Chapter 31 - Eternity Ring

One More Chance

Chapter 31

 

 

 

“Have you ever thought of me when you were in NY? Like maybe if I was doing well or If I were still alive? Something like that. Haha!” Donghae awkwardly asked Dara while lifting his hand to shade his eyes from the sun. Dara and him were walking on the sands towards the lighthouse. Their clothes were soaking wet.

 

“Hmm.. not really. I was busy with school and if I was not in school, I’m working...so I really have no time thinking of you or anything else.” Dara said looking down at the sand with an uncomfortable expression on her face. 

 

“Tsk, I figured it out. You must be really doing good at school. When are you gonna finish?” Donghae said with a disappointed smile on his face.

 

“I’m on my last semester on September. Next year I should be done.” Dara said in reply

“Wow, Minho is very lucky. He must be very proud of you.” Donghae said with his sad eyes. His glance landed on a vendor on their way selling different kind of accessories. He grabbed a cute pink ribbon hair clip, examining it thoroughly with his eyes. 

 

“That looks pretty. I’m sure Yoona will like that.” Dara said while looking at the hair clip Donghae was holding.

 

“Yeah? Is it pretty?” He asked her and clipping it on Dara’s hair. “Yeah.” He nodded, “it looks pretty.” He said smiling before he removed it gently from her hair. “I’ll take this.” Donghae said to the vendor before he paid it. Dara couldn't help but to smile upon hearing his words. Her heart beats so much faster. “Do you know where we can buy clothes here, ajusshi?” Donghae added while putting the hairclip inside the paper bag.

 

“They have some souvenir and gift shop store inside the light house. Maybe they sell T-shirts too. Aigoo! it’s raining all of a sudden.” The ajusshi replied. 

 

Heavy rain started to pour out of nowhere and the two run to the light house hurriedly.

 

 

“Omo, the weather is very unpredictable. It was so sunny and then it rained all of a sudden.” Dara said upon reaching the entrance door of the light house. She gently caressed her injured ankle when she felt a little pain from running.

“We need umbrella as well. You’re so wet. You might get a fever again. Is your ankle hurting again?” Donghae asked worriedly

 

“Yeah a little bit, probably from running too much. The salt water helped a lot though. It’s like a magic cure ha ha. You too, you’re soaking wet. We’ll definitely gonna get sick if not here for sure when we comeback to Seoul.” Dara said, wringing Donghae’s shirt by her both hands, exposing Donghae’s abs. Dara immediately let it go and swallowed hard when she noticed it. Donghae noticed her expression and tried to stifle his laugh. 

 

The two smiled at each other before they held hands, scanning inside a souvenir store and gift shop. The two bought clothes with Jeju Island Hamdeok beach printed in the shirt and an umbrella. Then they decided to go up and check the top of the light house. They walked up to the spiraling staircase that leads to the top of light house.

 

 

“Wow it looks ancient but it’s beautiful.” Dara said as they climbed the staircase

“Be careful of your step. It’s slippery and very steep here.” Donghae said leading their way to the top of the light house.

 

Dara and Donghae climbed up for about seven minutes or less. Donghae and Dara were both tired and gasping for air when they reached the top. Donghae opened the door to enter the outside balcony of the light house. She let Dara go outside first and they were both amazed of the breathtaking view. The rain finally stopped and the clouds started clearing up. They could see the whole Jeju island and the blue ocean from the top view.

 

“I thought I’ve already seen a pretty view from the top of the mountain but this is even more beautiful.” Dara said smiling while holding the side rails. She took a deep breath before looking at Donghae whose also enjoying the view.

 

Donghae smiled from ear to ear before he said, “We didn’t get the chance to see the sunset though. It would’ve been nicer if we were here before that. If only it didn’t rain. I really hate rain.”

 

“It’s okay. Stop it, you love rain! You told me you always love rain. I hate rain before but I’ve come to love it too because you told me there’s always a rainbow after it.” Dara said smiling cheering him up.

 

“That’s why I hate it when it’s raining. It always reminded me of you.” Donghae said inwardly. 

 

“Huh?” Dara looked at him with her curious eyes as she didn’t hear clearly what he said. “Anyway, I’m hoping to see the stars more so it’s fine. Do you know whenever I see a light house, I always think of the stars. Their bright lights flashes up top guiding people to navigate the ocean. In fact, the light house keeps them safe by serving as a navigational aid to warn boats of the dangerous sites. It’s like a traffic sign on the sea.”

 

“Yeah?” Donghae asked listening to her.

 

“Yup. Just like stars. It guides us from the sky. It gives us light and hope. 

Do you know there is one star in the sky that does not move, it’s called Polaris. They said you won’t get lost at all if you know how to find it.”

Dara said with her sparkling eyes.

 

“That’s why you’re always lost because you haven’t found it yet. Haha.. but yeah, you mentioned that to me before. You've always love stars." Donghae said playfully.

 

Dara let out a huff, “Tsk! I'm not always lost! I'm just not good at reading maps and looking for directions. Yeah, I wish I could see the stars all the time but they only comes out when it’s dark. Funny because I hate it when it’s dark outside and they only come out at night. I wish we can see them too even in the morning.” Dara said with a sad smile in her face.

 

“Yeah...that too..You really hate being in the dark. How’s your eyes by the way? Have you checked them out with your doctor? You still have night blindness, right?”

