Chapter 25- Jeju Island part II

One More Chance
 
Chapter 25
 
Dara’s POV
 
“Dara, let’s visit our school tomorrow! When are you visiting your mom by the way?” Yoona asked me.
 
I’ve been trying to avoid that question. My dad and Minho asked me the same thing before I came back to Seoul. “Are you going to visit your mom as well? You have to. You must. She still your mom.” My dad’s voice saying those words kept echoing in my head.
 
Whenever I think of my childhood memories of my mom and dad, I always remember them fighting with each other. I saw my mom crying every night. She tried to to drown her thoughts with her so called magic drink. “Mommy, what are you drinking? Can I have some?” I asked as I found the color of the drink pretty. “This is not for kids. It’s my medication. A magic liquid to erase the pain here.” she told the innocent me while pointing in her heart.
 
She told me those jar of bottles were medicines to forget the pain and troubles she has. Little did a five year old me knew it wasn’t really a magic drink but those were liquors. I wouldn’t forget the smell of their bedroom, her clothes, and her breath. That’s how I always remember my mom.
 
One night after I came back from a trip with Donghae’s family in Busan, I saw my mom packing her things up, she told me she will be back for me, and so I waited...but she never did.
 
 
Everything changed after my mom left. I saw my dad crying secretly but I didn’t let him know I saw him vulnerable without her. My heart was in so much pain whenever I remember those days. I always go to Donghae’s house to hang out with him because whenever I’m in their house, that was the only time I could forget about my dad and mom.
 
When I graduated sixth grade, my dad told me my mom called him. She begged him to send me to Jeju Island because she misses me. He told me I should go and study high school there. I was completely against his decision but he told me my mom needs me. He promised me that after high school he would bring me back home.
 

“Omo! This house is so big. The kitchen is so huge! I like it.” Bom said excitedly. Her voice woke me up from my trance. Look! They have big swimming pool too!” She added while looking at the backyard. I was smiling looking around. Somehow this place makes me feel relax.

"Look, they have billiard table and karaoke machine too. Daebak!" Top excitedly said while checking out the basement.

I suddenly feel tired and the peaceful surrounding makes me feel sleepy so I asked, “How many rooms does this house have?” I asked so I could finally lay down in my bed and put my stuff away.

 

“I saw on the website they only have three rooms but don’t worry. All the rooms are big though.” Bom said smirking. I know that smile of her is not something I should trust. I knew she was planning something. We originally planned to stay over in Yoona’s house and Bom and Top booked a hotel but Bom suggested we should try to book in an Airbnb so we could all stay in one house together during the trip. Bom was the one who booked this house so I knew she would do something like this.

“What?!” I asked in a high pitch

“I booked just yesterday and everything that has more rooms were already unavailable. We’re still lucky to find at least with three rooms and the price is not bad at all.” She said

“I don’t think there’s any problem with that. Top and Bom will be in one room, Donghae hyung and Yoona in the 2nd room, and Dara and I would be in the third room.” Siwon suggested with a naughty smile.

 

“Deal!” Bom shouted playfully in response.

 

I let out a sigh of defeat while thinking of anything way out of this trouble. I was thinking maybe it’s wasn’t a bad idea to spend couple of nights with my mom’s house. At least I would not have to see him... I said while unconsciously glancing at Donghae and Yoona.

 

“Hon, why don’t you sleep with Dara-ssi while we’re here in Jeju. I’m sure you guys have a lot to catch up on.” Donghae said to Yoona with his deep voice echoing the whole house.

 

My heart pounds harder upon hearing his voice.

 

“Are you sure it’s okay, hon?” Yoona asked Donghae with a smile

“Of course, its just couple of nights.” He replied back

 

“Tsk. Killjoy.” Siwon muttered with a smirk. Donghae still heard him and gave him a glare.

 

“Okay, deal?” Bom asked me with her playful smile.

 

I let out a sigh and gave her a force smile.

 
 
Like what Bom said, the rooms are big and beautiful. The two rooms were upstairs and the third room was downstairs near the common bathroom. Bom and Top were on the first room near the stairs and our room was down the corner near the stairs going up to the attic. Siwon and Donghae’s room was downstairs. All the rooms have wooden furnitures and a big dresser with a modern style mirror on top and a nice painting on the wall. The bed is super big, soft and comfy. As soon as I finished unpacking my luggage, I lay down on the bed and took a long nap.
 
