A Strange Truth

It All Started as a Dare

Day 20 Saturday:

  It’s Saturday and the party wasn’t until later on tonight. I wanted to bench out and sleep the whole night, but Umma and Appa told me to help clean like always. Plus they told me to pick out a dress to wear. I had a ton of dresses, but the ones I chose, Umma didn’t agree, so she chose it for me.

  I ended up wearing a baby blue one strap gown. The strap was like roses while the skirt was one of those puffy dresses. It was tight around my waist, but Umma said that’s how it should be. I felt so stiff in that dress. It’s like I couldn’t even move in it!

  Next was my makeup. Umma didn’t want me to put too much, so I put eyeliner, light blue eye shadow, mascara, and lip gloss. Ugh. I don’t understand why we have to celebrate if it’s just about business. Is it really that important?

  When the clock struck 6:30, it was time to head out. The party started at 7 and we didn’t want to be late. I didn’t feel like coming since Jaeseop wouldn’t be there, but oh well. What can I do back at home? Nothing at all!

  During the car ride, I just stared out the window. It was a long drive which caused me to fall asleep. I woke up when Umma announced, “We’re here.”

  We stepped out of our car and went inside. I found out this place was secluded for it was privately owned. The mansion was bigger than I expected and certainly prettier. I wished I could live in a mansion! I wonder what it would be like, but I’m fine with my cozy home.

  When we went inside, I saw many people wearing elegant clothing like mine and sneered. Ah, this is going to be boring! Most of the guests are old and mature. There are a few who are near my age, but they seemed to be more into politics than teenage life.

  I sighed and escaped from Umma and Appa to sit down near the food table. At least I could munch on something once in a while. My eyes wandered around, searching for a familiar face. But then again, I never really cared about Appa’s business. I never come with him to the meetings, knowing I would fall asleep just by hearing one sentence.

  I sighed once again out of boredom and munched on whatever food they had. I grabbed more and sat at the same seat. I look up and found someone staring at me with wide eyes. I stared back, wondering what he’s looking at. I wiped my face, thinking there was something on my face. I continued to watch.

  The boy turned around as another came into view. That same boy shoved the other one away from my view and disappeared into the crowd.

  I shook it off, thinking it was nothing. Boys are strange. As long as they don’t flirt with me, they will be fine. But why did he look so afraid? Do I look that intimidating? All I’m doing is eating!

  I continued to eat until I spot Umma and Appa waving me over. I snorted and got up, placing the plate on my seat. I don’t want anybody to take my spot. I strode towards Umma and Appa and found a man standing in front of them. Not knowing who it was, I curtsied. “Hello,” I greeted politely.

  The man bowed, “So you’re Ms. Lee Myung Hee.”

  “Yes.” Who is this man?

  As if he read my mind, he answered, “I’m Mr. Kim, the owner of the company your father has signed. We will be working with each other from now on.”

  I nodded. Like I said, I don’t really care about the business, but I’m basically the only one who my parents can pass it down to. That is, unless I get a husband. I doubt Jaeseop would want to get it…

  “I’m sure you will also get along with my son. He’s going to be here soon.” The man looks up. “Ah, there he is.”

  I follow his gaze and my eyes immediately widen. On the top step of the staircase, I found Jaeseop standing there, holding onto the rails. He appeared much different from school. His eyes were fierce while his posture was proper, back straight and hands on the rail. He wore a tux as his hair was fixed. He was so handsome. His eyes wandered the ballroom, examining everyone carefully. Soon his eyes met mine and they widened.

  I met his, feeling angry and confused. What’s the meaning of this? He’s the son of a huge company? How come he didn’t tell me that? What’s going on?

  Jaeseop walked down the steps and headed towards us.

  I watched him with cold eyes. He better explain everything to me.

  When he came closer, I glanced at Umma and found her also confused. Her eyes were wide and gaped open. Appa nudged her, bringing her out of her trance.

  Jaeseop bowed and greeted. “It’s nice to meet you.”

  I glared at him.

  He doesn’t glance at me. “Abeoji is this who you were talking about; the one who’s going to be with us in our company?”

  His Abeoji nodded.

  Jaeseop bowed once again.

  “And I was thinking, you two should get married.”

  I clenched my teeth and balled my hands into a fist tightly. I don’t understand what’s going on? Why was Jaeseop hiding something like this? This is certainly crucial information! And now his Abeoji is talkinga bout marriage? I’m not ready for this!

  I opened my mouth to say something, but Jaeseop cuts off, “Abeoji. I think it’s too early to think about that.”

  “It’s never too early when it comes to business.”

  I couldn’t take it anymore and stormed away without a word. I don’t care how rude it was, but I wanted to get away from them. I was angry at Jaeseop for not telling me these things. I thought he was just a normal boy! Why didn’t he tell me anything about owning a business!