 

“Huh? Um..It’s fine. Yeah, but I always have that so I’m used to it. Why do you ask?” Dara asked awkwardly diverting her eyes away from Donghae’s stare

 

“I just think you should see an eye expert to check your eyes thoroughly because you have night blindness and you told me you’re having migraine as well. That might be something.”

 

“I’m fine, I’m just unlucky to have those symptoms but it won’t kill me, I promise. Ha ha.” Dara said awkwardly before changing the topic. “Weird question, If by any chance the person you love is handicapped or has disability. Would you still love her?”

 

“Yeah, that’s a weird and stupid question.” Donghae said with a chuckle. “Of course, I would still love her. If you love someone, you will love them for her whole being even with whatever disability she has.” He added, smiling while staring at her.

 

“Even though she’s crippled?”

“Yes.”

“Even though she’s mute?”

“Yes.”

“How about if she has cancer?”

“Yes.”

“And dying?”

“Hmm.. yes.”

“If she’s blind?”

“Yes.”

“How about if she would pass it to your kids?”

“Hmm... why would she pass it to our kids?”

“I don’t know, maybe it’s genetics. It’s just hypothetical questions. It’s not real.” Dara said rolling her eyes.

“Of course I would still love her. I will take of her and our kids even more, and I will protect them with all my life. Why did you ask those questions all of a sudden? Are you sick?” Donghae asked Dara with a curious looks in his face.

“Tsk! I’m healthier than what you think. Why do you think I’m talking about myself? Why? Are you imagining me while answering those questions? Do you even love me? Pffft! Ha ha!” Dara said with a force laugh. She didn’t let Donghae respond she continues right away, “It’s just I’ve watched too many korean dramas lately and this view feels like we’re shooting a film for that. Ha ha..” Dara said with a weak smile. She bit her lower lip, looking down below the ground and continues, “If you were to ask me those questions, I would say I would still love him but I would get tired of taking care of him. I’m sure I wouldn’t be always there to protect him. I don’t want to be selfish but if you really love the person it’s better not to keep their hopes up from the beginning. You know we are human being and we’re not perfect. We will get tired and overwhelm at some point, and if that time happened that would even be more painful compared to just leaving them from the very start.

 

“That’s why you left me?” Donghae asked staring at her.

“Why are you always connecting those questions with us? I told you it’s just a hypothetical question. Don’t be assuming.” Dara said with a chuckle then letting out a nervous sigh.

“If you really love someone, you will not get tired of loving them whatever it takes. For better, for worst, for richer, for poorer, in sickness, and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do us part.” Donghae said with a smile while looking at her.

“Wow, you’re really practiced your vows already.” Dara teases. She smiled at the sky. All his words lacerating her heart inside. The pain is unbearable but she tried to endure the pain and hide her sadness deep inside. “Yoona is very lucky to have you.” She added.

 

“It could’ve have been us if you didn’t leave me.” Donghae said with a sad smile. “I wonder if we have gotten married before, how many kids do you think we would’ve had?” 

 

Dara laughed awkwardly diverting her eyes away, “ I thought you like to have a dozen kids.” 

“Right, you didn’t forget that.” Donghae said grinning sadly, “I remembered you once told me you were sick when I asked you why did you leave me. Then out of no where you said you were joking. I really thought that was real. I almost killed you with my glare at that time in the bathroom. I almost believe you.” Donghae said with an awkward chuckle. “I would rather know that you left me because of your dreams or I wouldn’t forgive myself for giving up looking for you. That’s why I hate watching those korean dramas. It’s too cheesy and unrealistic.” 

 

“Yeah, it’s happens only in Korean drama. I want you to be happy and have a perfect and big family like what you always dreamed of. I’m sorry I couldn’t give you that.” Dara said with a smile, tears filling up her eyes.

 

“At least both of us will achieve our dreams in life. You with your master degree or even more and a successful career and I’ll have a simple life creating my own happy family. A win-win situation I guess.” Donghae said with a deep sigh 

 

Dara nodded with a smile in her face but hiding the pain deep inside her heart.

 

 

~~

 

Dara and Donghae walked back hurriedly to the rented car Donghae rented. Donghae was holding the umbrella above Dara as light drizzle slowly building up again. Donghae opened the door for Dara and she gave her a sweet smile. Donghae hurriedly went to the driver seat, putting his seatbelt on and turning the key in the ignition. He flicked the windshield wipers before he the headlight. Dara put her seatbelt on before she turned the radio.

 

 

🎶 

I shouldn't love you but I want to
I just can't turn away
I shouldn't see you but I can't move
I can't look away

And I don't know
How to be fine when I'm not
'Cause I don't know
How to make a feeling stop

Just so you know
This feeling's takin' control of me
And I can't help it
I won't sit around
I can't let him win now..

(Just So You Know - Jessie McCartney)

Dara sighed heavily as she watched the raindrops falling in the sky through her window. She wanted to laugh painfully at the song. It looks like faith is really playing with both of them and it really did.

 

Donghae suddenly slammed on his break, making the two hurled forward into their seats.

 

 

“Whoa! Are you okay?” Dara asked Donghae worriedly.

Donghae craned her neck up looking at the window. “I almost hit someone.” He opened the door and stepped out the car immediately. He saw an old lady with her groceries cluttered all over the road. “Is everything okay?” Dara said before she pressed the hazard signal and stepped outside to help them, but her eyes bulged open upon landing her gaze to the old lady. 

