Chapter 32 - Jeju Island High School Reunion Batch 2008

One More Chance

 

 Chapter 32

 

Dara’s POV

 

 

“Good luck with your journey. Take care of the ring.” 

 

 

A sudden chills run down my spine when those words from aunt Gummy registered again in my mind. 

 

My heart was pounding so fast and I had goosebumps all over my body. 

 

“Is it just a coincidence? Is she...talking about this ring? No way. Just no way.” I shook my head repeatedly, trying to think straight while looking at my ring finger. “Is she for real? No, what am I talking about? Fortune tellers are not real. They are bogus! There is no way she could’ve really seen what would happen in the future. This is freaking me out. I think I’m going crazy.” I said to myself panicking. 

 

“Breathe in, breathe out. Try to focus, Dara. Pull yourself together.”

 

Flashback of aunt Gummy’s spine chilling looks and our conversations replayed to my head again.

 

“How are you, Dara? How’s your eyes?”

“You look pale and weak. You’re eyes is not looking good. You have to take care of yourself more.”

“Do you want me to tell your fortune? I’ll do it for free. Just try me.” 

“You should’ve not come back here. I see a very dark past surrounding you. You just complicate everything.. Faith is testing you how long you could endure all of this. I don’t see anything good. You have to be careful. Something really bad would happened if you don’t.”

 

 

*Buzz* buzz*

 

I snapped out from my trance when my phone suddenly vibrated. My heart skipped a beat when I saw a text message from Donghae. 

 

“What does he want now?!” I asked myself and let out a nervous sigh

I stare at my phone specifically at his name for who knows how long. I wonder what he was thinking right now. He must be upset seeing me wearing this again. This ring that symbolizes his love but then I returned back and abandoned it five years ago. He probably thought I am assuming too much because of our secret deal. I pressed his name on my phone to read it with my eyes half-closed. I slowly opened my eyes squinting as I read it.

 

“So you’re my one true love now?🙀🧜🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️💒🧚🏼‍♂️💍“

 

“Haist! Seriously?! He even got the time to joke around and annoy me. True love his face.” I said biting my lips to control my giddy smile. Aunt Gummy’s words about true love and her weird logic comparing it to a pair of socks suddenly popped into my head.

 

 

“Dara, do you know the saying true love is like a pair of socks? You have to have two and they have to match. If they don’t, then they are not really meant for each other.” 

 

 

Bom words about the eternity ring flashes back to me, “You’re ring, Yoona! That’s an eternity ring! Madame Gummy especially made that. She said only if it’s true love then the eternity ring will hold on tightly to that person wearing it.” 

 

 

I put my left hand up in the air while looking at the ring.

“True love? Yes, He is my true love and I...

will do anything to make him happy even losing him forever for his own sake.” I said to myself with a sigh before I put it close to my heart as I remembered the happiest day yet the saddest night in my life.

 

 

~ Flashback ~

 

"You, pabo rabbit. Do you know how nervous I was a while ago when I proposed to you in front of many people?!! I thought you were  really going to turned me down. You have no idea how hard I've been through just to prepare for this special day. Also, to get that eternity ring in your ring finger." Donghae cutely complained before they went to the bed.

 

 

 

"You know you don't have to prepare those stuff for me, fishboy. Just to be with you is enough for me." Dara said with a small smile but sadness in her voice.

 

 

 

"Pffft.. You've been very busy lately. You didn't even call me when you were in Jeju. I don't think you even miss me. Oh well, you know what, I usually don't believe to this kind of stuff, but..." Donghae said as he held Dara's hand, caressing the eternity ring on her finger.

 

 

"Huh? What is that?" Dara replied.

 

 

"You know what the designer of this ring told me? She said if I gave this to my one and only true love, the eternity ring will hold on tightly to that person." Donghae said smiling.

 

 

 

"Tsk. Really? Do you really believe that?" Dara asked, letting a small smile on her lips.

 

 

 

"Of course! So you better make sure you will take good care of this. You will never ever take this ring off again, rabbit. Ha ha ha! No return, no exchange! You are mine now forever." Donghae said before he kissed her hand. "It really fits your hand, my true love." He added, smiling cheerfully while looking at the eternity ring.

 

-End of Flashback-

 

 

That was the night before I left him...

My heart suddenly constricted painfully as those memories repeated back to my mind.

 

~~

 

Author’s POV

 

 

Dara couldn’t sleep that night despite her efforts. She tossed and turned around the bed but her mind just couldn’t stop thinking about the ring she was wearing and what madame Gummy told her earlier this morning. She turned to her side facing Yoona and stared at her while she was sleeping. 

 

Her face looked so kind and innocent. She’s very beautiful as always even when she’s sleeping. Donghae is very lucky to have her. Dara said to herself. 

 

“Thank you, Yoona” She whispered softly while staring at her. “ Thank you for saving him. Thank you for loving him as much as I do...

 I’m sorry for everything.” She added with a teary eyes.

 

 

Dara’s Flashback <<<<—-

 

 

I felt my foot step became heavier and heavier as I walked towards the entrance of Jeju High School.

It was my first day attending the school and I was so nervous as I didn’t know anyone yet. I had been always shy and introvert ever since I remember. I grew up with Donghae and Siwon and they were always next to me during my grade school years so I didn’t find it hard like this to make new friends. 

 

As I walked closer and closer to my classroom, the more loneliness I felt inside, the more I wanted to see Donghae. If only my dad didn’t force me to stay with my mom for the meantime, I would’ve been spending my high school years in Seoul with him. I wondered what was he doing and If he was missing me too. It was only few days since I arrived to Jeju and I already wished time passed by quick so I could come back again to Seoul to be with him.

