the sand box and watched the boy.

 

Mini-me.

 

Ahjusshi, why are you looking at me? You’re just like those four men who scared my mom yesterday. She nearly said that I should not come by the sandbox anymore which makes me sad.” Changjin said.

 

“Changjin-ah! Eomma is here!”

 

Changmin looked to the direction the familiar voice was coming from.

 

His heart started beating faster he knows this voice.

 

He stood up and turned around and there she was. Yejin.

 

~

 

Yejin could not move any closer to his son because of what she saw.

 

What? How? Why is he here?

 

Eomma!” Changjin ran into Yejin’s arms.

 

Changmin caught her eyes and they stared at each other.

 

Eomma. Do you know that ahjusshi? Is he your friend? Can we go now? I’m hungry.”

 

Neh.” Yejin looked at her son.

 

“Yejin.” Changmin called out.

 

Yejin walked away with her son on her arms.

 

She wasn’t ready to face him.

 

“Yejin.” Changmin called out again.

 

But Yejin continued to walk pretending not to hear.

 

Changmin stood there silent.

 

He thought of something and hurried back to Yunho’s house.

 

~

 

Yejin was lost in thought. She would always space out as she and Changjin headed home.

 

Eomma, are you okay?”

 

“Uh? Neh.” Yejin pulled out from her trance.

 

They continued to walk as Changjin told stories about what happened in school.

 

~

 

Yejin was startled by what she saw at the doorsteps of their house. Changmin stood up as he saw Yejin and his son coming in.

 

“Yejin.” Changmin said as he ran to Yejin and gave her a bear hug.

 

“I missed you.” Changmin said as she kissed Yejin’s forehead and hugged her again inhaling the scent of her. He missed her so much he could die.

 

“Changmin.” Yejin said no color on her tone as she broke away from the hug.

 

Eomma, who is he?” Changjin asked pointing to Changmin.

 

Yejin did not respond.

 

Changjin then tugged on her dress.

 

“Oh.” Yejin finally out of her trance.

 

“Why don’t we talk inside?” Yejin said to Changmin without looking into his eyes and made her way to the door.

 

The house was not big. It consisted of a small living room, a small kitchen, a small bathroom and only one room.Yejin prepared some of Changmin’s favourite snacks and took out a bottle of Changmin’s favourite drink and served it to him. Changmin’s heart was bursting because of sheer joy. His Yejin prepared his favourites.

 

Eomma, are these mine?” Changjin said pointing to the food in front of Changmin.

 

“Do you want to eat it?” Changmin asked Yejin’s son.

 

“Neh. These are my favourites specially this one.” Changjin said while picking up a piece of the chocolate cookies and getting the glass of milk.

 

“He likes what you like.” Yejin commented while looking at his son chomping on his third cookie.

 

“He reminds me a lot of you.” Yejin added.

 

“Why didn’t you tell me?” Changmin said looking at the boy in front of him.

 

“I did not want to add up to the problems.” Yejin said coldly.

 

What is she talking about? Changmin thought to himself.

 

“You’re idol image is at risk if we showed up. The breakup and all. It was better that nobody knew.” Yejin said low.

 

She was really concerned about Changmin’s career. She did not care if people would stare at here or talk things about her behind her back, how she was knocked up and left by her son’s father. But she endured all of that alone because she did not want to risk Changmin’s dream.

 

“You don’t have to worry about us. We would never bother you. Just pretend you didn’t know that Changjin existed.” Yejin said she clearly did not want anything to do with Changmin.

 

“Why are you doing this to me? I’m his father.” Changmin asked Yejin with pleading eyes.

 

Yejin looked away, those eyes.

 

“When is his birthday?” Changmin said as he looked at his son enjoying himself in front of the television.

 

“You don’t need to know that, we’re doing fine.” Yejin said as she tried to clean up the table.

 

“Just leave us alone please? We’re okay just being here. You don’t have to worry about us. If you don’t mind please leave and I do hope you don’t come back again.” Yejin said softly.

 

“But… but…” Changmin tried to reason out to Yejin but he knew that there’s nothing he could do for now. He stood up. Changmin left.

 

~

 

Eomma, who’s that ahjusshi? He said he was my Dad.” Changjin asked his mom.

 

“He’s just a friend of eomma.” Yejin said as she moved closer to Changjin and caressed Changjin’s cheek.

 

~

 

“So, how did it go?” Yoochun asked Changmin beaming as he saw him coming from the main door.

 

Changmin just walked past him and straight into his room.