 

“Umma!” Dara called her mom upon seeing her familiar face.

“Dara?!” Chaerin replied back squinting her eyes upon hearing Dara’s voice. She glanced up at Donghae with her curious eyes. “Donghae? Is that you?” She asked.

 

Donghae and Dara froze from their spot while glancing back and forth nervously to Chaerin and to each other.

 

 

“What’s going on? Why are you two together? Are you two finally get back together?” Chaerin asked, tilting her head to both of them with her curious look 

 

~~

 

 

“Aigoo, thank you for dropping me off. I went to the grocery store this afternoon but then it started to rain. Then I saw my old friend in a car and she lives nearby the beach so she invited me to visit her house. I didn’t bother her to drop me off because I thought it wouldn’t rain anymore. I told her I would get a taxi on my way back home but it started drizzling again and it was hard to find one on that area. I'm glad I saw you guys." Chaerin said to them while unlocking her door.

"Mom, we almost hit you. Please be careful next time." Dara said to her mom worriedly. Chaerin nodded and smiled back at them.

Chaerin let them inside the house first. Donghae put Chaerin’s grocery bags in her kitchen. She invited them to eat dinner with her first before they leave. 

 

“Mom, did you clean the house? It smells good and much cleaner now.” Dara said smiling to Chaerin.

 

“I cleaned the house that exact day after you visited me. I was so embarrassed that you saw the house like that. You told me you will visit me again so I tried to maintain it clean as much as possible.” Chaerin said while preparing for their foods.

 

Donghae was sitting quietly on his chair in the dining room while listening to their conversation. He scanned the house with his eyes, stealing glances on Dara’s mom. Her face got older but she still looks the same and it brings old memories back, Donghae thought to himself.

 

“Donghae, is that really you? You’ve become more handsome compared to the last time I saw you.” Chaerin said, “Did you two get back together? Is that why you were asking me the other day if I regretted leaving your dad and if it was worth it?” Chaerin added, teasing.

 

“No!! Of course not, mom. Stop! We...we are just friends again.” Dara said nervously.

 

Donghae just chuckles. “It’s so nice to see you again, Mrs. Park. It’s been a long time.” Donghae said politely.

 

“I’m sorry about the last time you came here. Dara was so hard headed and she doesn’t want me to tell you her whereabouts.” Chaerin added while stirring the meat and veggies in the pot. The enticing smell of the food and it’s sizzling sounds as she cooked them made them hungrier.

 

Dara prepared the table and Chaerin served the food on the table. They passed the utensils and plates to each other before they started eating  dinner.

 

“You said you two are friends again?” Chaerin asked curiously. The two nodded their heads.

“Ahhh...just friends. That sounds cliche. I really thought you two already reconciled and got back to each other when I saw the both of you together earlier. By the way I received a mail this morning from Yoona’s address and when I opened it, it was for a wedding invitation. I was shocked when I saw the groom’s name was Lee Donghae. Could it be that person is...you?” Chaerin added looking at Donghae. “That would be really weird, right? I’m sure there’s a lot of Lee Donghae’s name in Korea.” Chaerin asked before she took a bite of the meat in her fork.

 

“Yeah mom. That’s him.. but Yoona didn’t know about our past so if ever she visited you, please don’t tell her anything. She doesn’t really have to know the past.” Dara said before drinking her water.

 

“Oh. I see. That’s complicated.“ Chaerin said while looking at Dara’s eyes worriedly.

 

“I didn’t know she was Dara’s friend. Yoona rescued me when I had an accident five years ago here in Jeju. That was when I met Yoona.” Donghae said breaking his silence.

 

“Oh. I see. I heard you were badly hurt at that time. Dara was very worried about you. I’m glad to see you healthy and strong, Donghae. Chaerin said glancing back and forth to Donghae and Dara.

 

“Really? Dara was worried? She just told me she was very busy with her school and her part time job that she doesn’t even think of me when she left Korea.” Donghae said with doubtful smile

 

“Really? she was always calling me at that time to ask about your condition. She even called the hospital here to ask about you. I even thought she’s coming back here as soon as she heard that you were badly injured. She was crying so bad.” Chaerin said while looking at Dara with concern expression. Donghae smiled sadly while staring down at his food.

 

“Mom! Stop lying. She’s only teasing you. Don’t believe her. Can we change the topic?” Dara said glaring her mother to stop talking nonsense. “Donghae is now better and well. He overcome his worst part in his life and finally he will be married to the person who saved his life and the person I know loves him the most. That’s all that matter the most.” she said with a sad smile before she continues eating.

 

 

“Yes, Mrs. Chaerin. I’m well and better now. Dara and I are friends again. That’s all that matters. Now I can finally move on from the past. It’s just a weird coincidence that Dara and Yoona are actually friends too.” Donghae said with chuckles.

 

 

“When are you two going to tell Yoona about your past?” Chaerin asked glancing back and forth at both. “Dara, Yoona is your friend and Donghae you will get married to Yoona. If she found out about you and Dara’s past and that the two of you tried to hide it from her, I’m sure she would get upset and that would really hurt her. I don’t think she would forgive you or even Dara for hiding this to her.” Chaerin asked the two while pretending to focus on her food.

 

 

“I don’t think it’s necessary for her to find out about our past, mom. Past is past. She’s not even curious who was that person who made Donghae suffer like that, right Donghae? Donghae and Yoona happily moved on from the past that they don’t even think about it anymore. Besides, they will get married less than three weeks from now. It will just complicate stuff.” Dara said with a worried expression on her face.