 

As soon I reached the classroom, I looked for my last name in the attendance list. I scanned through each letter until I reach letter P. 

 

“Park, Sandara.” I read my name out loud while pointing at the paper. “I’m in section B. Here I come.” I let out a nervous sigh before I entered the classroom. I went directly to an empty seat at the back of the room next to the window. 

 

Seats were started to fill up one by one. All of classmates were loud and happy to see their friends and their seat mates. They seemed to know each other from grade school. I felt so out of place. I missed my old classmates. I missed Seoul. I missed Donghae.

 

“Excuse me, classmate. Is this seat taken?” A voice from a young guy classmate asked me. I glanced up and nodded at him. He is a skinny guy with a big eye glasses. He sat next to me and opened his book right away. 

 

He must be very smart, I said to myself.

 

The teacher arrived and everyone stood up and greeted her. 

 

“Good morning, teacher!”

 

“Good morning class. I will be your teacher from now on. My name is Amber Liu. I will be calling out names for attendance.” 

 

The teacher started calling out names for attendance by alphabetical order. Every name she called were present so far except when she mentioned...

 

 

“Im Yoona?” 

 

She did not answer.

 

“Yoona? Are you here?” Teacher Amber called her again.

 

“Is she late again?” She added.

 

 

“Teacher! I am Yoona! 

I’m here! I am present!” 

 

 

A young girl running from a far yelled out. “I’m here! Phew!” She added while gasping from air and holding her knees when she arrived. She smiled at the girls in the front who were waving at her.

 

“Of course... Try arriving earlier than this, Im Yoona. You haven’t changed at all.” The teacher said while marking her name.

 

“Yes, teacher. Sorry. It won’t happen again.” Yoona apologizes.

 

“You already said that last year.” teacher Amber teases her and everyone laughed. “Okay, Jang, Wooyoung!”

she continued calling again for attendance.

 

“Present!” 

 

 

“Kim, Jaejoong!” 

 

“I’m here!” My seat mate answered back

 

“Ok, Taecyon!” 

 

“Present!” Taecyon answered back

 

 

“Park, Sandara?” 

 

“Present!” I said in a louder voice.

 

“Sandara, you’re new right? Why don’t you introduce yourself to your classmate.” Teacher Amber asked me. My heart started pounding nervously when everyone looked at me.

 

I stood up from my seat. Hi, my name is Sandara Park. Yo-you can call me Dara for short. I and I came from Seoul. I’m staying in my mother’s house while i am here. It is nice to meet you all.” I said stuttering nervously.

 

“It’s nice to meet you, Dara. Welcome to Jeju Island.” The teacher said and greeted me warmly. She finished calling out for attendance and started with our Biology class.

 

 

“Okay, class. For our biology class, I need you all to partner up by two. The two of you will work together for all the assignments and projects in Biology class throughout the school year. You better choose a partner that would be compatible to you and dependable as I would grade you not individually but by the work that you and your partner work together. Okay?” Teacher Amber explained to the class. All my classmates started to partner up. I scanned around with my eyes while thinking how would I asked anyone to be my partner. All of them started partnering up and I felt really shy and out of place.

 

“Hi Dara, can I be your partner in Biology?” A voice in front of me said startling me. “My name is Im Yoona, by the way. You can call me Yoona for short.” She added, smiling at me.

 

I immediately stood up from my seat awkwardly, “Y-yes, thank you for asking me.” I said, smiling back at her. 

 

“Perfect! Why are you sitting at the back? Let’s go in the front. Don’t be shy. I’ll introduce you to my girls.” Yoona said grabbing my bag and dragging me to the front row.

 

“Girls! This is Dara! I’ll be her Biology partner from now on.” Yoona said to them. “Dara, this is Taeyon, Sunny, Sooyoung, Hyoyeon, Tifanny, and Seohyun.” 

 

“Hi, Dara! Nice to meet you.” All of them greeted me warmly.

 

“Dara, if you have any questions about our school, please don’t hesitate to ask us, okay?” Taeyon added

 

“Welcome to Jeju, Dara. Let’s hang out after school. Lets go shopping or to the amusement park. Let’s enjoy our high school life! I just can’t wait for our prom!” Tifanny said cheerfully.

 

“Thank you.” I said to them smiling shyly.

 

“Sorry girls, me and Dara will be busy doing our projects and assignments.” Yoona said. “Tifanny, prom is still far! We’re only freshmen, we still have three more years! Tsk! Anyway, Dara, let’s go to my house after school. I’ll introduce you to my parents. I’m sure they will like you. Don't worry i'll tour you around Jeju after our assignments and projects are done. I can’t wait!” Yoona said excitedly.

 

~~

 

“This is not fun at all.” Yoona sighed, complaining to me while we were dissecting a frog for our biology project.

“Stop complaining, Yoona. Pass me that cutter, please? Her skin is so thick. I can’t get through inside.” I told her while trying to dissect the poor frog

“Dara, can you promise me when we get married we’ll be each other’s maid of honor, okay?” Yoona said while passing me the cutter.

“Seriously, Yoona? Do we have to talk about that while doing this gross stuff?!” I said while trying to cut the abdomen of the frog. 

“Come on, Dara...I’m trying to lighten the mood here. Just promise me, okay?!” Yoona said pouting.

“Okay, promise! Just hold the skin tight. This is harder than I thought.” I said to her with a sigh.