  I head outside to the backyard and found it huge! I was on a patio while across was an open field and to the right was a maze. I didn’t dare go in there, afraid I would get lost. Instead, I just walked around the patio.

  “You’re Myung Hee, right?” A familiar voice spoke behind me.

  I spun around and found that same boy who was staring at me earlier. I tilted my head. “Who are you?”

  He bowed. “My name is Kim Kyoungjae, but I like being Eli. We spoke on the phone.”

  So he’s Jaeseop’s brother, but they don’t look alike. But either way, I was still mad. I didn’t say a word and turned around.

  “I’m not really AJ’s brother. Sure we have the same last name, but I’m actually just a friend. My family also owns a business and so does Soohyun. Oh! And Soohyun isn’t AJ’s brother either.” He kept rambling on, but I shut him out.

  “I don’t need you to explain, anything,” I stated, cutting him off.

  He shut his mouth and gulped. “Don’t be mad. Please. He’s doing this for a reason. He didn’t want people to know who he was and have them take advantage of him. That’s why he disguised himself as a nerd. His name isn’t common, but he wanted to see what it’s like to be… Different.”

  I clench my fist. Different. Does that mean I was different years ago? What’s he trying to say? I continue to not talk.

  Someone else entered the patio. “Eli. There you are-” He stopped, noticing me.

  I glare at him. So that’s Soohyun.

  Eli pursed his lips. “I’m sorry, Myung Hee, but please don’t be mad at him.”

  I was mad, but not that much. I just can’t seem to be mad at Jaeseop for too long, but I was confused. “I’m not mad… I’m confused.” I muttered.

  “I can’t really explain everything.” Eli said.

  “If you want to talk to him, he’s in his room,” Soohyun said. “He knew you were coming.”

  Eli’s eyes widened. “He knew all along?”

  He nodded.

  Even I was shocked. He knew all this time, but he didn’t even care to say anything? Without another wait, I brushed passed them, but stopped by the doorway. “Where’s his room?”

  “Upstairs. Turn right and it’s the fifth door to your right.” Eli explained quickly.

  With those directions, I ran inside.

  I followed what Eli said and found Jaeseop’s door closed. I knocked, hearing it echo in the other side.

  “Come in, Myungie.” I heard Jaeseop’s voice call.

  I step inside and found him sitting on his bed, staring at me. He stood. “Close the door.”

  I did and stood awkwardly in the same spot.

  Jaeseop started explaining, knowing I wouldn’t move, “Myungie. I’m sorry for not telling you, but I couldn’t. I wanted to keep it a secret. I wanted to see what you were really like, knowing our family would suggest an arranged marriage. At first, I thought you were just a spoiled brat, but now… I have a different opinion.” He paused and bit his lip. “I didn’t mean to lie to you.”

  I couldn’t look at him. “You didn’t mean to?” I scoffed. “You could have told me! I mean, if we were close, then you would see the real me!”

  “But then you wouldn’t have taken the dare. Then you wouldn’t have forgotten about Hoon! Then you wouldn’t have known what Da Som has done to you!” He exclaimed.

  That’s true. I wouldn’t have known all those things if it weren’t for Jaeseop – if it weren’t for his nerdy self. I bit my lip and bowed my head.

  I felt his finger under my chin as he lifted my head. I stare straight into his eyes as tears rolled down my cheeks. I just couldn’t understand why he did things that way. It worked, but it doesn’t feel right. It felt as if I have been loving someone other than Jaeseop. It felt as if, the Jaeseop I knew wasn’t the one standing before me.

  “Myungie.”

  With those words, I took a step back, bumping into the door. “Why did you lie to me?” I muttered.

  “Like I said-”

  “But you didn’t have to!” This argument was just going in circles! I don’t care because I still couldn’t understand his motive. “I mean, if… if…” I began sobbing. “I-I-” I couldn’t talk anymore.

  Jaeseop placed a finger to my lips. “Sh… Breathe. Just breathe.” He said in a soothing voice.

  I did what he said and took a deep breath. I bit my lip as I gazed into his eyes. “Just promise me you won’t lie to me anymore.”

  He nodded. “I promise.”

  I closed my eyes. “No more secrets?”

  “No more.”

  I sighed. “What about the arranged marriage thing?”

  “If you don’t want it, I can ask my father. We’re still young to be married anyways.”

  “Yeah.” My eyes wandered around his face, noticing how close he was. “I don’t want the marriage, but I do want to be with you.” I muttered.

  “I do, too,” he whispered, getting closer and closer.

  I could feel his warm breath and closed my eyes, waiting.

  Soon I felt his lips press against mine, gently as we kissed.

  When we parted, I reopen my eyes and smiled. “Let’s go back to the party.”

  He nodded and held out a hand.

  I took it and we returned to the party.

~~~~

Answers some things, right? :D More coming! The drama will start soon!