 

 

“What if she found it out from another person? I’m just worried about the consequences that might happen. I’m afraid all of you would get hurt because of this secret. I’m an old lady, i have been there, I have done that. I know sometimes it hurts to know the truth from the person you love but it’s more painful to find it out

from another person. You know sometimes our faith is testing us by trying to play with us and that is really hard to control. You two are grown up already and I’m sure both of you will overcome this. Whatever decision you two make, just make sure you don’t regret it because we only live once.” Chaerin said smiling at the two.

“I give you two my blessing whatever decisions you two make. Just be happy.” Chaerin added with a sincere smile.

 

~~

 

Donghae and Dara we’re outside Dara’s mom house after they ate dinner. They talked about their conversations with Dara’s mom.

 

“I’m sorry about my mom. She’s very inquisitive.”

 

“No, she has a point honestly. If Yoona found out that you were my ex fiancé she would definitely get mad. I’m more worried about the two of you.” Donghae said while glancing at Dara with a troubled looks 

 

“I don’t think I would have the guts to tell her about our past. I’m such a bad person.” Dara said with a weak smile.

 

“You’re not. You just don’t want to hurt her. I will tell her everything after we get married. Then we could have a fresh start.” Donghae said while staring at Dara.

 

“Yeah, I think it’s better that way. I’ll be in New York by that time. I’m sure she would be upset with me but I’m hoping time will heal the pain in her heart.” Dara said with a sad smile as she looked at Donghae.

 

“Yeah, it’s better that way. Anyway, are you sure you’re not gonna sleep in our Airbnb tonight?” Donghae said diverting his eyes away from Dara, changing the topic.

 

“Yeah, I will sleep over with mom tonight. I don’t think i’ll get a chance like this before we leave Jeju.” Dara said while taking a deep breath looking at the stars in the sky.

 

“The stars finally showed up.” Donghae said with a smile as he looked up the sky. 

 

“Do you remember when you always sneak in my balcony at night when we were young?” Dara said laughing 

 

“Yeah, your house was next to my house. I could just climbed over the fence and I could sneak in easily to your balcony and room.” Donghae said smiling while imagining their past. 

 

“My dad almost thought you’re a thief while climbing over our fence. You were so bad.” Dara added with chuckles.

 

“I wonder whose fault was that. You were not speaking to me all day and I was worried about you. Remember when I even hid in your closet and under your bed when my mom was looking for me in your house. Your dad helped us trying to divert my mom’s attention. Good old days.” Donghae said. His smile turned into a sad expression. 

 

 

“I’m so happy you were my best friend, Fishboy. I will forever cherish those memories in my heart.” Dara said with tears threatening to fall in her eyes.

 

An awkward silence engulfed the two before Donghae’s phone suddenly rang. He saw Yoona’s caller ID. “I have to go. I have to pick up Yoona. I’ll see you tomorrow.” Donghae said smiling at her.

 

“Okay. Drive safe.” Dara said smiling back at him. Donghae waved awkwardly and then put his hand at the back of his head pretending to scratch his head. He then started walking back to his car.

 

 

Tears started to fall in Dara’s eyes while watching him walked away until he slowly disappeared in her eyes.

 

 

Dara went back to the house and Chaerin immediately hugged her. Dara’s tears continued to fall uncontrollably. She cried as loud as she could to ease the pain away.

 

 

~~

 

Yoona opened the passenger seat door as soon as he saw Donghae’s rented car. She kissed Donghae before she put her seatbelt on. “Where have you been hon? I’ve been waiting for you. I’m so tired everyone came today to greet us. They were all looking for you.” Yoona said to Donghae pouting her lips sadly.

 

“I saw all of them before I left this afternoon. You know I don’t like being around too many people.” Donghae said as he started driving.

 

“What is this? Why is it there a lot of sands in here? Did you go to the beach without me?” Yoona asked Donghae staring at his T-shirt and some grains of sand in her seat. Her  disappointed expression was obvious to her face.

 

“Ahhh... yeah, i just walked around the beach to relax.” Donghae nervously said. He glances at her and saw her sad expression. “I was thinking of you the whole time I was there. I know you were busy taking care of your business here. Besides, you haven’t seen your family for a long time and you don’t see them at all more often so I don’t want to bother you spending your time with them. We’ll be always together anyway especially when we go back to Seoul.” Donghae explained to her.

 

“I wish you could’ve told me. I would at least stopped by there quick. I miss the beach.” Yoona said.

 

“You would not enjoy anyway. It rained all of a sudden. I was wet and cold.” Donghae said

 

“Did you buy your T-shirt there?” Yoona asked

“Ahhh.. yes.” Donghae replied.

“It’s pretty. Where are your wet clothes? Is it at the back? I’ll put it in the laundry later.” 

 

“No! I meant I threw it out. I have so many clothes I packed anyway. It’s okay, hon. So what happened after I left?” Donghae said when he suddenly remembered Dara’s clothes was also there at the back.

 

“Oh okay. Anyway, my aunt Gummy was also there visiting Jeju. She’s very interesting, you know? She’s a fortune teller and she does makes rings and jewelries. She also sells amulets and lucky charms. She’s kind of famous for those people who loves fortune telling.” 

 

“Fortune teller? Pfft! I don’t believe in those.” Donghae said trying to stifle his laugh.