“Sigh, this is really boring...and gross. Anyway, have you watched All About Eve last night? Young-mi is so annoying! She is a psycho and a boyfriend stealer. What if it happened to us, Dara? What if we liked the same person? Omo, promise me, Dara, nothing will destroy our friendship okay most especially if it’s just boys.”

“What are you talking about now?! Just help me cutting this if you’re bored.” I told her with another sigh

“I know that would be impossible since you already have your Fishboy, but in case it happened I wouldn’t trade our friendship over anything else. I hope you do the same, promise?” Yoona said with a smile 

“Tsk.. okay, me too. I promise.” I said to her smiling back. “Whoa! It went in!” I said when I finally dissected the frog in half.

“Ewww...it’s so gross. I don’t think I can eat later at all.” Yoona said while looking at the poor frog with slimy green blood oozing out the abdomen.

 

~~End of Flashback~~

 

 

Tears started to fall from Dara’s eyes as she stared at Yoona’s face. She fixed and tucked her in her blanket before she decided to get up to get a glass of water. 

 

“Oh! Yeah~ don’t stop~faster! Oh my gosh! Faster! Oh yeah~ oh gosh! Ohhh ye—!” Bom immediately stop when Top saw Dara. They quickly stood up and put their clothes back on.

 

Dara immediately covered her eyes when she saw Bom and Top on top of the kitchen counter while doing their private thing. 

 

“Opps! Sorry! But seriously guys?! Do it in your room!” Dara told them with her eyes close. She turned her back to go back upstairs but she hit her head into something.

 

“Pfft! Why are you guys still awake at this time anyway?! You two are planning to do something too, aren’t you?! Yieee!” Bom said teasing.

 

Dara slowly glanced up and saw Donghae in front of her. Her face became flushed and her heart suddenly beat faster. “No way!" Dara said, avoiding Donghae’s eyes. She immediately turned back the opposite way facing towards the fridge. 

 

“Let’s go, Yeobo. Let’s leave them alone. I’m not done with you yet. Grrhhh!” Top said playfully.

 

“Okay.” Bom said while glaring at Dara and Donghae while walking passed at them, gesturing with repeated motions of pointing her eyes and towards the two of them.

 

“Tsk.” Dara said shaking her head, completely ignoring Donghae. She opened the fridge and chugged a glass of water. She re-filled her glass with water again and drank it in one shot. When she saw Donghae coming closer in her peripheral vision, she took another glass of water and gulped it down like there’s no tomorrow.

 

“Are you that thirsty?” Donghae asked Dara curiously while looking at her chugging the glass of water.

 

“Why don’t you mind your own business?!” Dara said in reply when she finished chugging the water.

 

“Why aren’t you sleeping yet by the way? Why didn’t you reply to my text message?” He asked again.

 

“Why do you ask too many quest—?!” Dara said with annoyed voice when Donghae suddenly cut him off by pressing his lips against Dara.

 

“Why did you—?” Dara asked again but Donghae cut her off by kissing her again. He looked at her with their lips still pressing each other. Her eyes were widely open.

 "I think we both need that so we could sleep.” Donghae said with a wink after he removed his lips from the kiss. “Good night.” He added waving at Dara playfully while stretching out as he headed back to his room.

 

Dara stood frozen to her spot as she watched his back. “Tsk! Why don’t she kiss her fiancé! Stupid fish.” Dara said to herself. She bit her lips to control her smile from forming in her lips. 

 

~~

 

The next morning Yoona and Dara were set to go to their small High school reunion. Yoona invited the rest to go with them and they all agreed. When they arrived to Jeju High School, Yoona and Dara excitedly toured them around their old classroom, cafeteria, gymnasium, and their hang out place. 

 

“Everything looked the same as they were before. I felt like I never left at all.” Yoona said with her teary eyes. “Dara, this is like the old times. Everything looks the same.” Yoona added reminiscing old times.

 

“I know! I remember when I first attended high school here. Nothing change at all. I feel like I returned back to the past.” Dara said with her eyes closed.

 

“Dara! Yoona!” A female voice called them from a far.

 

Dara and Yoona looked at her from a far and saw four girls waving at them excitedly as they came closer.  

 

“Taeyon! Hyoyeon! Sooyoung! Tifanny!” Yoona shouted excitedly while running towards them like a little kid. Dara followed Yoona and the girls hugged each other excitedly.

 

“Omg! Long time no see girls!” Yoona said to them as they jumped around happily.

“Omo! This feels just like old times.” Tifanny said cheerfully 

“OMG! We are late! Let’s catch up later. Let’s go to the gymnasium! We prepared something for you girls.” Taeyon added excitedly.

“Let’s go!” Hyoyeon and Sooyoung said in sync while dragging Dara and Yoona towards the gymnasium.

“Wait, our friends are with us at the back.” Yoona and Dara said while pointing to Bom, Top, and Donghae who were about ten feet away from them.

“I got them!” Tifanny said running towards them before she said, “So who is the lucky groom?” She asked playfully.

 

~~

 

As soon as they entered the gymnasium, Yoona and Dara were astounded when they saw their old classmates clapping their hands while cheering for them. The stage were decorated with flowers and a big beautiful banner with a print “HIGH SCHOOL REUNION SECTION B BATCH 2008” 

 

 

 Hyoyeon suddenly dragged Dara up to the stage out of no where and put a flower crown on her head. Seohyun did the same with Donghae giving him a bouquet of flower and pushed him next to her on the stage. 

 

Their classmates cheers grew louder and louder when the two were just inches away from each other.

 

“Ladies and gentlemen! Let’s congratulate our future Bride and Groom!” Sunny said over the microphone. “Congratulations! Best wishes! Cheers!” She added 

 

“Congratulations!”

