She. . .is scared.

She

 

After that suffocating, disastrous, smothering, stifling, fatal, or whatever adjective your vocabulary could come up with, that has the synonym of death due to suffocation, yes. That laboratory, that I’ve just been to for almost five fcuking hours, finally I found liberty.

Freedom from that filthy, salty, rusty iron smell, and white blinding laboratory. I swear I will never be in that class again. Even that freaky Einsteinette kneel down in front of me and worship me, no fukcing way I’m gonna step my toe in there. Just seeing these cotton swabs tinted with blood in my fingers, arms are making my cringe. Now I look like a sick healthy person. I thought we’ll be having those bloody test for the whole day, jeez!

Xiumin and I went out the laboratory together, with me walking- no, rushing more to get out than him. Still wearing the lab gown, and the mask tucked in my ears, I pulled it down my chin to breathe. Finally. The mask with its purpose to help us not to inhale those toxics, yet it’s suffocating.

“So, you’re negative huh?” Xiumin teased as he poked my arm with that creepy grin of his.

As the blood testing started awhile ago, I couldn’t help thinking, doubting about the possibilities of being positive in whatever tests that we’ll be doing. It’s a fcuking HIV test for kimchisakes! And almost everyone in this University, and this College of Medicine where I am in is no exception in that, knows how my hormones are ranging, though I haven’t been doing anything these past few days- but I know, I am always safe, but I’d never take tests to prove it. Yes, most people would be too- it’s like a sudden hit in the gut when you’re damn too sure you are NOT, yet there is science to prove that you ARE. It’s Science, you cannot argue.

Well knowing I am negative, I remember almost everyone in class was waiting for my result, and I know some were disappointed that I am negative. Kiss my toes! How humiliating it is to be me, The Great Luhan being positive in HIV. I can see me in headlines, potatoes being thrown at me, my father giving me sh!ts, and everything would be disaster.

“Yeah like I am not sure I’d be negative.” I smirked back at Xiumin.

He laughed, “Sure your Luhan, you were pale the moment I told you it was an HIV test. Tell me, you’re doing dirty huh?” he accused, he knows I do safe, and now he doubts me. Jeez!

“Now my friend doubts me?” I inched my brow giving him the look.

He just laughed, shaking his head. As we walked out near the stairs, I saw her. Yes, her. The one sole reason I’ve done all these things.

There she was leaning down, hair flowing down like a curtain on her other side, as the other side is tucked in her ear, leaning her lower back at the railings, staring down her feet as she play and tosses her feet on the hem of her long skirt. Waiting, she’s waiting for me. And when she heard footsteps, she immediately jerked her head up.

As our eyes met, her doleful eyes went bright and just when I thought she’s just going to look at me and thank me, no.

And I just found myself preparing for the sudden. . . “Luhan!”

She came running towards me and- actually threw herself on me, almost making me stumbling down.

She hugged me, I was left immobile and I thought the time stopped when it happened.

Her arms were wrapping my neck too tight, tip-toeing so hard just to reach my height. She keeps on saying something I couldn’t comprehend much as my mind is. . .mindfcuked.

She was too close, and too bold to surprise me of this. And there is my olfaction working out with that particular smell that’s seething through my nose.

Grapefruit and Lemongrass, dang it.

This so unusual smell that now I can recognize, this smell that’s been hunting me whenever I am near her, and now it’s too close, reeking too much in my nose, addicting. It’s not her hair, but her skin and I have no choice but delve in my nose on her neck, almost kissing it, engulfing myself with her smell.

Until someone clears his throat, and she pulled away. Staring at me, “Thank you Luhan! Thank you so much! You don’t know how much I owe you for this!” Freak started to blabber her thank you praises on me, and there I woke up.

I exhaled, damn that smell. “You better be, I almost died in suffocation in there.” I said in sarcasm, not being sure of what my thoughts are.

Then the one who interrupted my olfaction moment spoke, “Hi JinHannie!”