 

 

“I know. Me too. She even tried to do tell my fortune and she said she was worried about me. You know what she told me? I have to watch out for the people around me even my close friends or else I would get hurt. She even said I would get pregnant before I get married. It’s so funny.” Yoona said with sarcastic laugh.

 

 

“Oh?” Donghae said, biting his lower lip nervously when he remembered what Dara’s mom told him about confessing his past to Yoona. “That’s very strange.” He added.

 

 

“I know. Very strange! Aunt Gummy also noticed my ring. She said it’s beautiful.” Yoona said with a smile while looking at her eternity ring in her ring finger. 

 

~

 

Yoona and Donghae arrived at the Airbnb after a long day. Bom told them that Dara texted her that she will sleep over her mom’s house tonight. 

 

Yoona went to the kitchen and grabbed a glass of water when she saw Siwon in the kitchen talking on his phone.

 

“Yeah? Okay. Got it. Siwon said on the phone, his glance landed on Yoona as she walked towards the refrigerator. “I told you. I’m here in Jeju island. I’ll be back on Monday. I will see you then... I will hang up now. I told you I got it, Jess. I’ll see you. Bye.” Siwon said with a sigh before hanging up his phone.

 

Yoona is trying to avoid his glance. She immediately went to the fridge to get some water. 

 

 

Awkward silence surrounded the two. 

 

 

Yoona couldn’t help but to think about what happened that night. Whenever she saw Siwon. her heart beats nervously. She drank the water immediately but accidentally drop the glass out of her hand. Siwon immediately came to her to help her. “It’s okay, I got it.” Yoona said to Siwon without looking at him.

 

“Don’t touch the shattered glass you might cut yourself from it. I got it. I'll clean it. Just go upstairs.”  Siwon insisted.

 

“I said I got it!” Yoona said with annoyance trying to pick up the broken glass on the floor. “Ouch!” she cried when her index finger sustained a cut from the broken glass.

“I told you I got this. Look at your finger it’s bleeding.” Siwon said while looking at her finger. He immediately reach her finger to examine it and put it in his mouth to the blood out. Yoona immediately pulled her finger out from his mouth. “Yah! What are you doing?!” She said with annoyance.

“I’m just trying to stop the blood.” Siwon replied

“That’s not gonna help! Eww!” Yoona said with her annoyed expression. “If that moves worked on Jessica or your other girls, please don’t even try it with me. It’s disgusting.” She said before walking away from him.

 

Siwon looked at her in confusion as she walked away. He shook his head trying to shrug it off before he started to clean the floor.

 

 

~

 

Dara cried all night on her bed. She couldn’t remove Donghae’s face and their conversations earlier in her mind. Bom tried to call her several times but she’s not ready to talk to anyone yet. She opened her Instagram and saw Yoona’s recent post wearing the pink ribbon hair clip on her hair with a photo caption: I’m so lucky to have you. You never fail to surprise me. I really love it. Thank you hon!💖👫 Donghae was tagged on her photo. 

 

 

Donghae’s image while gently putting the clip on Dara’s hair replayed in her mind.

“Yeah. it’s pretty” Donghae’s voice and his stare at Dara kept replaying in her brain. 

 

She curled up on her bed while hugging the pillow. 

 

 

“Of course I would still love her. I will take care of her and our kids even more, and I will protect them with all my life.

 

“If you really love someone, you will not get tired of loving them whatever it takes. For better, for worst, for richer, for poorer, in sickness, and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do us part.”

 

“It could’ve been us if you didn’t leave me.”  “I wonder if we have gotten married before, how many kids do you think we would’ve had?”

 

 

As Donghae’s words played on and on in Dara’s mind, the pain in her heart kept on increasing. It’s so unbearable that she couldn’t sleep.

 

Her mom sleeping next to her couldn’t help but to feel sorry for her daughter as she still heard her sobbing quietly. 

 

~~

 

Dara woke up early in the morning and decided to go visit Yoona’s parents as she promised Yoona before. She re-assured her mom that’s she was feeling better after she cried all her tears out last night. 

 

As soon as Dara arrived at Yoona’s parents house, everyone greeted her warmly. They still remembered her back when Yoona and her were high school. Dara felt grateful at the same time she couldn’t help but to feel guilty as well. They invited her to eat breakfast with them. She politely declined but they still insisted and she couldn’t resist their hospitality.

 

 

“Dara, you looked healthy and more beautiful. I’m glad that you visited us.” Yoona’s mom told Dara. “I still remember when you and Yoona were in high school. Now Yoona is getting married.” Yoona’s mom added with teary eyes.

 

“How about you? When are you getting married, Dara?” Yoona’s father asked.

“Yeobo, Dara is still finishing up her masters degree in New York, I heard from Yoona. Dara must be really busy to think about her lovelife.” Yoona’s mom replied to her husband.

 

Dara smiled at them awkwardly, “Yes, I’m not thinking about that yet.” she said nodding her head while eating the breakfast they prepared for her. 

 

“Oh! This is my sister. Gummy. She lives in Gyeonggi province. She’s here visiting Jeju too. Come eat with us, Gummy! This is Dara, Yoona’s high school best friend.” Yoona’s mom said excitedly when she saw Gummy came out of her room.

 

“Hi. Dara. Nice to meet you.” Gummy greeted

 

“Hi, Ms Gummy. It’s nice to meet you too.” Dara greeted back. 