“Best wishes!”

“Kiss the bride! Kiss the bride!” Their classmates cheered or them.

 

Dara and Donghae looked at each other awkwardly. Both were shocked and clueless as Hyoyeon and Seohyun playfully pushing them more closer to each other. 

 

Seohyun whispered to Donghae to give Dara the bouquet of flowers he was holding.

 

Donghae handed it to Dara awkwardly. Dara immediately shook her head and said, “Wait! No!” Dara said panicking. She tried to speak but the crowd was too noisy. She grabbed the microphone from Sunny and started to talk nervously, “Umm.. Hi.. umm.. listen guys... I’m not the bride! It is Yoona, not me. Yoona! Come up here!” Dara said awkwardly while asking Yoona to come up to the stage. She took off the flower crown on her head and went down the stage towards Yoona.

 

“Wait, are you serious?” Sunny asked looking at both of them. Donghae nodded awkwardly at her. “Oops..sorry!” Sunny added with her apologetic expression. Seohyun covered shocked at their mistakes.

“I’m sorry. It’s my fault. I saw Dara wearing a ring so I thought she was the bride.” Hyoyeon said gesturing a peace sign with her hand.

“It’s okay! it’s a long story but Yoona is the one who is getting married not me.” Dara said while putting the flower crown on Yoona’s head. Dara looked at Yoona awkwardly and gestured her to go up to the stage. 

 

Taeyon hit her head softly while shaking her head as she looked at the girls with embarrassment.

Tifanny laughed at their honest mistake.

 

Bom elbowed Dara and whispered, “You should have seen your face. That was really fun to watch.” She teases. 

“If you saw Yoona’s face, oh my gosh. She looked so jealous when you and Donghae stared at each other.” She added avoiding Dara’s glare.

 

Dara looked at Bom worriedly. “Was she? Ottoke?!” She bit her lower lip while watching Yoona went up to the stage. 

 

Yoona walked to the stage like a model and playfully waved at the crowd like she was in a pageant. Everyone laughed and cheered for her. “Yoona!!! Congrats! Kiss the bride! Kiss the bride!” Their old classmates cheered for her.

 

Donghae back hugged Yoona as Hyoyeon and Seohyun playfully pushes him to her. Yoona looked at him smiling while embracing her.

 The two of them kissed passionately, pleasing the crowd more.

 

“Best wishes! Congratulations to the bride and groom!” Sunny and the crowd cheered for them.

 

Dara let out a sigh of relief. She watched them with a small smile but deep in side, her heart was aching. She convinced herself that she should be happy for them but her heart was so stubborn as it was crying in pain. She couldn’t help but to think she should’ve been the one in her position right now if only she didn’t leave him. She should’ve been the one embracing and kissing him if only...she didn’t have her illness. 

 

Dara shook her head to erase her thoughts. She smiled at them clapping her hands, cheering both of them.

 

 

~~

 

The mini reunion was successful despite of that confusion at the beginning. Yoona was so grateful for them giving her a bridal shower in their reunion and their warm wishes for her and Donghae. 

 

The reunion was still in progress as they all started eating while reminiscing about their past high school memories.

 

“So I can’t believe Yoona will get married first before us.” Sunny said playfully to Yoona 

“Me too. I can’t believe I’m getting married at all!” Yoona said with smile from ear to ear 

“Donghae is so handsome! I’m sure your babies will be so beautiful.” Seohyun added

“Yeah.. even his brother is so good looking. Is he still single?” Tifanny asked curiously while watching him eating korean bbq on the bleachers.

“I don’t know.” Yoona said with an easy shrug

“I think he still single.” Dara said in reply while looking at him.

“Really?” Tifanny asked with excitement in her eyes

“Oh, please. Dara and Siwon are a thing, Tifanny. They knew each other since they were classmate in grade school. Dara is just shy to tell you. Don’t even try.” Yoona said rolling her eyes

“Dara, is that true?” Tifanny said pouting

“No, not at all. We’re just friends promise. He is very kind and gentleman. If you would ask me his flaws, I couldn’t even think of any. Why don’t you talk to him?” She said with encouragement 

“Are you sure you don’t like him, promise?”

“No, not at all. I promise. He is just a friend.” Dara said shaking her head

“Okay! I’ll talk to him.” Tifanny said smiling while staring at him.

“Just be careful of him Tiffany. He is such a player. He is only kind and gentleman to Dara.”  Yoona said before letting out a sigh.

“Why do I feel like there’s something between you and Siwon, Yoona? You need to relax. I’m just gonna talk to him.” Tifanny said with her furrowed brow.

 

“Eww.. of course not! Just my observation and a friendly advise.” Yoona said with a pout.

 

“Don’t worry. I know how to tame those guys. Just watch and learn.” Tifanny said with a wink before she walked towards Siwon.

Siwon immediately stood up when Tifanny started talking to him.

 

“See? They look good together.” Dara said while watching at Siwon and Tifanny talking and laughing at each other.

“He is such a player.” Yoona said inwardly 

“Huh?” Dara asked looking at Yoona

“Yeah, they look good.” She repeated 

“Yeah, they seemed to click immediately.” Sunny added, “how about you, Dara? When are you getting married?” 

“Umm..it’s not in my plan yet.” Dara said in reply.

“Tsk.. is it still your Fishboy? Where is he? Why did you not bring him here?” Seohyun asked

“It’s a long story.” Dara said smiling 

“You’re always saying that, Dara. Just tell us. Make that long story short.” Seohyun insisted

“She doesn’t even tell me about her Fishboy, Seohyun. Dara is very secretive ever since when it comes to him. It’s so unfair knowing she’s my maid of honor.” Yoona pouted making Dara felt guilty.