Jin Honey- what? I frowned, making sure he won’t see.

“Oh! Min-kun! Sorry! I didn’t notice you.” Min-kun- what the hell are these pet names they have?

Xiumin chuckled, that kind of chuckled that is so fancy in women’s ears he does whenever with women- “It’s okay, I can tell you are too occupied of him.”

“What- are you close?” I asked.

Xiumin tapped my back, “No need to be jealous Luhan, we’re just friends.” He reasoned out while looking at her and winked. She chuckled, sweetly. What is chuckling sweet?

What the hell is happening? Xiumin is suddenly flirting, when he never does that unless in a club!

“I am not-“

“Since Luhan made me a favor, and you’re in here too Min-kun, come! I’m going to treat you both!” She asked us both with that unusual happiness in her voice.

Xiumin suddenly thought of something and immediately refused, when I know he wanted it so much. “Oh no, Jinhannie. No need!” Xiumin shakes his head with his hand shaking in disapproval too, why is he that reluctant? “You shouldn’t be spending your allowance on me; I know it’s not enough for all your needs. Just take Luhan, I know he’s too expensive in eating.”

Oh, I remember. No one knows she’s richer than anybody here in school.

She played it safe. She chuckled again, “Okay, if that’s what you want. I won’t ask you again in the future!” and she laughed.

Why is she being like this! It’s like a 380 degree turn over of her, well it’s like I don’t experience this alone with her, but now she’s inflicting her weird behavior with others too. Oh kimchi.

“So I guess I have to go now Jinhannie!” and Xiumin me, “Take care of little missy Luhan!” smirking, and left.

“Come now Luhan!” she suddenly grabbed my wrist, pulling me as she walked ahead me.

I don’t know but I should be pulling my arm away from her, but I did not. I let her do her thing. It’ll be so heartless of mine to ruin her oh so obviously cheerful mood.

“Lunch break is over, no one would see us.” She glanced back at me as she continued to walk.

And I forgot I don’t want others seeing me with her, it would be so reckless of mine if she hadn’t told me. Sometimes I think, she really has her ways of not putting me on zone.

“What’s with those Honey and Kun?” I finally asked her. She doesn’t seem to bother my question as she kept on walking. Talking while walking like it wasn’t a serious matter. It isn’t a serious matter, is it?

“Oh, that! It’s not honey, h-o-n-e-y.” she explained with her cute pronunciation of each letter, “It’s Jinhannie, h-a-n-n-i-e.” but why is he calling you that ike you both are too damn close?

“But why with that name?”

“You see uhm. I’m the youngest in their class, almost all of them treat me as a. . .you know,” saying the last word with her head tilting as he now faced me. “He decided he’ll call me that, well actually it’s not just him who calls me that. Almost everyone in my Hematology class.” She smiled after explaining.

“And what is that Min-kun you’re calling him?”

That’s when she stopped walking and turned her whole body attention on me, “Since he was older than me, you know Koreans; he wanted me to call him oppa.” She looked down, like guilty. “But I didn’t want to; it’s only my oppa who I call oppa, even that is kind of hard to me. I am not really into those Korean endearments.”

Korean endearments, she sounded it like she’s disgusted of it. Aren’t girls love that oppa, oppa, oppa this, oppa that?

“So I told him if I’d call him something else I am more comfortable with, and it’s Min-kun. Xiumin is kinda mouthful to my tongue.” She giggled at her idea. So she’s with ‘Barbie’ with me? But what’s with kun? kun is more like socially acceptable than being called ‘Barbie’. It’s like a hidden something. I would even think she’s just making these stories up. Why would Xiumin be close with her? “Anyway,” she distracted my thoughts, her fingers still rolled over my wrist, sometimes tapping her fingers on it. “I know you don’t eat in cafeteria, so we’re going out. You have my keys, where are we going?”

