Punishment

It All Started as a Dare

Day 27 Saturday:

  Today, I felt like walking around. I told Umma that I would be walking around town for a bit to clear my mind. I had my phone just in case something comes up or something happens to me.

  I head out the door and looked at the scenery. It was peaceful today because I know I won’t see Jaeseop or anybody I knew from school unless they were walking around too. But most likely they would be at the mall or some place like that. I doubt they would go to the park… Hmm...

  I was wrong.

  When I entered the park, I found nearly the whole junior class there. Was there some kind of field trip or what?

  Students stared at me as I passed by but no one dared to come up and talk to me except for one. It was one of my “friends” from Da Som’s group. She was the one who suggested the punishment in the first place. She bowed and said, “Da Som is waiting for you at the fountain.”

  I stared at her. So she knew I was going here. How come? Oh, now I remember. I told her years ago when I’m in a bad mood, I would go in the park to relax myself. I should have never told her that.

  I sighed and bowed back at her. “Thanks.” Time for the punishment, huh? She even invited people from school to see my embarrassment. I wonder what she’s going to do to me. I don’t care anymore since there’s no need to care what people think. It’s not like they’ll remember it their whole life, will they?

  I strode to the fountain, finding people from school gathering. As I neared, they stared and made way for me. I found Da Som next to the fountain sitting on a bench, legs crossed and arms over her chest.

  When I was in front of her, she smirked and looked up at me. Without tearing away from my gaze, she stood up and placed her hands on her hips. “Are you ready for your punishment?” She asked.

  I rolled my eyes. “Just get on with it.”

  She tapped her chin. “What should I do now that you’re here? You’re already torn because of the break up but that’s not enough.” Her eyes roll up as she thought deeper.

  I gritted my teeth. Can’t she just get this over with?

  Da Som must have noticed my reaction for she grabbed my shoulders and pushed me into the fountain.

  Water came in my mouth and as I rise, I spilt that water out. The first thing I heard was laughing. These people are so immature! What the hell! Why do they need to be here anyways?

  “Smile!” Da Som announced as she took a picture of me in her phone. “I’ll be sending this…” She stuffed her phone in her pocket and cocked her hip.

  Is it over now?

  “You should find some clothes to wear.”

  Apparently not. I already knew what she was going to do.

  A girl from her group came up to her, carrying a bag. I stared at it as she pulled out a hideous wool sweater and striped pants that does not match at all. It was horrible.

  “Here. This is all I have,” Da Som announced and dropped it on the bench. Her eyes darted all around. “You don’t mind changing here, now do you?”

  I sneered and stood. Quickly, I reached out for her, but the weight of the water slowed my movements. Da Som managed to back up before I could grab her. She laughed mockingly. “Oh ho! Someone is trying to get her own revenge! Too bad honey, once on the bottom, always will be. No matter what, you can’t bring me down with you.”

  I clenched my fist. She’s definitely going to get something from me. I raised my fist, but a voice stopped me.

  “What are you doing, Da Som?”

  I followed the voice and my eyes widened. “Jaeseop,” I mumbled.

  Da Som looked terrified, but it disappeared when she realized it was Jaeseop. “Oh, it’s just you. You missed the best part! No wait, the best part will be next.” She held up the clothes she would be giving me.

  He glared at her. “Enough of this.”

  “Not after I get my revenge.”

  “What the hell is wrong with you? What did she do to you to make her deserve this?”

  She sneered. “She lost. She lost the dare.”

  “I don’t care if it was a dare. You shouldn’t be doing it.” Jaeseop came up to me and held out a hand.

  I so was surprised at the hand, I just stared at it and back at his face. What’s going on? I took it and let him pull me out of the fountain. It was cold and I began to shiver. Jaeseop held me close, warming me up.

  Da Som scoffed. “You’re such an idiot. You don’t know your place.”

  “What place? There has never been a caste system in school. That is irrelevant.” Jaeseop’s grip tightened.

  Why is he holding me like this? Why now?

  She rolled her eyes. “Whatever. I’m done arguing with you. You’re so annoying.” She flipped her hair and walked away. “Come on girls. These trash aren’t worth our time. I’m done with my fun.” Da Som glanced at us one last time before completely disappearing from out sight.

  The crowd of student lessened as the show was over.

  Jaeseop glared at each and every one of them. “Such immature people,” he muttered. Realizing he was still holding on to me, he released me and walked off.

  Just like that, he’s not going to talk to me?

  I caught up to him, finally wanting to talk. I grabbed his sleeve.

  He stopped but his back was completely turned to me.

  I opened my mouth to say words, but nothing came out. I wanted to say, Come back to me. Please Jaeseop. I can’t live without you. Instead, I closed it and let him go. I dropped my hands to my side and stared at the ground as tears started to flow.

  I heard his retreating footsteps as he was walking away from me. I cried even harder as I realized he was going to leave me like this. Why was he being like this? I’m so lonely without him.

  I shivered as a breeze blew by. I was still wearing my wet clothes. I couldn’t go home like this or else Umma would worry. Also I don’t want to wear those hideous clothing and have everyone see me like that. It’s a long way from here to home.

  I felt a hand touch my shoulder. I looked up and frowned. “Hoon.”

 He sighed. “I know you’re not happy I’m not Jaeseop, but I was expecting that.”

  I wiped my tears with my hand and sniffled. “I’m sorry.”

  “No. I’m fine. But I came here to help you.” He took out a piece of cloth and wiped the smeared tears. “Don’t worry, I always wash this and I didn’t use it so it’s cleaned,” he explained, talking about the cloth.

  I let him wipe my tears as if I was a child who smeared food all over their face. When he was done, I weakly smiled. “Thank you.”

  He chuckled. “First sorry, now thanks?” He patted my head. “You’re cute.” Hoon took off his jacket and wrapped it around your shoulder. “Wear this. I’ll buy some clothes for you. Don’t move.” Quickly, he ran off.

  I stood there, kicking my feet on the ground. Since when was Hoon so caring? Or maybe he’s always been like that but all I’ve noticed was the side I have imagined him to be. I imagined him as y and a bit of a player, but he had a soft side to him like a bunny. I smiled at that thought and waited patiently for him to return.

  The moment he did, he was panting hard.

  I smiled as he handed me new clothes. They were of my taste and I was glad he knew what to pick. “Thanks.”

  “No problem. There’s a restroom near, so you could change there.”

  I bowed. “I’ll see you on Monday.”

  He bowed too and grinned brightly. “Same. Bye, Myung Hee… Oh! And if you ever need help, ask me. I’ll help you.”

  I nodded and smiled weakly. With that, I retreated to the restroom.

  No matter how kind Hoon is to me, I just can’t seem to love him the same way as I did in the past. I’m starting to think of him more as a brother rather than a lover. I guess that’s what you called brotherly love. As for Jaeseop, I know I love him as a lover and nothing else. I won’t give up on him.

~~~

   Hoon is sweet and all but... I miss Jaeseop LOL! And I'm the author and Hoon's my ultimate bias! Oh well! Myung Hee loves Jaeseop more and Nana would be fine with Hoon, don't you think? :D