 

“You can call me aunt Gummy. Yoona is my favorite niece. So whoever is close to her, is close to me too.” Gummy said with a smile.

 

“How are you, Dara? How’s your eyes?” Gummy asked Dara all of a sudden making Dara looked at her in surprise since this was her first time meeting her. A sudden goose bumps ran through her skin.

 

Gummy then continues, “You look pale and weak. You’re eyes is not looking good. You have to take care of yourself more.” Gummy added.

 

“Huh? Um.. I’m fine. Thank you, aunt Gummy. I think I’m fine.” Dara said with her eyes snapped open taken aback of her question.

 

“What happened to Dara’s eyes? She’s not that pale.” Yoona’s mom asked worriedly. “Her eyes looks fine.” She added looking at Dara’s eyes 

 

“Just a wild guess. It just your eyes looks red and puffy. You probably cried all night.” Gummy said smiling while getting some foods.

 

“By the way Dara, Gummy is a fortune teller. She’s does say some weird guesses. I’m sorry about that. I should’ve warned you. It’s her business. Just ignore her words and try to ride with her trip.” Yoona’s mom whispered to Dara ears and wink.

 

“Oh... ha ha ha” Dara awkwardly nodded with a chuckle. She’s tried to shrugged it off. It’s very obvious her eyes looks red and her face looks puffy from crying all night, she thought.

 

“By the way Dara,” Gummy said while sitting down the chair. She put her plate on the table. “I’m selling some lucky charms, amulets and talismans for protection to get rid of the evil spirit around us. Just in case your interested.” Gummy said with a wink.

 

“Aigoo! Stop saying nonsense to Dara. You’re even trying to sell stuff now when we’re all eating. Sorry Dara, I apologize. Just ignore her.” Yoona’s dad apologized.

 

“Ha ha! No, it’s okay. Thats very interesting aunt Gummy. Thank you for the offer. I’ll check it out later.” Dara said politely.

 

 

“Do you want me to tell your fortune? I’ll do it for free. Just try me.” Gummy asked Dara.

 

“Haist! you know Dara, don’t believe in those fortune telling. They are not real. Gummy we are all family here. Stop saying nonsense to Dara. She even scared Yoona yesterday by telling her to watch out for the people around her even her close friends or else she would get hurt. She even said she would get pregnant before she get married.” Yoona’s dad said with a dubious looks

 

“That’s what I saw in her palm. I could be wrong, it could be true. We never know.” Gummy said while eating.

“Yoona denies that. She said they’ve been waiting for their honeymoon. I was excited to see if I’m going to be a grand mom soon.” Yoona’s mom said

“We never know. They’ve probably done it while they are here in Jeju.” Gummy said with a smirk. “She looks more blooming you know.” 

 

Dara just smiled sadly while listening to their conversations. 

 

 

“Dara, can I see your palm very quick.” Gummy asked Dara. Yoona’s parent just shook their heads with their apologetic look.

 

Dara smiled awkwardly to them, “It’s okay.” She said and just hand over her palm to Gummy. Gummy examined her palm before she gave Dara a spine-chilling looks. “You should’ve not come back here. I see a very dark past surrounding you. You just complicate everything..” Gummy said holding Dara’s palm with her eyes close. Dara was looking at her with her worried and nervous expressions. “Faith is testing you how long you could endure all of this. I don’t see anything good. You have to be careful. Something really bad will happened if you don’t. You really need...to buy my amulet, Dara for your protection.” Gummy said as she opened her eyes with a convincing smile. 

 

“Ahahahhaha. Okay.” Dara said awkwardly, swallowing hard. Her heart was beating hard. She almost believed her words.

 

 

Dara bought a red amulet bracelet that Madame Gummy was selling her after their meals. Before she left, Gummy asked her vaguely, “Dara, do you know the saying true love is like a pair of socks?”

 

 

“Huh? Ah..” Dara said in confusion.

 

“You have to have two and they have to match. If they don’t, then they are not really meant for each other.” Gummy said to her. I’m also a jewelry designer. If you know anyone who needs my service, don’t forget to recommend me. “Good luck with your journey. Take care of the ring.” she said before she walked back inside the house.

 

 

“Huh? ring? What ring? Thanks! Bye aunt gummy.” Dara said waving goodbye at her awkwardly.

 

 

 “Weird.” Dara said to herself.

 

~~

 

 

Dara returned back to the Airbnb tired and exhausted. All of them were eating together in the dining room when Dara arrived. Dara glances at Donghae who was busy eating his meal. Donghae was avoiding to look at Dara because Bom seemed to be watching their moves. She seemed to know what was going on with them. Dara on the other hand told Yoona that she visited her parents and she met aunt Gummy. Yoona was very happy to hear her news. Her eyes suddenly focused on Dara’s shirt with the same print like what Donghae was wearing yesterday. “I like your shirt Dara. Where did you buy that?” Yoona asked

 

“Ohh.. umm.. I went to the Hamdeok beach yesterday...with my mom. It looks cute so I bought it.” Dara said nervously 

 

“Ohh.. I see.. Donghae went to Hamdeok beach too yesterday. I was so upset he didn’t invite me. You guys didn’t see each other there?” Yoona said curiously.  Bom, Top, and Siwon suddenly paused eating, glancing between the three awkwardly.

 

“No, Yu..you went there too? Which side? I didn’t see you.” Dara pretending to ask Donghae almost stuttering 

 

“Yeah, i was there quick but left immediately since it rained.” Donghae said with a cold voice. 

