This Confusion

It All Started as a Dare

Day 8 Monday:

    Day 8 and Monday – the worst day of the week. It's the worse because; one: it's the beginning of the week for school to start; two: that means the weekend is over; and finally three: I slept late on Sunday, so I am freaking tired!

Our date has been postponed and Da Som wants him over Hoon. How bad can it get? Well, it gets worse. Jaeseop isn't here today, so I have to bear with it for the whole day. I heard he was sick, but it was just a rumor Nana told me which she heard from someone else. If I knew where he lived, I would visit him, but no, he wouldn't tell me nor show me.

   Nana met me at my locker and watched me take out my stuff, being all depressed. "What's wrong with you?" she asked.

  What is wrong with me? I don’t understand. Jaeseop's the one that's gone, not Hoon. Why should I be sad because Jaeseop's gone? It's not like I have extreme feelings for him right? Right?!

  I shook my head and managed a smile. "Nothing's wrong. I was thinking, that's all. What about you? You seem happy."

  A wider smile spread through her face and she began to squeal. She hugged me randomly and started jumping, "Kiseop asked me out! Can you believe that! He asked me out!" Again she squealed, clutching her books close to her chest, and bowing her head.

  Kiseop. Where have I heard that name before? Oh yeah, he's the school Kingka in the school, but I barely see him. Sometimes he can be labeled as a player, big time.

  I scrunched my nose. In truth, I don't think she should go out with him. "Kiseop? Him? Why?"

  She gave me a hurt look. "Why not?"

  "Don't you remember all the things he did to other girls? He'd go out with one, and then cheat on her whenever he thinks she gets boring."

  "Well, I won't let him be bored and I won't let him be annoyed. This is the first time I'm going out with somebody. Let me see how it'll work out."

  I sighed. I’ll let her do whatever she likes, but I still think it's a bad choice. "Fine. Don't come crying when he cheats on you, okay?" It was a strange promise, but I don’t want to see my best friend cry.

  "Okay."

  The warning bell rung, indicating we have two minutes to head to class.

  "Let’s head to class," I said as we heard the bell.

  "Alright."

~~~

  Da Som met me after first period and asked me, "So, what's your answer?"

  I tried to speed up to avoid answering, but she blocked my way, extending her arms. Her bag swung on her right arm and her notebook being held on the other. For someone in heels, she could fast-walk right in front of me pretty quickly.

  "Tell me. Do you still want Jaeseop or Hoon?"

  I shrugged and continued walking, but she got in my way again. "What? Why do you want me to answer Da Som? Is it really that important?" I yelled. This was the first time I had guts to yell at her. I'm not sure why now, but my emotions have been jumbled up ever since I started 'dating' Jaeseop. I wished I have never followed up on this dare.

  "All I want to know is your answer. Could it be you like him now?"

  That got me. Do I like him? It's not exactly the same feelings as I had with Hoon. I mean, my heart doesn't flutter the moment I see Jaeseop nor do I blush when he looks back at me. All those things I do when Hoon is around.

  "No!" I said straight forwardly which probably came out too strong.

  She raised both eyebrows. "Then what will you do if Hoon asks you out someday? Will you date him? Will you leave Jaeseop and date HIM." She emphasized the last sentence to see how I would react.

  Here was my answer. I turned my head away and rolled my eyes. "I don't need to tell you."

  Da Som tilted her head and slouched to the side, mouth open and tongue her glossy lips. "Hm... That boy did something to you.  I'm impressed, but that just made me like him even more."

  I glared at her. She better not take my Jaeseop. I won't let her. I know for a fact that he'll never like a girl like her. After all, he did call her a . "Go away." I still couldn't get over the fact that she lied to me about dating Hoon.

  She smirked. "Fine. You better think fast, Hoon is coming." Da Som her heels, flipping her hair in my face.

  Ugh! I could just punch her right now! I wonder how I got through with her for the past few years. I guess it's because this was the first time she wanted me to do something I'm not favoring.

  "Hey." I heard Hoon's voice come from behind me.

  My heart stopped, thinking of him behind me, talking to me. I slowly turned and immediately see his brown eyes. "Hi Hoon." Always, I get captivated by his eyes. Never will I forget those perfect eyes. I can't seem to get mad once I see them. All my emotions disappeared and I forgot I'm mad at him and Da Som.

   All at once, he took my hand and pulled me close into a hug, sending chills and goose bumps up my arm.

  Why is he hugging me? What did I do? I'm glad Jaeseop isn't here or else he would probably scold me for letting this happen. Then again, if Jaeseop does scold me, does that mean he likes me too? No, that can't be it. He seemed more like a fatherly type than a boyfriend type.

  I stiffened and wait for him to let go, but he doesn't. My face was buried into his chest and I could not move a muscle. I let him hold me for a while. I could smell this cinnamon aroma on him, making me feel relaxed.

  He placed both hands on my shoulder and pushed me away from the hug, only to pull me close to him, our lips touching.

  It took me a moment to take this all in. My eyes were wide open and I still couldn't breath. I could feel his soft lips, but it wasn't as great as I have expected. My first kiss from him didn't feel special at all. No sparks, nothing. The whole time he kissed me, my eyes were open. I watched as his eyes were closed and his hand goes down to my waist. No matter how much I didn't like it, I liked him and that made me not want to move. Or was that really the real reason?

  Our lips parted and I didn't meet his gaze. There's no way I could talk to him now. There's nothing I could talk about anyways. The first thing I thought of doing was run. I did, only meeting him once again in second period.