 

Dara just chuckled nervously.

 

“Hon! They want to take pictures.” Donghae said calling Yoona from a far.

 

 

“Let’s go girls! Let’s take some pictures.” Yoona said excitedly. 

 

“Okay!” Sunny and Seohyun said in sync

 

“Go ahead. I’ll eat first.” Dara said with a sigh of relief 

 

~~

 

 

Meanwhile, Donghae, Bom, and Top were all eating on the other side. 

 

Taecyon with another guy classmate came to them to greet Donghae.

 

“Hey bro.. congratulations. My name is Wooyung. You’re such a lucky guy. I’ve always been a fan of Yoona ever since grade school and I can’t believe she is getting married already.”  Wooyoung said shaking Donghae’s hand.

 

“Hey! Look how famous Yoona here. You better take care of her or I would definitely hurt you.” Taecyon said threatening Donghae.

 

 

“Yah! Stop it Taecyon. You’ll never ever even in your dreams would have any chance with Yoona anyway so stop dreaming and threatening Donghae. Anyway, I’m Taeyon. I’m one of Yoona’s friend. I’m sorry about the mixed up earlier. It’s really an honest mistake.” Taeyon said apologizing to Donghae.

 

 

“No, it’s okay. It’s fine! It’s an honest mistake.” Donghae said politely in reply.

 

“Yeahh...sorry, its was my fault. I don’t know why I thought Dara was the one whose getting married. It’s very strange. Besides the ring, I suddenly remembered her Fishboy. I really thought she would get married first before Yoona. Haha!” Hyoyeon said biting her lower lip awkwardly.

“His Fishboy?” Bom asked butting in the conversation 

“Yeah, do you know him? She always talked about him when we were in high school. She even showed his picture on her Cyworld before but I don’t remember his face anymore. I don’t know what has gotten to me.” Hyoyeon replied back.

 

“Ohhh...maybe he looks like Donghae.” Bom said playfully while eating and glancing at Donghae secretly.

 

“Maybe.” Hyoyeon said with a chuckle

 

“At least Dara is still single. My heart dropped when I heard she’s getting married at first. I’ve always had a secret crush on her.” Wooyoung said smiling.

 

“Tsk.. stop dreaming both of you. I think you two need to see the a psych or something for reality check.. haha!
Why don’t we just take pictures for souvenirs with the bride and groom of course.” Taeyon suggested.

“Let’s call everyone. Group pictures! Where is the future bride?" Hyoyeon asked.

 

"Donghae, can you look for Yoona? ” Taeyon asked

 

Donghae nodded and went to other side to call her.

 

 

~~

 

 

Dara went outside quietly for the meantime to get some fresh air to help her clear her mind and calm her heart. She sat down on the grass under a big tree in front of the gymnasium. She took a deep breath before letting out a heavy sigh. She scanned around her surroundings with her sad eyes.
 

Everything looks the same but the vibes feels so different.” Dara thought with a small smile.

 

Dara closed her eyes while she reminisced the past with her broken heart. She remembered sitting down at the same spot, counting down the days until she could finally go back home to see Donghae. Who would’ve thought that person would be here at her old high school were she used to day-dreamed about him coming here to get her, although it hurts to know he is not here for her at all. She struggled with her emotions as she tried hard to control her stubborn heart. 

 

“Excuse me? Umm, do you know where did they hold the high school reunion? Is it in the gym? I’m so late. Are they still there?” A voice from a guy startled Dara which snapped her out from spacing out.

 

“Aigoo, you scared me." Dara said holding her chest. "Yeah, they are all in the gym. They are still there. They’re eating right now. Go there and have some food.” Dara said with a smile while pointing to the gym from her spot.

 

“Is it...you, Dara?” The guy asked smiling back. “It’s really you! You still hasn't changed at all." he added excitedly.

 

Dara gazed at him from head to toe trying to remember his face. The guy was tall and good-looking with a neat haircut. His eyes and face looked familiar to her but her brain couldn’t figure who he was. 

 

 

“It’s me. Kim Jaejoong. The nerd guy. The one who wore big eye glasses who sat next to you at the backseat of the class.” Jaejoong said describing himself when he saw Dara trying hard to figure out who he was.

 

“Kim...Jaejoong? Oh!! Kim,Jaejoong?! No way! Is it really you?! Where is your big eye glasses?! Omo! It’s really you!” Dara said astonished at his drastic change in appearance. 

 

“Haha! I still wear it sometimes. How are you? I heard you and Yoona are coming so I decided to come as well.” Jaejoong said smiling. “Can I sit with you? I’m not hungry yet and I want to catch up with you.” He added.

 

“Of course! This is your old spot too anyway. Wow. I can’t believe it’s really you. You look so handsome, promise!” Dara said with a chuckle with her right hand in the air when she said the word promise.

 

“Okay, I'm gonna get my old spot back. Haha! I'm handsome? Really? Then why are you laughing? Is that a joke?” Jaejoong teases 

 

“No, it’s just I remembered how you were being teased by our classmates because you were so...I don’t know what’s the word for that...” Dara said biting her lower lip

 

“Weird? Nerd? Boring? Geek? Dull? What other words do you want?” Jaejoong said laughing 

 

“Yeah, like those words.” Dara said in reply, laughing. “As usual smarty pants, so what’s new with you? Are you what now? A lawyer? A Doctor? A Teacher? You must be a teacher. Are you?” Dara asked curiously.

 

“Yeah, I’m a Math teacher here.” Jaejoong said shyly.