“Just at the usual café would be fine.” I couldn’t think of anywhere else to eat with her. Not especially in the main streets, I am too dangerous to be seen with her there.

“Sure!”

And with that I led the way toward her Aston at the main parking of the University. As her Aston became visible, I pulled out the control and turned down the lock. With the beeping signal, she ran towards the car, immediately sitting on the passenger seat not even checking if I’m still following her, looking like I’m her driver. What’s with her sudden change of glee?

 

*8*8*

 

Since lunch break was over, the café wasn’t that crowded like how it is whenever, us guys would eat in here at lunch breaks. And with that I am thankful; less people, less witness. Witness of us, being together and specially eating together.

She led the way towards a two-seater table away from the entrance, at the part of café where it’s almost out of sight of the public. Seriously, this freak knows what my ways should be, that I don’t need to remind her. Easy.

“So, you sit here and I’ll order.” She even pulled out my seat, now she’s being a gentle-woman. Her excitement is too obvious that she immediately walked away towards the counter; she didn’t even asked what I want, and for kimchisakes I only eat one single meal in this café!

I was about to turn around and tell her what I’d eat, but it’s too late. She’s now at the counter, telling her orders. I sighed, and just sat on the table. She’s rich, she could order again. I’ll just make her eat whatever cruddy food she ordered for me.

I waited for minutes, having my thoughts wander around the scene behind the glass walls of the café. Watching how busy Seoul is, and preparing my complaining insults I’d throw her once she comes back with whatever food she ordered for me to eat.

Then there she came walking towards me with that usual but unusual sweet smile of her, ‘Sorry, that smile won’t work with when it comes to the food I eat.’  She stood beside the table and gently placed the plate in front of me, serving me like she’s my personal waitress.

And just when I was to open my mouth and shoot her my well prepared rants, my eyes landed on the dish ravishingly laid on the plate in front me. Holy Freaking Kimchi.

“Eat well!” she placed the tray at the unoccupied table next to us and sat back in front of me, placing her chin on her entwined fingers, elbows leaning on the table.

Bulgogi Burrito.

Bulgogi Burrito, sitting in tandem in my plate, the only dish I eat in this café, fairly laid in front me.

This witch never fails to surprise me. Does she read my mind? Google every fcuking information about me? Secretly follow those fan clubs of me? But this dish; only Xiumin, Lay, and Zitao knows that this is the only meal I eat in here. I doubt even the waitresses here don’t even know it too! I wanted to stop these sorcerous thoughts of me of her, but she just won’t let me stop these.

How am I suppose to stop these thoughts when she would always surprise sh!ts like this! Knowing things about me that only a FEW know. I find it creepy, seriously.

I tried to placate my thoughts, and think immediately of something just not to ask her how did she know.

“Aren’t you going to eat too?” I noticed that there’s only a single set, obviously for me.

She played with her lower lip up, “Err, no. I’m done. I’ll just watch you eat.” And she smiled again.

I sighed, no. I exhaled to loud. Why do I feel so exhausted when I’m just sitting in here?

I started to eat, slowly. I wanted to dig more about her, talk endlessly about the most random things until she tells me that she’s a witch. Ridiculous, but I am very willing. Serious as heart attack.

“But isn’t it rude for me just to eat, while you’re just watching me?” it would look like she’s a beggar dreaming of a delicious food to eat.

“Okay, to make you content,” she started rummaging her bag, and pulled out a plastic bottle of. . .milk? “Here, I am drinking a milk.

“A milk? Seriously, and in a bottle like that?” the bottle is like those kiddy juices that kids would cry their lungs out just to have.

“Un! It’s healthy. Good for the health, you wanna try?” she asked me as she handed me the bottle.

“No, thanks. Keep it, and I’d rather buy the milk this café has than. . .that.” I nodded at her drink.

She giggled how I am disgusted at her milk, silly freak. Giggling at her own stymy.

She twisted it cap and placed a straw and started sipping it. Now is the good time to talk Luhan.