 

“Ohh..” Dara said biting her lips. She should’ve changed her shirt immediately, she told herself. Her glance landed on Bom who was looking at her with her Bominator looks. She tried to ignore her and told them that she will just go upstairs to take a shower.

 

 

~~

 

 

“Hey, so you went to the beach yesterday without inviting me?” Siwon said to Dara as soon as he saw her stepping out her room. Siwon was standing against the wall of her room with his arms crossed and heel against the wall.

 

“Yes...because I was with my mom.” Dara said to him with a weak smile.

 

Siwon went closer to her walking like a zombie before he rested his head weakly on Dara’s shoulder both of them standing opposite at each other in the hallway outside Dara and Yoona’s room. 

“Are you okay?” Dara asked Siwon worriedly. “Do you have a problem?” She added.

“Yeah. You’re my problem.” Siwon said with a frail smile. “Why don’t we just run away, far, far away from here so you won’t get hurt anymore.” Siwon told her.

 

“Huh?” Dara asked in confusion. Siwon suddenly kissed Dara on her cheek. 

 

Yoona saw them together as she went upstairs to take a shower. She decided to go back down to not bother them. She took a deep breath and shrugged the weird feelings in her heart.

 

“Yah! What is that for?!” Dara asked him with annoyance.

 

“Did you cry last night? Your eyes looks red and puffy.” Siwon asked her in reply.

 

“Ahhh.. is it still red and puffy? I should’ve put cold compress over it.” Dara said with chuckles. “But don’t do that again! It’s weird!” Dara said playfully pushing Siwon away. Both of them laughed at each other. When a flip flop flew over them hitting Siwon on his head. “Ouch! Yah!” Siwon groaned in annoyance while caressing the back of his head where it hit him. They both looked at Donghae who was standing by the stairs. “Yah! You’re wearing my slippers.” Donghae said to Siwon irritated. He then gave Dara a deathly glare.

 

“Tsk! Here!” Siwon threw his slippers to Donghae which he easily dodge.

 

“Next time don’t take what’s mine without my permission! Thief!” Donghae’s said with his annoyed expression before going back downstairs.

 

“Tsk!” Siwon groaning inwardly.

 

Dara just laughed at the two childish brothers.

 

 

~~

 

Bom texted Dara nonstop to come down to the basement to hang out. Dara couldn't nap at all because her phone kept on vibrating too much from her messages so she just gave up and went downstairs as she requested.

“So tell me about it?!” Bom said to Dara while they were sitting on the couch of the basement.

 

“What are you talking about? What should I tell you?” Dara asked pretending she doesn’t know what Bom was talking about.

 

“Haist! What happened to the beach?” She asked again.

 

“Nothing. I told you, I went there with my mom. You can ask my mom if you want.” Dara said with a convincing smile. “By the way, I told you I went to Yoona’s parents house, right? I met Yoona’s aunt. She’s a fortune teller and she’s very strange. I almost believe in her words though. She’s very scary. If you would hear her words, you would have goosebumps too.” Dara said with her scared expression.

 

“Really? I believe in those fortune teller. There’s nothing wrong to believe in fortune telling as long as they would say positive things to my future. Ha! Ha! Did she say anything about your future?“ 

 

“Yeah, she looked at my palm and she said i should’ve not come back here because I just complicated things. Which is true! And she said she sees a very dark past surrounding me so I should be careful if not something really bad would happen so she made me buy this bracelet amulet for my protection.” Dara said with a sigh while showing Bom her red amulet bracelet.

 

“Really? bwhahahahhahaha!! That’s very interesting. She’s really that good that she convinced you buy an amulet.” Bom teases.

 

“I know! I’m so gullible! Haist!!! Stop laughing, Bom. I’m so embarrassed. I’m usually not gullible like that. But somehow I just felt like she has some point. She even asked me if I know a strange saying about true love. She said true love is like a pair of socks. You have to have two and they have to match. If they don’t, umm.. they are not really meant for each other.” Dara said pouting while thinking about Gummy's words

 

“Huh? I think I already heard that before. Weird.” Bom said massaging her head while thinking deeply.

 

“Bom! Dara! What are you two doing in the basement?” Yoona asked them while climbing down the stairs.

 

“Nothing much. We are just talking about your aunt, Yoona. She read my palm a while ago.” Dara said 

 

“Aunt Gummy? Yeah, she read my palm yesterday and told me I would get pregnant before I get married and I have to watch out closely to the people around me or else I would get hurt. That’s really ridiculous, right?" Yoona said with a chuckle 

 

“Wait, did you say Gummy? Your aunt is Madame Gummy?!!” Bom asked Yoona with her eyes open wide

 

“Yeah, do you know her?” Yoona asked

 

“Yeah! She’s very famous for her customize jewelries. They said all her works are enchanted!” Bom said excitedly 

 

“Pfft! Yeah right.”  Dara said with her dubious expression.

 

“Yeah, I heard about it. I don’t know if it’s true though.” Yoona said with an easy shrug

 

“You’re ring, Yoona! That’s an eternity ring! Madame Gummy especially made that. She said only if it’s true love then the eternity ring will hold on tightly to that person wearing it.” Bom said with her sparkling curious eyes

 

“Oh...yeah I heard about that. I actually met Donghae because of this ring and I couldn’t remove this at first even how hard I tried it. Donghae was very mad at me. Did aunt Gummy really made this?" Yoona said smiling while looking at the eternity ring on her finger. 