 

“Wow! I knew it! I knew you would be a teacher. You’re so good when you always help us understand our math assignments before. It was hard but you made it so easy. I’m so proud of you.” Dara said clapping with a serious expression making Jaejoong laughed more.

 

“Thank you. Thank you. I appreciate it. Haha! Enough with me. How are you? How’s your Fishboy?” Jaejoong asked Dara all of a sudden.

 

“Huh? Hahaha! Who is that?” Dara awkwardly said. “Umm.. are you sure you’re not hungry yet? They are all in the gym, eating right now. They prepared some good foods and I’m sure they would be surprised if they saw you.” She said changing the topic.

 

“Really.. hmmm... L.Q again?" Jaejoong said pretending to think deeply while touching his chin. "Do you remember when we were sitting here at this same spot on a Valentine’s Day? You were waiting for him to greet you on your phone and you borrowed my laptop to stalk his Cyworld account?” Jaejoong said to Dara playfully, quickly averting his eyes with a smirk when Dara glared at him.

 

“Tsk! Of all things, why do you still remember that?!” Dara asked with her lips curved into a sad smile.

 

 

-Dara’s Flashback-

 

It was a sunny yet cold day on February 14 of 2005. As soon as I woke up I looked at my phone checking if he ever called or texted me, especially it’s the V-Day, the day I’ve been always looking forward to. Last year was the best Valentine’s Day I ever had so far before I moved to Jeju Island. Donghae and I spent that day together and the end of the day he sneaked in to my room to give me a flower he stole from our neighbor backyard. I wasn't expecting that much since we were just eight grade at that time.
 

On that day, he promised me he wouldn’t forget to greet me every Valentine's Day, especially when I moved to Jeju.

 

I couldn’t focus at class as I waited for him to greet me on the phone like he promised but nothing...yet. I still didn't give up and waited for his call.

 

During lunch break, I went outside to my usual hang out place. It was in front of the gymnasium under a big tree. I sat down and leaned back against the tree while waiting for my phone to ring desperately. 

 

I looked at the back of the tree and as usual I saw my classmate Jaejoong sitting on his same spot against the tree right behind me while doing something on his laptop. 

 

“Hi Jaejoong.” I greeted him when he caught me looking at him

“Hello, Dara.” He said without looking at me, still typing on his laptop.

 

I let out a heavy sigh as I looked at my phone still waiting.

 

“Are you waiting for someone to greet you for Valentine’s Day?” He asked me

 

“No.” I replied, denying it. “Haist...Yes, but he still hasn't called yet." I said with a sigh

"Anyway, what are you typing? Do we have assignment?" I asked him.

 

“I’m finishing up my dissertation paper in advance so I could pass it right away.” Jaejoong replied while typing on his laptop hastily.

 

“What paper? You mean our thesis? Isn’t it due next year? Wow! You’re so advance.” I said to him with a surprised expression. “You’re such a hardworking and dedicated student. I’m sure you’ll be very successful someday.” I added

 

“Thank you.” Jaejoong said still typing on his laptop.

 

“Can I asked you something since you’re very smart?”

 

“Anything as long as it’s not a stupid question.”

 

“Haist! I think it’s a stupid question.” I said pouting

 

“Okay. Is it about that person who always call you during lunch break? That Fishboy?” He asked being a smarty pants

 

“Whoa! how do you know that? You’re really smart! Were you eavesdropping on me while I was talking to him?”

 

“I have ears and I could hear you from here. Honestly, it was annoying listening to your voice and your conversation on the phone everyday but I couldn’t do anything since I don’t own this tree.” He said coldly

 

“Tsk... whatever.. But why do you think he hasn’t called me yet especially on a Valentine’s Day?! He is so dense! He probably does this on purpose to annoy me, right?

or maybe he just forgot. Should I call him first to greet me although he promise he would call me? Haist! Do you have Cyworld on your laptop? Can I check my account very quick, please?” I asked begging Jaejoong.

 

Jaejoong let out a sigh and gave me his laptop.

 

I logged in on my Cyworld account and checked if Donghae greeted me on there but he did not. I browsed at my newsfeed and saw Donghae was online

and he greeted another girl a happy Valentine’s Day with a symbol heart at the end!

 

“What a jerk?! He was active on cyworld three minutes ago and he greeted some girl! That fish! He has the nerve! That’s why he forgot about me! He is such a jerk!" I said to myself really annoyed slamming the laptop closed.

 

“Yah! My laptop!” Jaejoong yelled at me, worriedly looking at his laptop. He grabbed it from my hand and examined it thoroughly.

 

“Opps! I’m sorry!” I said biting my lower lip feeling guilty to what I've done to his laptop.

 

“Haist!” Jaejoong groaned with annoyed expression while doing some test to check if his laptop was okay.

 

“Did I break it? Is it still working?” I asked him in panic. “I’m really sorry. I did not mean to do that.” I asked hitting my head gently.

 

“Yeah, thank God. Haist! I thought my thesis was gone. What’s up with all the people today?! It’s just an ordinary day. It’s not even a holiday! Valentine’s Day is just for little girls who loves to whine over a guy they like because they are expecting too much for nothing. Those people who are hopelessly romantic because they don’t know how to use their brain at all!” Jaejoong said with exasperated sigh

 

“Yeah, you’re right. I’m sorry.” I said with a sad smile. His words struck me bullseye in my heart and it hurts so bad to hear the truth.

 

He looked at me feeling guilty. He let out another sigh. “Just don’t think about him. If he doesn’t treat you right then he doesn’t deserve you.  Besides, I’m sure there are a lot of guys out there who wants to greet you on this day. Don’t let him ruin this day for you.” He said with his guilty expression.

