Chapter 8

Slipping Away

The Kims were enjoying dinner while celebrating about their son arrival from New York. Mr. Kim was pleased to see his son again and praised him for finishing his bussiness school.

“You happy lived at New York?” asked his father

“Happy. But I prefer Seoul,”

“Someone attracted you?” asked his mother

“No one can beat her charm. SHE still the most attractive to me,” Kai pointed at word ‘SHE’ to his parents to show who he means.

“We’re promised not to talk about her again,” said Mr. Kim

The dinner continued in awkward atmosphere. Only sound from spoons and forks playing in the dining table. Mrs. Kim tried to opened a conversation again.

“Son, what do you plan after coming here?”

“I want to attend Seould of Arts University. You have to keep your promise to let me to do anything that I like,”

“Of course. You may study there,” answered his father

“And I’ll search her for sure. Don’t cut me, dad. I’m 22 now. I will do everything that I want,”

Mr. Kim slammed the table and glared to his son.

“How many times I have said! You can’t meet her or her family again!”

“I owe her an explanation and apologize. I will search her,”

Kai already made his decision. Nobody could interfere that.

“I’m done eating. I’ll take a bath first,” he said while got up from his seat leaving his parents in the dining room. They had no appetite anymore.

“Mr. Kang? This is Jongin. Yes, I already home. I need your help so can you do me a favor? I want to look for anything realted to her. Yes, her. The daughter of Ah Family. Find everything about her,”

He hang up his phone and laid on his bed.

“we'll meet sooner or later, Ria-ya” he said to himself.

 

RiA covered her son with blanket and sat next to him to tell him bedtime stories.

“What kind of story you want to hear tonight?” asked RiA

“How about your first meeting with appa?” answered Hoon enthusiastically

She stared at Hoon's face. It is so unusual that Hoon asked about his father. She only told him his father left them. Even though Hoon understood, he couldn't help himself to feel envious at his friends when they were with their fathers.

“Come on. Tell me,”

“Why did you ask that?”

“Curiosity. Tell me please,”

“I met your appa when I was in High School. He’s good at dancing. I’d known him since freshman year, but we’re getting closer when he helped me in dancing competition,”

“You danced? I thought you only play cello,”

“Blame you harabeoji then. Eh, you can’t tell that to harabeoji okay?”

“okay. It’s a promise!”

“Now, close your eyes and go to sleep,”

“Omoni….. I still want to ask about appa,”

“Tomorrow okay? Go sto sleep now. Come on!”

Hoon nodded and closed his eyes. RiA were about to leave when she saw a drawing on Hoon's desk. The drawing contained three people. A family, father, mother, and son. At the bottom of the drawing there was a note, ' although I never met you I hope appa live well because I and omma live very well.'

Tears rolled on her cheeks after reading that. Hoon's still too young to understand adults' problems. His parents couldn't be together. As long as their family still in tense condition.