But she started it first, “I really wanted to thank you! You don’t know how thankful I am with you now.” She told me with that glee in her eyes.

“Okay, Okay. Thanks, and this treat has been accepted already, no need to thank me again a hundred times more.” And she giggled, again. Why I find it weird, she’s been giggling today.

“Tell me, what other things are you scared of, other than blood?” I began my interrogation.

“Hmmm, other than blood. . .thunders?” she said with that questioning high pitched tone. Now it was my turn to giggle. She said it too cute, like she isn’t sure about herself. “Yeah, thunders!” now she assured it.

Thunders, like most of the women.

“You should be studying thunders too then.” I laughed at that previous joke I told her, she smiled but that smile that tells me to end the joke.

I cleared my throat, “So other than those?”

“Why are you asking anyway?” she frowned.

“Well, to prepare for all the following favors you’d ask me again.”

She suddenly laughed, I continued. “I was really. . .blown out with that supposed to be blood testing you had me.”

“Why,” she paused still laughing, “Isn’t it blood testing?”

“It is a blood testing, but not that kind of testing I was expecting it to be! It’s a freaking HIV test!” my voice suddenly became outranged.

She continued to laugh like I wasn’t even getting mad, “Like you’d be positive of it.”

“You better be thankful I am not.” I scoffed, and she suddenly stopped laughing.

It was silence after that, and I have no idea how the good atmosphere awhile ago broke down.

I began again, “So any other else you are scared of?”

The joyous freak awhile ago was suddenly gone as I look at her staring down her drink, and I swam back my actions, words, thoughts, to whatever I have done wrong to bring this side of her hark back.

Still staring down at her drink, I waited for her answer. That’s when I noticed the label on the milk she’s drinking. There are too many words- sentences- on it, than just having the name of the milk itself. Isn’t it supposed to have those animated characters to earn kids attention? Perhaps the huge logo name of the milk? I was suddenly frowning. Now intrigued to grab the bottle and see it myself.

“Above all else,” she paused. “Above everything,” she finally glanced at me, and she continued. “I’m afraid to be sick.”

I stared at her dumbfounded. What? Then the chuckle I’ve been suppressing, blurted out.

“Everyone is afraid, or rather, hates being sick. Who wouldn’t?” I never knew this freak would try her fail humor on me, but then as I glanced back at her she seemed serious, but that thought disappeared when she finally laughed too. That not too loud laugh, that kind of laugh she’s been wanting to let go.

“Yeah, I know. But,” she looked at me, “I don’t know, it’s what scares me the most.”

I continued, “Then what would you do if you get sick? I mean, it’s easy to get coughs, and colds. Even fever, you could get it anytime.” I jokingly said.

“Exactly those, those- that are so easy to get are what I am scared of.”

I scorned, “Of course! Because they’ll hit you anytime, any moment, whatever you are doing, whenever you are.”

She nodded, and murmured a sentence too low but I could hear, yet I wasn’t able to understand.

I finished my meal that time and I decided I have to leave. I guess I can’t make her admit to me that she’s a witch, “Guess we have to go now, I am done. Thanks for the treat!”

I stood up and she looked up at me, not planning to leave her seat. “Oh, sure. Go ahead, I’ll just stay here.” She said with that smile again.

“But- don’t you need a ride? I can just send you home.” I offered, genuinely.

“Yeah,” she smiled timidly, “I’m okay here.”

“Suit yourself. Bye!” with that I left, thinking why she would want to be left alone in there.

I came out the café, walked towards my car. As I clutched the door to get in, I glanced back at her through the glass wall of the café.

She’s leaning her back at the chair; her arm limply slumped on the arm chair. Staring at her bottled milk, her fingers playing on its lid and with that another unfathomable face pasted on.

“Guess she’s not that really elated today eh?” I mumbled, and ignored that scene I know would hunt me down again if I continued on staring at.