 

I remained quiet as tear started to fill my eyes.

 

He let out another sigh before he logged in on his account. 

 

——————

@Kim, Jaejoong: Happy valentine day~🙈^^

——————

 

“Looked someone greeted you.” He said giving me his laptop again.

 

“Huh? Who? Is this you?” I asked him when I see his name. He smiled at me shyly and I couldn’t help but to smile for his effort.

“You’re so cute. Thank you.” I told him.

 

His face suddenly turned red. “Let me greet you too so it’s fair.” I said to him smiling as I logged in again in my account. 

 

——————

@Park, Sandara: Happy hearts day<3 ^^

——————

 

“Look, I greeted you back.” I said showing him my greeting on his Cyworld account and we both laughed at our silliness.

 

 

*Ring* *Ring* 

 

 

My heart suddenly skipped a beat when I heard my phone rang. I saw Donghae finally called me. 

 

“Look! He is calling me now!” I told him excitedly.

 

 

Jaejoong smiled back at me.
"Thank you." I said to him before I answered Donghae’s call.

 

End of flashback

 

~~

 

“Why am I so stupid at that time?” Dara asked Jaejoong 

 

Jaejoong couldn’t help but to laugh. “You just realized that?” He teases

 

“Yah!” 

 

“So you’re saying, you’re not stupid anymore?” Jaejoong asked teasing

 

Dara took a deep breath and smiled sadly, “Unfortunately, I think I'm still is.” Dara said with a small smile. 

 

He looked at me smiling back. “When are you leaving? Can I see you again?” Jaejoong asked me.

 

“Ohhh.. I would love to but we’re leaving tomorrow night.” Dara said in reply.

 

“Oh.. that’s too bad." Jaejoong replied with a small smile.

 

“Dara! Why are you there? Come on let’s go inside. They want to take a group picture!” Yoona yelled out waving at her when she saw Dara under the tree. 

 

Yoona saw the familiar guy next to her so she came closer to look at him. “Wait, Who is he? He looks so familiar.” Yoona asked staring at Jaejoong.

 

“I know! Guess who is he?!” Dara asked Yoona excitedly

 

“Omo! Is that Jae, the nerd guy?" Yoona asked while looking at Jaejoong.

 

“Wow... You’re so good Yoona! I didn’t even recognize him that quick.” 

 

“Jae, the nerd guy..." Jaejoong repeated with a chuckle. “Yeah, it’s me! Haha! How are you Yoona? You still look the same...beautiful.” He added

 

“Wow, Jae. Thank you. You looked so good too. It’s so nice to see you again.” Yoona replied still staring at him with a smile. 

 

Meanwhile, Donghae saw the three outside and decided to come close to call them as they were all looking for them for group pictures.

 

“Hon! Dara! You’re classmates are calling the two of you for picture taking.” Donghae said to them when he reached the tree.

 

“Yeah, I told Dara. Hon, this is Jaejoong, one of our classmates. He is the nerd guy but he looks so different now. Jae, this is Donghae, my fiancé.” Yoona said introducing Donghae to Jaejoong.

 

 

“Nice to meet you...Kim, Jaejoong?” Donghae said shaking Jaejoong hand. 

 

“Yeah...Kim, Jaejoong is my full name.

.... It’s nice to meet you too, Donghae.” Jaejoong said in reply confused on how he knew his last name. He shrugged it off thinking maybe Yoona mentioned it and he just didn’t hear it clearly. “You two looks so good together. Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.” He added

 

Dara avoided looking at Donghae which Jaejoong quickly caught. Donghae couldn’t help but to glare at Jaejoong unconsciously. 

 

“Okay, after you guys finish talking, let’s go inside and take some pictures. You know what....you two look good together too.” Yoona said teasing Dara and Jaejoong.

 

“Tsk! Stop it, Yoona.” Dara said with a force smile. "We'll be there inside in a minute." 

 

“Okay, see you inside!" She said with a wink, "Let’s go hon.” Yoona said holding Donghae hand as they walked back to the gymnasium.

 

“Hmm...you want to go inside now?” Dara asked Jaejoong. Jaejoong remained quiet and just stared at Dara curiously. 

 

“What now?” Dara asked him when she noticed Jaejoong was staring at her with his curious expression.

 

“Is that.... That’s very complicated, isn’t it? What happened to you guys?” He asked out of no where.

 

“Huh? What are you talking about?” Dara asked him with her confused eyes

 

“He is your Fishboy, isn’t he?” Jaejoong asked again making Dara's eyes bulge open wide.

 

“Yah! Hushh! What kind of nonsense are you talking about?!” Dara said hushing him while scanning around the area with her eyes in panic.

 

“What hush? You can’t fool me, Dara. Remember when you logged in to my laptop? I saw his picture. That’s him! Besides, I don’t remember Yoona mentioning my last name and he knew it. It’s probably because he saw it on my cyworld account when I greeted you on that Valentine’s Day. He still remembered that...he really is something else. Didn’t you see how he glared at me a while ago?! He is definitely jealous." Jaejoong said with a smirk while shaking his head as he thought of Donghae.

 

“W-what are you talking about?! No! Of course not. That’s a crazy thought! He is Yoona's fiancé! Don’t think too much. You're funny! Haha! You’re not as smarty pants as you think you are.” Dara said biting her lips in panic. “Let’s just go inside! You must be hungry because you’re saying delusional stuff already.” Dara said awkwardly.

 

"Come on! Let's go!" Dara added. She stood up before she walked hastily to the gym. "Haist! He should've been a detective instead. He is so smart. He is scary." Dara muttered while shaking her head.