~~~

  I sat at my desk, my seatmate not being here. It felt so lonely without him and seeing Hoon staring at me wasn’t helping. I just can’t look at him in the eyes anymore. Incautiously, I placed a finger to my lips and remember the kiss. Like I said, it wasn’t what I was expecting. It wasn’t exciting.

  I closed my eyes and took in a deep breath. Why did he kiss me in the first place? I don’t see the reason to. Was he only doing it to tease me or did he really mean it?

  I opened my eyes when the bell rang for a break. When I looked up, I found Nana standing before me, hands on her hips and a worried look on her face. “Are you okay, Myung Hee?”

  I nodded slowly. I had many emotions in my head right now. I was feeling confused and lonely. I was confused about the fact that Hoon kissed me and lonely because Jaeseop wasn’t here today. I would usually bother him to death, but since he’s not here, it’s not going to be a typical day. Then again, before I met him I was doing fine! What’s wrong with me now?

  “I’m going to meet up with Kiseop but I just wanted to check up on you first.”

  I managed a weak smile. “You can go.”

  Nana hesitated before leaving me alone. I didn’t want her to get caught up in my situation. I especially didn’t want her to know about the kiss Hoon gave me. It was my first kiss! How should I react to that?

  I sighed. I really miss Jaeseop… Wait! What am I talking about? It’s only for one day! I saw him yesterday and he seemed fine. Did I cause him to get sick? But how? I only annoyed him. It’s not like I had a disease and coughed all over him! I just made him angry. Ah! Why am I being so worried over I guy I don’t exactly love!

  My head was spinning. I think, I myself, is feeling sick at the moment. I rest my head on my desk and waited for our next class to start. I hope Jaeseop would be here tomorrow. It’s boring without him.

~~~

  I was surprised Hoon didn’t confront me the whole day. I did notice he kept glancing in my direction, but he never confronted me. I don’t know what was going on in his mind, but I was glad he didn’t talk to me. I wouldn’t be able to see him the same was as I did before. I don’t know. I guess it was best that he was only a crush – nothing more, nothing less.

  As I was walking home, I kept sighing. Today was the most boring day of my life! Nana kept hanging out with her new boyfriend, Jaeseop wasn’t in school, Da Som just annoyed me to death, and Hoon… I just can’t talk to Hoon.

  Once in my house, I enter my room and plop on my bed, face planted on my pillow. I lift my head to find Jaeseop’s music sheet on my bedside table. I picked it up and read the notes. Please be at school tomorrow. Please. It was boring without you. And I promise I won’t call you kitty!

  I closed my eyes tight. That really was a big mistake in calling Jaeseop Kitty. I’ll never do it again!

  I rolled on my bed. What to do. What to do… Oh yeah, I have homework. Great…