Chapter 12

Slipping Away

Hoon's mother already left for work. He still eat his breakfast with Vicky and Kyungsoo. After last night he asked her to tell him about his father, Hoon couldn't sleep. He saw his mother was crying in her room. He felt guilty.

“Why you didn’t touch your food? Is it bad?” asked Vicky

Hoon told them about last night to Vicky and Kyungsoo.

“Was appa really a bad person until omma hates him so much?”

“Your appa is not a bad person, Hoon-ah. The situation makes them to part,”

“why?”

“You’ll understand when you’re older,”

“Come on, Hoon. Let’s go to school,” said Kyungsoo

Hoon pouted and follwed his uncle's order. He took his backpack and jacket then went inside the car.

Arrived at school, Hoon came down and took a glance to his friends. They were escorted by their fathers. Some of them with their parents. A jealous feeling appeared in his heart.

“Hoon? Come inside,”

“Ne, saem,”

 

Kai started his car engine while waiting news from Mr. Kang. He stoped at a park near a school where his school trip visited.

FLASHBACK

“Where are we going? If teacher knows, we’re dead meat,” said Kai

“You’re afraid of them? Since when? I know you’re bored there,”

Kai followed RiA's will. After arriving at the park, he saw many of his friends also there. Runaway from boring speech that Headmaster delivered. Also some teachers were there.

“See?” RiA hopped to Kai’s back and told him to piggyback her.

“You’re heavy,”

“Healthy,” RiA answered happily

FLASHBACK END

He went down from his car and saw around 3 little boys were beating their friend. They were around 4-5 years old. They were still in kindergarten based on their uniform. Kai rushed to stop their fighting.

“Ya, stop it! Fighting won’t solve problems,” said Kai

“Who are you? Are you his father?”

“Don’t speak like that to someone older than you. Your parents didn’t teach you that at home? I’ll call your school,” Kai took his phone and start dialing. The boys were frightened and runaway after making faces to their bully.

“Are you okay?” asked Kai

“Ne, kamsahamnida,”

“No problem. Why did they beat you?”

“They were angery because I beated them first,”

“Why did you beat them?”

“Who are you anyway, ahjusshi? I’m sorry but my mother told me not to talk to stranger,”

Kai laughed and offered his hand.

“My name is Jongin. But people usually call me Kai,”

The littleboy looked at Kai before took it.

“My name is Jonghoon, but everybody calls me Hoon,”

“We’re not strangers anymore. So, will you tell me the reason?”

“They mocked me for not having father to come on Father’s Day tomorrow,”

“You don’t have father? Is he died?”

“Omma said he left us when she had me. Until now, I never know my father,”

Kai nodded in agreement. What kind of father that leave this smart and nice son?

“You were beaten pretty bad. You want me to send you home?”

“No need. My uncle will fetch me here. Moreover we just met, what would I do if you kidnapped me?”

He laughed again for Hoon's straight answer

“Don’t think bad about me. I’m not a bad person,”

“Well, omma said so,”

“You’re really close to your mother, aren’t you? May I know her name?”

“If you planned to go out with her, I wouldn’t let you,”

“I only want to meet her. Your mother is lucky to have you as her son,”

“I know,”

There was silence between them before Hoon finally looked at him.

“My mother’s name is…,”

“Hoon-ah!” called someone from distance.

They both saw the same direction and Hoon ran to it.

“Ahjussi, thanks for helping me. I’ll go first,”

Kai nodded and said goodbye to Hoon. From distance he barely could see Hoon's uncle's face. The same person as the person who served him last time at the restaurant. It couldn't be...

Kai tried to chase the car but couldn't do it since the car already slipped away. Still he could remember the car plate number.

“Mr. Kang, I have additional info about her,”