 

Jaejoong stood up and cleaned the back of his pants while watching Dara walked back to the gym. "She never fails to amaze me." He said to himself while grinning from ear to ear.

 

~

Dara and Jaejoong entered the gymnasium and as soon as they arrived inside, both of them were called by their old classmates for group pictures. After the picture taking, Dara and Jaejoong decided to eat.

 

Dara gave Jaejoong a paper plate and a disposable utensils. Jaejoong helped Dara to get some foods in her plate and same with Dara on Jaejoong.

 

Their old classmates couldn’t help to notice how they looked so cute together.

 

Siwon couldn’t help but to stare at the guy next to Dara. Tifanny even noticed it. 

“He is Kim, Jaejoong. One of our classmate. He looks cute, right? He looked so different before. He was nerdy and geeky back in high school. I remembered how Dara argued and defended him with his bullies when they were teasing him because he was just very weird before. Now, he is a math teacher here.” Tifanny said to Siwon when she noticed that he was watching them together.

“By any chance, do you like Dara?” Tifanny asked Siwon curiously.

“Huh?” Siwon said smiling shyly. “I have a crush on her but just that. We’re just friends.” He added. “Why did you ask?"

“Well, it’s obvious that you’ve been staring at them. I also heard from Yoona that you and Dara were classmate before.” Tifanny said smiling at him with her eyes.

“Ohh.. she said that? yeah.. we were classmates back in grade school.” Siwon said in reply with a sweet smile

“Why don’t you ask her out? Are you contented to be just her friend?” Tifanny asked curiously.

“It’s complicated. Besides, she’ll never like me. I’m just happy of what we have right now.” He said with a sigh "How about you, Tifanny? Do you have a boyfriend? I'm sure you do. You're pretty and smart." Siwon asked with a smile.

"Actually, I don't have right now. Do you want to apply?" Tifanny teases him with a wink.

~~

 

“Okay, classmates! Batch 2008! Ladies and gentlemen! Let’s have some fun! Let’s play a game!” Sunny said over the microphone 

“Let’s play musical chairs! For those who don’t know the game it involves players, chairs, and a good music, with one fewer chair than players. When the music stops whichever player fails to sit on a chair is eliminated. One chair would be removed and the process repeated until only one player remains.

But that’s a boring game so let’s make it fun! Let’s give this moment to our lucky gentlemen and let them sit down on the chair while ladies play! The ladies dance around the boys with their y moves but when the music stops they’ll have to choose a lap to sit on until only one woman left standing. Whoever wins the game will win this hundred dollar gift card from our very own teacher Amber! Hurray!!!

It's unfortunate she couldn't make it today." Sunny added explaining the mechanics of the game and the prize.

 

Taeyon and Tifanny dragged Dara and Yoona to the center of the stage, insisting them to play. 

Seohyun and Hyoyeon also brought Donghae, Siwon, and Jaejoong to play with them.

The game started with Donghae, Siwon, Jaejoong, Taecyon, and Wooyoung sitting on the chairs in a circle while Yoona, Dara, Tifanny, Seohyun, Taeyon, and Hyoyeon were playing the musical chairs.

The music started and they all dance while they go around the boys. One by one the girls got eliminated until Yoona and Dara were the only two left standing with Donghae sitting on the chair. 

“Dara, you better be competitive on this game, okay?! Remember its a hundred dollars gift card! You, Yoona! Give us a good game! It’s a hundred dollars!” Sunny said cheering on them over the microphone. 

“Okay! Let’s get ready to rumble!!! In the red corner, weighing in at 120 pounds and the future bride to be! IM YOONA!!!!! 

And in the blue corner weighing in at 118 lbs and 

our underdog of the musical chair... PARK SANDARA!!!!

And tonight's prize? One hundred Dollars and the old chair with Donghae! Joke! He is already taken! Yoona will hurt me!" Sunny said playfully over the microphone. Their classmates started laughing and clapping their hands. Some were betting who would win the game.

“Yah! Dara, you better not let me win this so easy, okay? I need a good fight. May the best woman win.” Yoona said to Dara with a playful smile. 


Dara suddenly got nervous as everyone started to cheer for her because she was the underdog of the game. She looked around the gymnasium and saw Jaejoong with his meticulous eyes. If she got awkward to Donghae, he would think he is correct with his smarty theory. 
 

I better win this game, Dara thought to herself.

 

“Okay. I will win this for sure.” Dara said with confidence to Yoona.

 

The music started and the two ladies started to circle around Donghae. Donghae gulped nervously while waiting for the music to stop. 

He looked at the two girls who seemed to be both competitive against each other in this game. 

This game is so stupid, he said to himself. His heart was pounding so fast as everyone eyes were on them.

 

When the music finally stopped, Dara was able to quickly sit down on Donghae’s lap but Yoona accidentally pushed her making her almost fall to the floor. Fortunately, Donghae immediately caught her in mid air, lifting her lower back up as if they did a dip dance. The face of the two were almost inches apart. Dara with her surprised expression pushed Donghae back making him sat again on his chair. Dara looked awkwardly at Yoona who was standing still with cover with her both hands.


The gymnasium suddenly covered with a deafening silence.

 

Dara gulped nervously but she had to act cool as if she wasn't affected of what happened or else it would be so awkward. She looked at the crowd and asked, “Did I win?” 

 

Their classmates clapped their hands and started cheering again. 

 

“And the winner by unanimous decision is Sandara Park!” Sunny announced over the microphone before giving Dara the gift card.

 

To Be Continued >>>>