I woke up all of a sudden when I heard Yoona’s laughter in a low voice, almost whispering. "Hush!" she said quietly.
I tried to ignore her and went back to sleep but then she couldn’t help but laugh again then the
bed started shaking. I sat up on the bed and looked at her, there I saw Donghae and her tickling each other. I smelled liquor all over the place. I let out a sigh and immediately got out of the room. I heard Yoona shouted sorry to me as soon I left the room.
Seriously? They didn’t even think I was there...sleeping. Tsk. I said in annoyance. My chest hurt so bad when I saw them but I tried to ignore the pain. Pretending I was okay, I went downstairs to get a cold water. Top and Bom were singing and dancing loudly with the Karaoke. Bom asked me to sing but I declined. Top and Siwon were drinking alcohol with Taecyon, Yoona’s childhood friend in Jeju while playing billiards.
 
I went to the backyard to get some fresh air. I inhaled and exhaled deeply and sat down on the ground while soaking my feet in the swimming pool.
 
 
I looked up in the sky and smiled sadly. “Aaww, there’s no stars.” I told myself. I bit my lower lip as I felt the sadness surrounding me. Tears filled my eyes when a flashback of memories run through my brain. It felt like deja vu. I was staring the same sky when I first came in Jeju Island couple years ago. My heart was longing for someone at that time. I was waiting for the day I would finally go back to him.
Just like now. I was longing for the same person and waiting for the day I can finally say my last good bye to him.
 
“What are you doing here by yourself?”
 
I came out of my trance when I heard Siwon’s voice.
 
“Why don’t you hang out with us inside? It’s cold and dark in here. Don’t you hate darkness?” Siwon added.
 
 
I smiled at him and diverted my eyes to the pool when I felt my tears was threatening to fall.
 
 
“Yeah but I like the quietness.” I told him. “Plus I hate the smell of the alcohol.” I said making face while looking at the liquor bottle in his hand.

 
He gave me a smile, “Do you want some?” He asked before he sat next to me. He soaked his feet slowly to the pool. “Whoa! It’s cold.” He said like a little kid.
 
 
A moment of silence surrounded us before he asked, “About your mom...Do you want me to come with you when you visit her?" He asked.
 
 
“Tsk. No way. I don’t think she would remember you anyway. She would probably ask me if you’re my boyfriend.” I teases
 
 
“What’s the problem with that? Just say yes and I’m your boyfriend.” He teases back and smiles at me.

 
Another silence engulfed us.
 
 
Are you really...okay? Is there something I can help you with?” He asked worriedly. 

 
“Tsk. What do you think?” I said rolling my eyes. “I...think I'm okay." I bit my lower lip before I continued, "I just want to forget my problems. Do you think you can help me with that?" I asked playfully.
 
“Yes, I can! that’s easy! I can make your problem disappear, but the magic will only work tonight and will expire when the clock strikes at midnight..I mean as soon as you wake up tomorrow morning." He said laughing while pretending to do a magic trick in his hands, “Do you want me to help you? I'll do it for free because I like you, my princess.” He added mimicking a voice of a genie.
 
“Tsk!" I chuckles, "What kind of nonsense are you talking about?" I said laughing. "Are you my fairy godmother now?" I teases. He smiles at me before he gave me the bottle of liquor he was drinking. “Tada! Here..my magic bottle..Try it just a little bit. I promise your problem will disappear...tonight.” He said with exaggerating voice and smirk afterwards.


I suddenly remember my mom, a flashback of her memories ran to my mind. Somehow, I felt the urge to see her.. Deep inside me think I misses her and I keep denying it to myself.


"Is that magic of yours really effective?" I asked with a doubt in my voice then I let out a chuckle.

 
"Of course! If my magic won't work on you, you can dare me with anything you want." He insisted. "So I dare you to try it. Maybe it would help you feel better somehow." He said staring at me with a concern look.
 
 
“Did you say you are daring me again?! You never learn, Siwon." I said teasing him before I grabbed the bottle of liquor in his hand. He offered a glass but I brushed it off and immediately gulped the whole bottle of liquor in one shot.
 
 
“Yah! Dara! I didn't mean you to finish the whole bottle in one shot! Whoa..daebak.” He said to me completely shock. He's eyes and mouth were widely open.
 
 
"My mom is right. This feels good!" I said after I chugged the liquor. Somehow I suddenly felt light like I was floating, and I couldn't help laughing at Siwon's reaction.