"Yes, she did! Me and Donghae went to Gyeonggi province just to get that." Bom said

“Wow, Then that eternity ring chose you, Yoona. You are his true love.” Dara said to Yoona with a smile. She felt a pain in heart knowing she had the eternity ring first and it didn’t hold on her finger tightly like what they were saying. 

 

“I know! I’m so thankful of this eternity ring, I was able to meet Donghae because of this. I think somehow I kind of believe of my aunt now. Only just the eternity ring part. Ha ha ha” Yoona said with a chuckle

 

“There’s one way to test it, Yoona.” Bom said with a curious look.

 

“How?” Yoona asked Bom.

 

“Let me and Dara wear it to test if it’s real. Let’s try if it would hold on tight on either of us.” Bom said excitedly biting her lower lip.

 

“Yah! That’s ridiculous Bom. Don't listen to her, Yoona. There’s no need to prove it. It already tightened on your ring finger before. It already proves that your his true love.”  Dara said with a sad smile.

 

“Then there’s nothing wrong to try it. It’s just for fun! By the way, Yoona, I'm just curious. You said it was stuck in your finger before that you couldn't remove it. How did you manage to remove it?” Bom asked curiously 

 

“Yeah it was. It just suddenly came off. I guess I got skinnier? Ha! ha!” Yoona answered. “Okay let’s try it. I’m curious too.” She added excitedly while removing the ring on her finger.

 

Bom tried to put the ring on but the ring didn’t even fit her finger at all. Dara declined their childish game but Yoona and Bom insisted. She put the ring on nervously and it slid on her finger easily.

“Happy?!!” She said with annoyance to both. She awkwardly smiled at them before she tried to remove the eternity ring out her finger but it...stuck! She slowly twist the ring up again but she couldn’t take it off her finger at all. She kept on repeating the motion in panic. She glanced up to Bom and Yoona awkwardly. The two looked at Dara curiously. “Wait! Let me put a soap to lubricate my hand.” Dara said immediately running to the toilet. The two girls followed Dara and watched her struggle to remove the ring on her finger.

 

“Ottoke! What the heck?! How do I remove this? I told you I hate this kind of game!" Dara said in panic while trying to remove the ring. She glanced worriedly at Yoona. Yoona was looking at the eternity ring in Dara’s finger curiously. Dara looked at Bom with helpless look but Bom couldn’t help but to smile from ear to ear.

 

Dara bit her lower lip, she didn’t know what to do.

 

“It’s okay, Dara. I’m sure it will come off. Don’t hurt yourself. It’s my fault. I’m so gullible, I shouldn’t believe those stuff.” Yoona said to Dara worriedly 

 

“Same here, I’m sorry Dara to get you involved to something like this.” Bom said playfully smiling at her. 

 

“I will explain what happened to my honey. He doesn’t believe on those kind of stuff anyway.” Yoona said with assuring smile to Dara. “Oh! Honey!” Yoona excitedly called Donghae as soon as she saw him going down to the basement with Top. “Good thing you are here! Don’t get mad at Dara. It’s my fault." She started.

 

"What happened?" Donghae asked worriedly.

 

"You see um.. We were just trying to test if the eternity ring was real and when she put it on it was stuck on her finger like what happened to me the first time I met you.” Yoona explained worriedly.

 

Donghae and Top went to look at Dara in the toilet who was still trying to remove the ring out of her finger with soap and running water flowing her hand. Dara avoided to look at Donghae.

 

“Don’t worry I’ll go to the urgent care as soon as I can to remove this.” Dara said annoyed, still doing the motion to remove the ring on her finger.

 

“It’s okay, don’t bother. Don't hurt yourself. I’ll just buy Yoona a new one.” Donghae said before he walked away.

 

“Haist! This is unbelievable.” Dara said to herself.

 

“Dara, don’t hurt yourself anymore. You already tried that. It’s not gonna take off like that easily. It happened to me before, trust me. I know. Just leave it for now.” Yoona said to Dara while gently patting her back. “By the way, don’t forget we’re going to the our Mini high school reunion tomorrow. Our old classmates said they prepared something special for us. We can go to the urgent care after the reunion if you want or we can do that when we're back to Seoul I guess." Yoona added excitedly.

“Okay.. *sigh* I’m just gonna use the restroom.” Dara said to them smiling weakly. Bom and Yoona left Dara alone in the toilet. She closed the door and immediately leaned against the door while holding her chest. She looked at the ring nervously while Gummy’s voice replayed in her mind.

 

“Good luck with your journey. Take care of the ring.” 

“Huh? ring? What ring? Thanks! Bye aunt gummy.” Dara said waving goodbye at her awkwardly.

 

Dara snapped from her trance when her phone vibrated. 

 

1 new text message received from Fish

 

Dara opened the text message. Her heart pounds even faster.

 

“So you’re my one true love now?🙀🧜🏼‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️💒🧚🏼‍♂️💍“

 

~~

 

To Be Continued>>>

 

Crappy chapter. I didn't even get the chance to re-read it. I'm getting busier lately. It might be hard to predict when will I update again. Thanks for all the comments I appreciate it and those keep me motivated to write. Sorry for all the errors. I promise I will not abandon this story again. It's almost near to end. Until next time! Happy Mother's Day to all the mom out there!❤️